Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Jan. 3rd 2019 Upgrade Master Thread

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Jan. 3rd 2019 Upgrade Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-19, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts
Re: Jan. 3rd 2019 Upgrade Master Thread

Originally Posted by b2net
On mobile, it is hard to discern the bold text that signifies a section (ie Blu Ray Bargains, HD Talk, etc) has threads with new posts, from non bold section titles that do not have new posts. Once inside the section, the red indicator is helpful to know which threads have new posts.
I see what you mean. I will alert tech.
Old 01-04-19, 03:01 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by kefrank
Thanks. Can I get a courtesy PM explaining why my post was edited by you? I understand there's a lot going on right now and moderating requires significant effort, but no post should ever be edited by a moderator without providing an explanation to the poster or putting the reason in the explanation field if the moderator feels it helpful to make the reason public.

As it stands, I have no idea what was wrong with the content that you deleted. But if this is how moderation is going to be done going forward, then I think I'll be kissing this place goodbye.
I think that may have been IBobi who edited or deleted your post. Keep in mind that we are also not volunteer moderators, but paid employees of DVD Talk's parent company. Also, I'll PM you.
Old 01-04-19, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by IBJoel
I think that may have been IBobi who edited or deleted your post. Keep in mind that we are also not volunteer moderators, but paid employees of DVD Talk's parent company. Also, I'll PM you.
You're right, it was IBobi - I got you two confused. My fault. I understand that as paid employees of IB, you're not volunteer moderators, but anyone in authority treating users this way is unacceptable, IMO. I'll look forward to your PM.

Edited to add: IBJoel did contact me and provide a much-appreciated explanation. Some content of my post broke a rule I wasn't aware of.

Last edited by kefrank; 01-04-19 at 03:20 PM.
Old 01-04-19, 03:13 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

There is. It just doesn't open a new page specifically for that post, simply sets it at the top of the screen.
Can this be fixed please? I go to individual posts for much of my time spent here, and having it load the entire page, especially if I want to take advantage of infinite scroll, is a pain.
Old 01-04-19, 03:16 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Trevor

Can this be fixed please? I go to individual posts for much of my time spent here, and having it load the entire page, especially if I want to take advantage of infinite scroll, is a pain.
It should be doable. I'll ask tech.
Old 01-04-19, 03:42 PM

Editing posts in iOS safari, at least trying to add in formatting codes like bolding and such, is pretty much not possible. Have tried mobile and full site version. I select a word to add a formatting code, and if I try to drag the slider to select the text I want to affect, it selects the whole page.
Old 01-04-19, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 346 Posts

Didn't notice this yesterday, but today - in the Politics forum - all apostrophes are showing up as boxes (ansii ??). Haven't seen it in other forums I view. I'm using Vivaldi on my PC.

edited to add: Just checked the same post in Firefox - and it's fine there. Maybe a browser issue.
Old 01-04-19, 04:10 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Bronkster
Didn't notice this yesterday, but today - in the Politics forum - all apostrophes are showing up as boxes (ansii ??). Haven't seen it in other forums I view. I'm using Vivaldi on my PC.

edited to add: Just checked the same post in Firefox - and it's fine there. Maybe a browser issue.
What browser was the problem in? IE/Edge?
Old 01-04-19, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Editing posts in iOS safari, at least trying to add in formatting codes like bolding and such, is pretty much not possible. Have tried mobile and full site version. I select a word to add a formatting code, and if I try to drag the slider to select the text I want to affect, it selects the whole page.
Are you using the mobile skin on iOS or desktop skin?
Old 01-04-19, 04:13 PM
Administrator

I spoke with tech and this cannot be fixed, unfortunately.
Old 01-04-19, 04:22 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
This statement from the announcement at the top of the forum is not true, at least not for me:

The navigation at the bottom of my screen stays there at all times, but the one at the top scrolls right off when I'm scrolling down. If I scroll up a little, it re-appears, but as soon as I start to move down again, it's gone. It's actually kind of annoying when it re-appears while scrolling up. I would prefer if it was either always there or only at the real top of the page.

I'm using Chrome on a Windows 10 PC.
Should be good now
Old 01-04-19, 04:27 PM

Are you using the mobile skin on iOS or desktop skin?
Tried both.

also reset my cache (losing all my open tabs, but that’s my fault)

the new update doesn’t automatically capitalize the first word of a new line.

also, could have sworn there used to be a “stay logged in” check at out log-in section here. Not there anymore, I’ve had to re-log in multiple times this hour.
Old 01-04-19, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Bronkster

What browser was the problem in? IE/Edge?
Vivaldi
Old 01-04-19, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Tried both.

also reset my cache (losing all my open tabs, but that’s my fault)

the new update doesn’t automatically capitalize the first word of a new line.

also, could have sworn there used to be a “stay logged in” check at out log-in section here. Not there anymore, I’ve had to re-log in multiple times this hour.
I have informed tech of the text editing issue.

The "Stay Logged In" box has disappeared, but you should just be staying logged in by default (unless you are incognito/private). I will investigate.
Old 01-04-19, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jesus this looks like shit.
Old 01-04-19, 05:08 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Ha, if you can do any better, contact IBJoel for a job and make it look the way you want.

Few settings adjustments and I’m fine with the changes. Not as hyped about the changes needed to accommodate more ads, but I know this shit’s free, so I’m fine with it.
Old 01-04-19, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

Edge/IE are not supported. What's the issue with FireFox? Please post screenshots.
It was very sluggish yesterday. I haven't checked it on Firefox since.

Positive comment: As kefrank noted already, I do like separation between sticky threads and regular ones.
Old 01-04-19, 05:26 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

shutting off the infinity thread bullshit is key.
Old 01-04-19, 05:27 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
It was very sluggish yesterday. I haven't checked it on Firefox since.

Positive comment: As kefrank noted already, I do like separation between sticky threads and regular ones.
From my testing on FF today, it seemed to be up to speed, even while running Chrome.
Old 01-04-19, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Should be good now
Now I don't have either navigation bar, which isn't really a problem for me, but it's probably not what you want.
Old 01-04-19, 05:39 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by VinVega
I don't see the ads plastered everywhere when I'm logged into my account and ready to post. I do see them everywhere if I'm not logged in. I mean everywhere. It's actually slowing my chrome browser down significantly. So you're still seeing ads if you're logged in?
it's not the ads, it's the white space with no ads that is the problem. the site looks absolutely terrible now and i really don't enjoy it as much with this unlimited scrolling, everything looks bunched up and the damn white space.

i did a system restore to a week ago, but nothing changed
Old 01-04-19, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

I see what you mean. I will alert tech.
Thank you.
Old 01-04-19, 06:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
it's not the ads, it's the white space with no ads that is the problem. the site looks absolutely terrible now and i really don't enjoy it as much with this unlimited scrolling, everything looks bunched up and the damn white space.

Try posting a screen shot of your whole screen.

Mine looks like this

The space on the right is for ads that support the site. Sometimes the space is blank. This is how it is now.
Old 01-04-19, 06:44 PM
Premium Member

Received 692 Likes on 463 Posts

You can turn off the unlimited scrolling.
Old 01-04-19, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

no offense, but this looks horrible. it looks amateurish and bad now. so much white space. i thought something happened. this is really a terrible layout sorry to say. we struggled for members for so long, this ain't gonna help new comers...
This. It reminds me of when we launched the website for our local softball and t-ball programs. The site we used was free, but the ads overshadowed the content. (Once we determined parents were going to use it, we decided pretty quickly to pay the money to upgrade and dump the ads.)

The ads across the top, down the side, and between posts all at the same time are annoying. It just means I have to retrain my eyes to ignore them and reprogram my muscle memory when clicking. I do find it humorous to have the same ad in all three positions at once though. That is a bit much.

But, if you aren't buying it means you are the product. My guess is we will eventually see a re-launch of paid memberships that will clear out all (or most) of the ads.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.