Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

My Closed Thread

Old 12-10-18, 04:08 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Closed Thread

[QUOTEMod Note: darkblue....... if you're going to start a thread about a potentially volatile topic by dropping a nearly 1-hour video with no comment of your own, that isn't going to work. I'm closing this thread, and thanks for understanding.][/QUOTE]

No problem. Maybe I'll try again. How much of a comment do you want?
Old 12-10-18, 04:21 PM

Received 1,893 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Re: My Closed Thread

Hi darkblue,

As I say, welcome back! Not sure what about Jimmy Fallon at the Oscars made you come in from the dark and from out of the blue (that's my Dad Joke of the day), but welcome back all the same.

The official line is this:
Just posting an article and link, particularly as the first post in a thread, w/o any additional commentary to continue the dialog is not allowed. If it's good enough to post it's worth commenting on as well.

In those 5 years or so you were gone (or at least not posting), we had trouble with people posting a baiting thread title, tossing out a news story or video, and then basically not engaging, even in their first post. So, I'd say a good rule of thumb for any post - not just the original post of the thread - is to say here's where you're at one the issue, here's why you think that way, here's a question you have for others, here's some context to the video or story you're posting and why you think it's important, maybe a question or two about it. I'd say that could get a thread going.

All of that said, please remember that threads where the OP has their mind made up on a topic seldom go the way the OP wants them to go, so proceed with that in mind especially with potentially divisive topics.

Also, moving this thread to "Feedback."
Old 12-10-18, 04:33 PM
Banned

You think that discussing how guys are reporting some women for tax evasion is divisive, huh?

Or is it just all men v women subject matter that's gonna cause a problem here?
Old 12-10-18, 04:33 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

To add to what Story said, in the past we have had people hiding behind videos in order to stifle discussion. "Just watch the video!" This makes dialogue difficult as people are responding to a video rather than posts. Not saying that's what's happening this time around, but that's why we have the rule.

If a point in the video is good enough to share, then restate it in the post so that we can discuss it with you, rather than with a video that is unlikely to respond to our posts.
Old 12-10-18, 04:43 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I thought that rule only applies in the Politics forum.
Old 12-10-18, 04:54 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by darkblue
You think that discussing how guys are reporting some women for tax evasion is divisive, huh?
It would take actually posting your own thoughts instead of a 50-minute skype call between two internet dweebs in order for a "discussion" to happen.

Posting a Tim Pool / Carl Benjamin video call with no comment of your own is a good indication that you're not interested in discussing these topics honestly. Especially since your thread title seemed to be a lot more, shall we say, overreaching (Men, women, relationships, MGTOW, all that stuff!) than the video (trolls discussing trolls being trolls to women).

What was your goal? To discuss these guys who are disturbingly obsessed with discussing other guys who are disturbingly obsessed with cam girls? Fascinating!!
Old 12-10-18, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

^

I had to google "MGTOW"
Old 12-10-18, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by darkblue

Or is it just all men v women subject matter that's gonna cause a problem here?
Yes, I think posting a video with no comment about men reporting women for alleged tax evasion as the opening "discussion" to a thread vaguely entitled, "Men, Women, Relationships, Feminism, MGTOW and All That Stuff" with a "men v women" mindset is going to be quite divisive, absolutely. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

Again, it's okay to try to post a thread about this stuff, just set yourself up for success. If you want to start a thread about the former, please make the thread title about the specific issue and post a comment if you're going to post the video. If you want to start a thread about the latter, you can do that, too, but is it too snarky to ask not to do that? I honestly just don't see any of that going well for long. But hey, I could be wrong. I'm trying to work with you here. If you're going to play Monopoly you'd best know how Monopoly is played.

Originally Posted by Mabuse
You might be right and I'm forgetting something. Given the thread in question, I'll not only stick by my decision but also advocate that it isn't the worst rule to have applied across the boards.
Old 12-10-18, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts

Without even opening the thread, when I saw the title I assumed it would get moved to the Politics forum anyway, so seems like a moot point.
Old 12-10-18, 05:06 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

You are correct, in this case the video probably should have been dropped in the "Random Video Thread".
Old 12-10-18, 05:07 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sonic
I had to google "MGTOW"
You poor, innocent soul. I'm surprised you haven't noticed the acronym used here before. There's a couple guys here who are (were?) very much, umm... into that mindset (by their own words, they've mentioned 'MGTOW' themselves. I'm not throwing insults...)
Old 12-10-18, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
You are correct, in this case the video probably should have been dropped in the "Random Video Thread".
In my opinion that would have been the corrective measure.

Originally Posted by Dan
You poor, innocent soul. I'm surprised you haven't noticed the acronym used here before.

I'm not into internet slang.
Old 12-10-18, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,013 Likes on 837 Posts

Yeah, I only encountered MGTOW, red pill, incel, and similar terms here, and every time I've googled something I've regretted it. It all just seems like nasty stuff to me.
Old 12-10-18, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
You're right, thank you. You too, Mabuse.
Old 12-10-18, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts

Here I thought MGTOW was about Gremlins
Old 12-10-18, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,877 Posts

I’d wager that most here aren’t going to waste precious time and bandwidth watching redpill youtube videos.
Old 12-10-18, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 507 Likes on 351 Posts

[poke]

[poke]

Is this thread still alive?
Old 12-10-18, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by story

You might be right and I'm forgetting something. Given the thread in question, I'll not only stick by my decision but also advocate that it isn't the worst rule to have applied across the boards.
There was a whole thread for and against this back in the day. I was on the against side (outside of the Politics Forum).

I'm sure the actual Thread can be dug up by more inquiring minds.
Old 12-10-18, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Yeah, I only encountered MGTOW, red pill, incel, and similar terms here, and every time I've googled something I've regretted it. It all just seems like nasty stuff to me.
Same here, though the first time I heard about "incels" is when that van driver mowed down 10 pedestrians earlier this year. Seems there are many loony-tunes subcultures lurking about, quite a few of them involving disgruntled men seeking an outlet for their rage.
Old 12-10-18, 10:32 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

This isn't the thread for it, but if you want a good overview of Incels and their self-destructive behavior, I strongly recommend the ContraPoints video on the topic (search "contrapoints incels" on YouTube and it'll be the first hit). It's 35 minutes, but it's actually an explainer of the topic from a somewhat sympathetic point of view, not just two random assholes on Skype for an hour.
Old 12-11-18, 06:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dan
It would take actually posting your own thoughts instead of a 50-minute skype call between two internet dweebs in order for a "discussion" to happen.!
Dweebs, ay?

Nice.

Last edited by darkblue; 12-11-18 at 09:01 PM. Reason: I use multi quote when I wanna use multi quote.
Old 12-11-18, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
Same here, though the first time I heard about "incels" is when that van driver mowed down 10 pedestrians earlier this year. Seems there are many loony-tunes subcultures lurking about, quite a few of them involving disgruntled men seeking an outlet for their rage.
Back in when I was much younger they were just called losers. Seriously, women have been avoiding guys like them long before they started trying to manufacture new terms and excuses.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 12-11-18 at 11:46 AM.
Old 12-11-18, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Two locked threads. Very auspicious start.
Old 12-11-18, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Two locked threads. Very auspicious start.
Seems to be more like... deliberate.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 12-11-18 at 10:06 AM.
Old 12-11-18, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Seem to be more like... deliberate.
Would not be surprising.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.