Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Jan. 3rd 2019 Upgrade Master Thread

Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Jan. 3rd 2019 Upgrade Master Thread

Old 01-07-19, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,875 Likes on 1,235 Posts
Re: Jan. 3rd 2019 Upgrade Master Thread

Originally Posted by Gooter
How do you go from the full version back to mobile? I don't see the 'hamburger' icon in the full version. Thanks
Scroll down to the very bottom of the page. There’ll be a big button.
Old 01-07-19, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Scroll down to the very bottom of the page. There’ll be a big button.
Thanks! Wow, can't believe I missed it.
Old 01-07-19, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Received 1,066 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Now I don't have either navigation bar, which isn't really a problem for me, but it's probably not what you want.
"Sticky" navigation bars are only available with Infinite Scroll.
Old 01-07-19, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I think that is something that we tend to forget ... that this forum, and any other forum, is actually a business. If we want the forum to thrive and continue to exist, I suppose we should be asking "What can we do?" instead of just complaining about what is being "done to us".

Whether it is DVDTalk or Facebook, it may have been created by a guy in his bedroom with a passion (PHRASING!) but it ultimately has to be able to turn a profit or at least support itself.

So ... Joel, what can we do to support the forum? (I'll tell you now, I don't pay attention to ads let alone actually click on them on purpose.)
I mean, essentially just allowing the ads to be there is going to help. However, I did ask our business team if a paid membership that would eliminate ads is feasible.
Old 01-07-19, 09:35 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I guess my question is ... what exactly were the upgrades?

It's a new look, but actually restructuring the forums into more current/relevant topics than we had almost 20 years ago (Jesus, I have wasted my life away but you guys have kept me entertained) would have gone further IMO.
Well I'm not a tech guy, but basically we had to upgrade to a new PHP or stuff would start breaking (more than what is currently not working). We could also be getting a new gallery, which allows for better file uploading. I know that product is incompatible with the older version.
Old 01-07-19, 09:37 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Actually, it looks like you just tuned off Infinite scroll for me. When I turn it back on, the top bar still goes away as I scroll down.
That's normal. It should reappear as you begin to scroll back up, though.
Old 01-07-19, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
I appreciate all the attention that Joel is giving us.

The ads are unfortunate, but IB bought the site to make money. That's life.

I've read that Internet Explorer is losing market share, but it's pretty funny that vBulletin can't even be bothered to support it. Take that, Microsoft! Bam!

I do not like the automatic logout. I liked the "stay logged in" checkbox.
From what I've heard, Microsoft's switch to Chromium should be helping with usability.
Old 01-07-19, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
The editor is broken. Different issues with different choices.

Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls:

Seems to work OK if you're editing a post inline. However, switch to "Advanced" mode and it will not stretch to the width of the screen as before. The max is maybe 1/3rd (at least on my screen). The "corner adjust" will allow it to be pulled down as far as you want but it can't be pulled across.

Replying to a post presents an editor interface like the "Advanced" mode - unable to pull to screen width.

Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing:

Also seems to work OK if you're editing a post inline or creating a new post. When it's switched to "Advanced" you completely lose the "corner adjust" control and have a small box in which to edit/create your post. It will have scroll bars, vertical and horizontal, depending on post content.

Replying to a post presents an editor interface like the "Advanced" mode - unable to adjust editor size at all.

Enhanced Interface - Full CKEditor Editing:

Seems OK editing inline, creating, or replying in any mode. BUT if you have a post to which you've added color using the Standard Editor those colors do not show in the edit window so you have no idea what you've done or how to go about fixing any color related issues. Your only choice is to switch to either "Standard/Extra" or "Enhanced/WYSIWYG" to make necessary adjustments. However, leaving either editors active then brings the issues specific to them.

I think that's it on those but I've not spent the time to fully test every function. Suffice it to say that each is broken in some manner making using the editor, especially editing/updating previous posts, something those of us doing challenges do frequently, and/or replying to others an arduous task.
Full CKEditor is the only one optimized for the new site. You are correct that it does not support colored text. This may be fixed later on, but there are no plans for it at this time.
Old 01-07-19, 09:52 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Meathead
With infinite scroll off it isn't that bad... just take a little getting used to.

Great more ads, more chances for the takeover BS that's plagued the mobile site for much longer than it ever should have.
What I'm hoping is that the 3rd-party software we've been using on other sites (and this one) to reduce hijacks will actually have better functionality now that the site has updated. I'll ask our ads team if that will be the case.
Old 01-07-19, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by OldBoy
this site is really bumming me out. i even liked the reviews section and don't even see it anymore. i sad...
I'll PM you about the whitespace. The review section is being worked on to be restored. I'm the editor of those, so it's high on my list, as you can imagine.
Old 01-07-19, 09:56 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by slop101
Yeah, even with ads, I have a huge white border on the right.
How did this redesign pass testing?
You have ads on the right and you still have a ton of white space? Could you please post a screenshot?
Old 01-07-19, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by stingermck
Used the mobile site a little bit last night. When I clicked on a thread it does not take me back to the first new replay/unread post. I have to click the last page link and find the where I left off.
Bad forum redesigns can kill a sites community. I've seen it happen before.
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I had that problem as well. The infinite scroll (which I’m not a fan of anywhere) makes the board jumpy. I shut it off and have had no issues since.
On mobile, to the right of the thread title, you should see a speech bubble with a red dot in it. That should take you to the First Unread Post in that thread.
Old 01-07-19, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
On Chrome, I get the message that "This page is unresponsive. Do you want to wait or exit this page?" a lot. If I click wait, the warning appears again every 20 seconds. When I click exit, it just go away.
Can you provide me with the URL of a page where this is happening?
Old 01-07-19, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by IBJoel
You have ads on the right and you still have a ton of white space? Could you please post a screenshot?
I have ads in between posts and on the right only at the top of a page, not as I scroll down.

But honestly, if an ad is supposed to take up that entire white space, that's eve worse.
I know you gotta make money with ads, but when overly obtrusive ads turn people away, you're just gonna get even less eyeballs.
Get rid of the margin ads and put in more ads between posts.
And I know you don't have control over this, but the ads with automatically streaming videos are the worst - they really slow things down, making me close the page. Or turn on ad-block. I don't have a problem with ads, I have a problem when they slow down my browser.
Old 01-07-19, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

I can't get to the end of the 2019 Pro Wrestling thread in the sports forum. Just stops at post #38 and I've tried it on multiple devices.
Old 01-07-19, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Timber
I can't get to the end of the 2019 Pro Wrestling thread in the sports forum. Just stops at post #38 and I've tried it on multiple devices.
Separate issue that I have now fixed.
Old 01-07-19, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by slop101
I have ads in between posts and on the right only at the top of a page, not as I scroll down.
But honestly, if an ad is supposed to take up that entire white space, that's eve worse.
I know you gotta make money with ads, but when overly obtrusive ads turn people away, you're just gonna get even less eyeballs.
Get rid of the margin ads and put in more ads between posts.
And I know you don't have control over this, but the ads with automatically streaming videos are the worst - they really slow things down, making me close the page. Or turn on ad-block. I don't have a problem with ads, I have a problem when they slow down my browser.
Ads may be of various sizes. I can ask about substituting ads between posts, but from what I've read here, most people oppose those more than banner and side ads.
Old 01-07-19, 01:06 PM
Admin

Received 465 Likes on 305 Posts

Thank you for fixing the forum jump drop down. It works as before now.
Old 01-07-19, 01:18 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts

Ads may be of various sizes. I can ask about substituting ads between posts, but from what I've read here, most people oppose those more than banner and side ads.
Understand that ads are necessary.
I’d vote that ad’s are preferable on the side or bottom, and between posts would be the worst spot.
Old 01-07-19, 01:29 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts

A tweak made sometime today has completley hosed the tables in this thread, and all the past survivor threads.
https://forum.dvdtalk.com/sports-tal...th-annual.html

IBJoel and IB in general, we often get the impression that IB doesn’t appreciate the community aspect of this site, and the types of threads that make this a community. Sure, some people just come here for reviews, or for political talk, or for dvd deal threads, but a key part of the lifeblood of this site, what keeps a good chunk of people coming here for 20 years now, are the community threads; the monthly Challenges, the yearly sports contests, the sheep games, the ‘exclusive’ threads that normal users religiously maintain for free. Many of these threads rely on tables and fancy formatting. Big changes like this update should have been made with the actual users and how they post in mind.
Old 01-07-19, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 648 Likes on 470 Posts

Full CKEditor is the only one optimized for the new site. You are correct that it does not support colored text. This may be fixed later on, but there are no plans for it at this time.
OK... so will the other editors be optimized for the new site? I find the limitations of CKEditor more restrictive than the others. It has *some* good points but not enough to warrant switching to it exclusively.

Based on what I regularly post I'll absolutely be sticking with the "Standard Enhanced" editor as it offers the best overall functionality for me. I'd guess there are many others who participate in the challenges that feel much the same.
Old 01-07-19, 03:26 PM
Administrator

Update: I am working with the tech and business teams to get adjustments made on ad layouts for logged-in users. We don't currently have an ETA, but I would say by end of week.
Old 01-07-19, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
OK... so will the other editors be optimized for the new site? I find the limitations of CKEditor more restrictive than the others. It has *some* good points but not enough to warrant switching to it exclusively.

Based on what I regularly post I'll absolutely be sticking with the "Standard Enhanced" editor as it offers the best overall functionality for me. I'd guess there are many others who participate in the challenges that feel much the same.
They won't be optimized, but they aren't going anywhere. On sites where we've made this update over a year ago, they're still available as editors and we've had only a few compatibility issues.

Last edited by ibobi; 01-07-19 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-07-19, 05:03 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts

Any chance we can get the "Panic" button back? The settings for it are still there in the User CP.
Old 01-07-19, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Can you provide me with the URL of a page where this is happening?
I got it on every thread last night but now it's not happening. If I get it, I'll post the link in here. BTW, I'm on a desktop with Chrome.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.