Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Mods: Regarding the George HW Bush thread

Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Old 12-01-18, 06:25 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

My feeling is that Supermallet jumps into a thread like that with the vilest things he can say, with the intent of creating a ton of backlash and anger, expressly so that the thread will get locked, so no one will discuss anything good about the subject.

It’s pure hecklers veto. He’s the THIRD FUCKING POST! It’s absurd.

Closing the thread is what he wants. He wants his nasty flatulence to be tasted and smelled and then he wants the bathroom doors locked so no one can air it out.

Intentionally or not you mods are complicit in him spreading bullshit and stifling honest discussion.
Old 12-01-18, 07:08 PM

Received 1,832 Likes on 1,091 Posts
Re: Mods: Regarding the George HW Bush thread

I'm not sure what you think any of us would respond in public to all of that.

Let's say I agree with you about another member. Do you think I'm going to say that here? Or let's say I have a change of heart about closing the thread. Is this the place where I'm going to say, yeah, not my best call? I mean, what are you looking for here? I can tell you're frustrated and that's unfortunate, and I'm honestly feeling stuck on how to respond to you here.

I'm reminded of when I used to teach college courses and someone would ask for a deadline extension on their paper, right in front of the while class. Um, buddy, that's a question for office hours or email.
Old 12-01-18, 07:52 PM
Banned

I guess I’m that guy. I don’t do a lot of talking to mods or reporting threads or PM’ing.
Old 12-01-18, 10:47 PM
Admin

Received 459 Likes on 301 Posts

I agree the thread hijack/thread crap/shitstorm was wrong and it has been dealt with. I'm not going to go into any further detail about specific posters.
Old 12-03-18, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 129 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by story
I'm not sure what you think any of us would respond in public to all of that.

Let's say I agree with you about another member. Do you think I'm going to say that here? Or let's say I have a change of heart about closing the thread. Is this the place where I'm going to say, yeah, not my best call? I mean, what are you looking for here? I can tell you're frustrated and that's unfortunate, and I'm honestly feeling stuck on how to respond to you here.

I'm reminded of when I used to teach college courses and someone would ask for a deadline extension on their paper, right in front of the while class. Um, buddy, that's a question for office hours or email.
The larger concern, and the reason I rarely post in or even visit the politics subforum anymore, is something you mention in that thread.

Originally Posted by story
And on a personal note, here's an idea: if your leading emotion when you want to post is anger, don't post.
Frankly, the majority of the posts in the subforum these days seem to be rooted in anger (some of it justified), and it has become more of an echo chamber than a place for civil discussion.
Old 12-03-18, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 306 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by printerati
frankly, the majority of the posts in the subforum these days seem to be rooted in anger (some of it justified), and it has become more of an echo chamber than a place for civil discussion.
+1
Old 12-03-18, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,452 Posts

Unfortunately we live in an angry, shitty world these days, it tends to bleed into everything.
Old 12-03-18, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 873 Likes on 644 Posts

If only we had a leader who fought for peace and equality rather than violence and winning. You know, lead by example and all.
Old 12-03-18, 12:47 PM

Do you mean Funny Groucho or Regular Groucho?
Old 12-03-18, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 168 Likes on 119 Posts

It's like Sexy Groucho never existed...
Old 12-03-18, 03:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by printerati

Frankly, the majority of the posts in the subforum these days seem to be rooted in anger (some of it justified), and it has become more of an echo chamber than a place for civil discussion.
In all honesty, the statement made by Supermallet in that thread didn't seem to come from a place of anger at all. I don't think Story really characterized it correctly when he called it that.

It was more like hard line political opposition. That, along with a strategic gaming of the forum system where he posts controversial stuff as fast as possible in order to turn the conversation ugly and get the thread locked before anyone can say anything nice about the ex-President. Because anyone saying anything nice undermines his allegiance to a movement that sees all Presidents as war criminals and seeks to dismantle our government and economy.
Old 12-03-18, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

I think it was Mabuse who suggested a "Pro" and "Con" thread when a President and/or politician dies so by the thread title itself, a poster would know better than to make abnormally-negative remarks in a "Pro" thread.

Maybe this should be looked at more seriously.
Old 12-03-18, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mabuse
In all honesty, the statement made by Supermallet in that thread didn't seem to come from a place of anger at all. I don't think Story really characterized it correctly when he called it that.
That assumes a lot about what and/or whom I was referring to there. My thought was an idea for everyone.
Old 12-03-18, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It seems pretty ridiculous to me for anybody to try and speak to the motives of when a person posts. Of course it's not the first time I've seen it. But at least in the past it was to accuse somebody of not posting soon enough because they are purposely trying to avoid having to answer. This is the first time I've seen somebody try and accuse somebody of responding too quickly.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 12-03-18 at 05:00 PM.
Old 12-03-18, 04:02 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
This is the first time I've seen somebody try and accuse somebody of responding too quickly.
In the Kindle forums (before they closed them down), there were a group of 7 or so regular posters that self-dictated what was allowed discussion. One example, they did not want to explain why new release Kindle books went from $9.99 to $16.99 basically overnight (this is back after the publishers colluded to for a new list price on digital books). They would post their ridiculing comments then switch the topic to recipes and such. They pounced on threads immediately, then drowned out anyone that wanted to explain or discuss their issue. Due to the ridicule, the original poster would either fight back (which they loved), or in the case of the curious grandma who enjoyed knitting, many just left the forums forever.

This is the skill at trolling from those that believe they are self-righteous. If I were to comment, "why not just ignore the thread?", I was told that I wasn't a mod and that it was up to the mods to determine what was acceptable behavior.

The political forum exhibits many of those same behaviors. Drown out posts or threads that don't fit their agenda. If someone gets upset and replies in kind, go on the offensive until the thread is closed, or the defender is banned.
Old 12-03-18, 04:29 PM
Administrator

Received 1,056 Likes on 616 Posts

Also an option: https://forum.dvdtalk.com/profile.php?do=ignorelist
Old 12-03-18, 04:46 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by IBJoel
^

But on a serious note... yes. Use the ignore function.

Some of the responses here (or in the locked thread) seem to be calling for mods to punish, or at least for other posters to be more cautious about the extremity of the language they use (by suggesting separate threads; one for praise and one for contempt). Like... a suggestion that the way they frame their position might be considered offensive to those that feel a different way. Like... they're saying that people should tone down the use of words like "war criminal" or "fascist" because, while it may be a truly accurate term in some cases, the terminology itself, due to its history, evokes strong negative reactions from those that feel personally attacked by the use of those words.

Like... like a correcting of speech... for the sake of political discourse.

Hmm.

Strange, that.

Last edited by Dan; 12-03-18 at 04:56 PM.
Old 12-03-18, 05:03 PM
Political Exile

I don't expect any regulars to acknowledge their behavior. Continue calling Candace Owen an Aunt Jemima, or Republicans that support Trump as s*cking his c*ck and not worry about any ban like mspmms and Politzei dealt with for just being annoying to you.
Old 12-03-18, 05:46 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PerryD
Continue calling Candace Owen an Aunt Jemima
Literally one person did that (once?) and a mod warning was issued. Maybe don't generalize about everyone you disagree with, yeah?

or Republicans that support Trump as s*cking his c*ck
Who uses these exact terms? Everyone, or a select few? Maybe don't generalize about everyone you disagree with, yeah?

and not worry about any ban like mspmms and Politzei dealt with
Didn't they both go on the exact same self-imposed hiatus that you did as some kind of silent protest?
The same hiatus that conveniently ended on the day of the mid-terms?

Or maybe it's easier to just accuse folks of calling you Hitler, just like the old days, with no basis in reality.

Edit: just to be clear, I just think it would be more conductive to good discourse to call out behaviors that are actually occurring, not a one off racist insult that was acknowledged as such by the mods and didn't occur again.

Last edited by Dan; 12-03-18 at 06:13 PM.
Old 12-03-18, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm surprised the moderators/admins here don't defend themselves, or at least tell those that accuse them of political bias, to put up (specific examples) or shut up. Because from my point of view, they have been far too accepting. Only taking action long after it was warranted.
Old 12-03-18, 06:47 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Dan
Literally one person did that (once?) and a mod warning was issued.
The hate is continuous and no action is ever taken. The hateful posts are always thumbs up'd and replied "this", from several regulars.
Okay, that's fine. You're not willing to accept facts.

Where do you think mspmms is right now? Or Politzei last week? They were recently reported and banned for being annoying, plain and simple. Label them trolls, report in mass, and poof they are gone, like Grundle and Creek before them.

Originally Posted by Dan
just to be clear, I just think it would be more conductive to good discourse to call out behaviors that are actually occurring, not a one off racist insult that was acknowledged as such by the mods and didn't occur again.
Feel free to think that you support hate speech from all sides. I can give you dozens of examples of bigoted, racist, misogynist attacks. At least you remember some of the worst that after several thumbs up may have gotten a verbal "don't do that" response. True or False, did a poster wish that Kavanaugh's wife and children would get raped to understand how his accuser feels.

Yes, I'm going to avoid the Trump thread because it's a dumpster fire of nastiness and hate. You (plural) do not want any alternate viewpoints in that thread, you treat that thread the same as the Conspiracy thread, they are identical in my eyes. I left when that thread was discussing the best methods of execution for treason. My last post there was something like when did this thread become the conspiracy thread?

I was asked by multiple people over the past few months to come back and provide some balance.

But to deny the racist, sexist/misogynistic, homophobic, not too mention blanket generalizations, labeling Trump supporters as the same as Nazi Germany, etc. It's not conducive to discussion.

Sure, you can believe that this behavior occurs just once and is dealt with.

Donald Trump is so racist, he would... insert racist joke

Conservative women are so stupid because... insert misogynist post.

Trump and Putin are so gay for each other... insert homophobic joke.

If you can't recognize the pattern, than I'm not sure what to say.

I was asked to come back by some on your side to call out some of the bad behavior directly, and provide some differing views.
Old 12-03-18, 06:50 PM
Suspended

Location: Indianapolis, IN. Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
Received 551 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD
The hate is continuous and no action is ever taken. The hateful posts are always thumbs up'd and replied "this", from several regulars.
Okay, that's fine. You're not willing to accept facts.

Where do you think mspmms is right now? Or Politzei last week? They were recently reported and banned for being annoying, plain and simple. Label them trolls, report in mass, and poof they are gone, like Grundle and Creek before them.

Feel free to think that you support hate speech from all sides. I can give you dozens of examples of bigoted, racist, misogynist attacks. At least you remember some of the worst that after several thumbs up may have gotten a verbal "don't do that" response. True or False, did a poster wish that Kavanaugh's wife and children would get raped to understand how his accuser feels.

Yes, I'm going to avoid the Trump thread because it's a dumpster fire of nastiness and hate. You (plural) do not want any alternate viewpoints in that thread, you treat that thread the same as the Conspiracy thread, they are identical in my eyes. I left when that thread was discussing the best methods of execution for treason. My last post there was something like when did this thread become the conspiracy thread?

I was asked by multiple people over the past few months to come back and provide some balance.

But to deny the racist, sexist/misogynistic, homophobic, not too mention blanket generalizations, labeling Trump supporters as the same as Nazi Germany, etc. It's not conducive to discussion.

Sure, you can believe that this behavior occurs just once and is dealt with.

Donald Trump is so racist, he would... insert racist joke

Conservative women are so stupid because... insert misogynist post.

Trump and Putin are so gay for each other... insert homophobic joke.

If you can't recognize the pattern, than I'm not sure what to say.

I was asked to come back by some on your side to call out some of the bad behavior directly, and provide some differing views.
Oh, I'm just popping in to post:

qft
Old 12-03-18, 07:24 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

PerryD, you clearly aren't interested in holding a single line of discussion and would rather "what about" into oblivion as per your own pattern / dialog tree, so I have no interest in discussing this further (especially because you'll perceive everything I say as a personal attack anyway, even when it really isn't). I went down this exact same path with one of the "thumps-up & qft" folks, and he refused to provide his actual opinion on a specific topic that he pretended to be engaged in. Your entire post above is littered with generalizations, whataboutisms, strawmen, etc. and it's just so fucking old at this point, man.
Old 12-03-18, 08:06 PM
Political Exile

Dan, it's not your problem, other than being in denial on how the majority of posters behave. It's the mods that for some reason allow the behavior. You can say that it's just 5 or 6 of the regulars that do this, but you have to admit that even the worst offensive posts are not dealt with in any manner other than a comment and the post remains.

I get that ridiculing Trump is a fun game for nearly everyone on the board. I mentioned before that I never voted for him and won't vote for him. But the regulars here constantly refer to him as the next Hitler and worrying about the next genecide, it's nonsense to me. If I give examples of normal behavior and policy, I'm either attacked as a Trump supporter or just ignored.

If you think I'm generalizing about the political forum, tell me exactly how many examples of bad behavior you need to see to understand the extent of the problem. You aren't willing to call out JasonF's troll posts today about Bush 41 cutting the budget for AIDS research or regurgitating an old Hillary smear campaign about him having an affair. If you cannot acknowledge this as troll behavior that occurred just today, then I understand why you won't believe that a regular poster stated that Kavenaugh's wife and daughters deserve to be raped and was not dealt with by mods.

If you claim to want to have a discussion, then at least acknowledge that there is a problem with the discourse in the political forum.
Old 12-03-18, 09:10 PM
Admin

Received 459 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
I'm surprised the moderators/admins here don't defend themselves, or at least tell those that accuse them of political bias, to put up (specific examples) or shut up. Because from my point of view, they have been far too accepting. Only taking action long after it was warranted.
Generally I don't sit here trying to defend or justify every mod action because it just leads to complaints from both sides. People who are exiled or suspended complain that the mods are too heavy handed and people who report posts that the mods don't think require action think the mods are too lenient. It is pointless most of the time. Plus I think people deserve the right to complain. I try to err on the side of letting people express themselves. Personal attacks are a red flag for me personally however, and I don't stand for it. I wind up rereading the official rules a lot when it's time to make a call on a post or poster. For example, if you want to say Obama was a shitheal vagabond of a President, I'm not going to suspend you, but if you drop the N bomb when referring to him, you're gone because racist speech from posters is specifically outlined in the rules. And amazingly enough, sometimes you guys work things out on your own, deescalate and you don't need the police to step in. Maybe that's why I'm "too accepting." I always hope folks will turn DOWN the heat instead of turning it up further.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.