Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Admin says changes coming to DVDTalk

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Admin says changes coming to DVDTalk

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-18, 01:29 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
Re: Admin says changes coming to DVDTalk

There will be punching Nazis in the face.
Old 07-04-18, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

At least I am not the only one sitting around waiting for rain to stop today!
Old 07-04-18, 01:40 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by d2cheer
At least I am not the only one sitting around waiting for rain to stop today!
Hush your mouth, John Fogerty!

We're supposed to get some heat relief in the form of precip two days hence.
Old 07-04-18, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts

We all know who the problem is and we all know the solution. For years the site has been dragged down by this rabble-rouser and everyone has sat idly by as members have left because of his provocations. Small rule changes by the administrators won't solve anything. If there is any hope for this place...

Spoiler:
OldBoy must be banned immediately!
Old 07-04-18, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee
Eh, many here are jerks from time to time, including myself. Forum anonymity breeds it.
I never seen you come across as a jerk. Strange you say that. You seem to be one of the unique members throwing comedy and weirdness all into one little package. I enjoy reading your posts bro.

-------------

When are the admins going to merge the disc forums so we can have other types of new conversations? Why Politics get all the fun?
Old 07-04-18, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,832 Likes on 1,228 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic
I never seen you come across as a jerk. Strange you say that. You seem to be one of the unique members throwing comedy and weirdness all into one little package. I enjoy reading your posts bro.

-------------

When are the admins going to merge the disc forums so we can have other types of new conversations? Why Politics get all the fun?
Thanks a lot, dickface!

Spoiler:

But seriously, thanks.
Old 07-04-18, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 07-04-18, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
The only way that happens is if they close the politics forum. It is nothing but a cesspool anyway for both sides.
The entire internet has been a cesspool since Web 2.0.

And that is a scientific fact.
Old 07-04-18, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,832 Likes on 1,228 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
The entire internet has been a cesspool since Web 2.0.

And that is a scientific fact.
Abso-freaking-lutely.

(Trying to keep it clean, so I changed part of the word from 'fucking' to 'freaking'.)
Old 07-04-18, 09:17 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Every time curiosity gets the better of me and I venture into Politics/Religion, I regret it almost immediately and can't get out of there fast enough. Whew! Disaster averted!
Old 07-04-18, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I rarely venture into the tentacles of the Politics forum. If I post there it's because I'm bored. I think I visit like once a week at that. It's just not my bag baby.
Old 07-04-18, 09:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee
Abso-freaking-lutely.

(Trying to keep it clean, so I changed part of the word from 'fucking' to 'freaking'.)
A princely gesture, to be sure.
Old 07-04-18, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 503 Likes on 255 Posts

I don't post much in the political forum. I'm very conservative but not to the extreme as a couple posters there are. The majority of the comments there are way too far to the left for my tastes. If I were to post my real opinion I would be labeled every horrible name they can come up with. I see it happen in nearly every thread there.
Old 07-05-18, 12:30 AM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Bottomtime
I don't post much in the political forum. I'm very conservative but not to the extreme as a couple posters there are. The majority of the comments there are way too far to the left for my tastes. If I were to post my real opinion I would be labeled every horrible name they can come up with. I see it happen in nearly every thread there.
+1

Hopefully some of the changes will improve the situation.

Last edited by TheBigDave; 07-05-18 at 01:39 AM.
Old 07-05-18, 08:10 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Bottomtime
Originally Posted by TheBigDave
+1

Hopefully some of the changes will improve the situation.
Wow. Sad that you two see it that way. Trolls are getting called out, but not conservative posters who are honest in their discussion.
Old 07-05-18, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Wow. Sad that you two see it that way. Trolls are getting called out, but not conservative posters who are honest in their discussion.
It's also the beliefs that are being challenged. But some seem to have a very hard time recognizing the difference. Good luck solving that with new rules.
Old 07-05-18, 08:23 AM

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Agreed. Particular views ("What" is written) aren't being called out. It's the intentionally ("Why" it's written) trolling ("How" it's written) posting that is rightly being called out.

Agree or disagree with views all you want. Change your mind, change someone else's mind all you want. But if one's tactic is disengenuous dialogue, contrary to further controversy, purposefully pushing buttons, then yeah, it deserves to be called out for what it is: trolling.
Old 07-05-18, 08:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mabuse
I love the politics forum. It’s a wonder to behold. It gets crazy. But what is wrong with crazy things?

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
It's also the beliefs that are being challenged.
Originally Posted by story
Particular views ("What" is written) aren't being called out.
Old 07-05-18, 09:04 AM
Banned

This seems like the perfect time to repost a quote from Ky-Fi written four years ago and found on the first page of the "Race-Cowards" thread:

Regardless of party, ideology or issue, when somebody says "The country needs to have an honest discussion about ______ ." That generally means "The country needs to start seeing things the way I do and start agreeing with my position."

The immediate response to that statement was this post by DVD Josh: "This might be the smartest thing ever written on this forum."

The old adage about "It all depends upon whose ox is being gored" comes to mind here.

One other observation:

It's really instructive to go to the most contentious threads and to read the opening pages of those threads to compare the tones of discussion then to what is taking place now. People who debated spiritedly (and sometimes fiercely) could also banter lightly with ideological opponents. That has changed dramatically over the last 4 years of so, with some of those same previously-amicable posters declaring others to be mortal enemies. And the tone of the discussions has followed in suit.

The views being expressed back then (and since 2000) haven't changed much except in a few instances. The antagonism and animosity level has gone off the charts in comparison.

If everyone would just take a few moments to skim over the early pages of those threads, I think we might see more of the model for discussions for which the forum is designed and which mirrors the intent of the owners. I could be wrong about that, of course, but I know that it's not just "one side" (for those who insist upon putting everyone into partisan boxes) that have left the forum due to the hostile tones.

The big question for the administrators is the limits of expression that will be allowed and how that is determined within the interpretation of the rules (apart from the blatant rules violations that appear completely intentional).

The big question for users is whether they actually want to see the forum improve even if their wishes/demands aren't met and are willing to abide by the decisions from those in charge.
Old 07-05-18, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by story
Agreed. Particular views ("What" is written) aren't being called out. It's the intentionally ("Why" it's written) trolling ("How" it's written) posting that is rightly being called out.

Agree or disagree with views all you want. Change your mind, change someone else's mind all you want. But if one's tactic is disengenuous dialogue, contrary to further controversy, purposefully pushing buttons, then yeah, it deserves to be called out for what it is: trolling.
Old 07-05-18, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

Closed thread. If you wish to add input to the discussion on the Politics & Religion Forum, please do so here: https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feed...wed-forum.html