Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Users should be able to ignore mods who poo-post in subforums they don't moderate.

Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Users should be able to ignore mods who poo-post in subforums they don't moderate.

Old 06-30-18, 03:29 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Pretty simple.
Theoretically, if a moderator is going to repeatedly shitpost in a subforum that they don't moderate, offering nothing of perceived value to the topic of a thread, that's fine, but users should be able to use the ignore function exactly as it was intended to be used.

Last edited by Dan; 06-30-18 at 03:55 PM.
Old 06-30-18, 04:09 PM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts
Re: Users should be able to ignore mods who shitpost in subforums they don't moderate

I deleted my posts. It was meant to be lighthearted fun. But I guess everyone's too uptight these days.

Don't worry, I'll stay out of the Politics forum from now on.
Old 06-30-18, 04:21 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Users should be able to ignore mods who shitpost in subforums they don't moderate

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I deleted my posts. It was meant to be lighthearted fun. But I guess everyone's too uptight these days.

Don't worry, I'll stay out of the Politics forum from now on.
No need to overreact. I just wanted to know if the forum could even support that function. It was brought up before, but I couldn't recall what the answer was.
Old 06-30-18, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,821 Likes on 1,222 Posts

The posts seemed odd considering the lengthy discussion in feedback about keeping on topic in Politics, that we had the other day, also didn’t seem like having ‘lighthearted fun’ by way of disrespecting the intent of the OP was a very smart move.
Old 06-30-18, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,878 Posts

Well, shit, it looks like I missed something exciting.
Old 06-30-18, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Not really ...
Old 06-30-18, 05:15 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee
also didn’t seem like having ‘lighthearted fun’ by way of disrespecting the intent of the OP was a very smart move.
So about this, there are dozens of threads where the intent of the OP isn't respected. Many times it's because the OP is trying to get people to agree with them about something silly (or signal boosting the contents on their blog). It's not like I'm trying to stop that, like my opinion even matters anyway. We've all done it.

Like, I don't really care that much if threads go off the rails; it's kind of how things work around here. But if the message we're supposed to get is "just put people on ignore," then cool... make it so we can.

But I don't want anyone (mods included) to STOP posting in a subforum if they want to post there just because one or two people perceive them to be contributing little positive discussion. That wasn't my point at all. I just wanted to know if ignoring mods was a function that could be enabled, while still being able to see their posts in their own subforum.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Not really ...
Yeah. It really wasn't anything special at all. It just made me think about the lengthy discussion about keeping things on topic and how ignoring folks might be better than engaging.

And: Sorry for the swear in the title. Didn't realize it until too late.
Old 06-30-18, 05:33 PM

I’m all for derailing threads, but in politics it should be done carefully. I think my first post in the Forums was a hijacking that earned me an earful.

Just not a fan of the passive-aggressive derailment in Politics. If a person wants to present an ‘opposing viewpoint’ just be straight-up about it.
Old 07-01-18, 05:05 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dan
So about this, there are dozens of threads where the intent of the OP isn't respected.
And: Sorry for the swear in the title. Didn't realize it until too late.
Aside from adding a heart Amen to the first line as a chuckle, the last sentence brings up a related side-issue.

I'm inclined to believe you. Not because we agree on anything on God's green earth (even on that), but because I'm inclined to believe people when they say something. They have to demonstrate a repeated, willful pattern of lying before mistrust becomes the default mode.

That's why I have little patience with people who insinuate untruthful motives as though they're mind-readers. Even if we suspect that someone might be hedging, there ought to be indisputable indications...not just an "I don't see how you could possibly actually believe that, so you must be dissembling." It goes hand-in-hand with the straw man "What they really mean is...." No, what they really mean is what they say, and that's because their perspective is different. Get over thinking that everyone knows that you are right and just won't admit it.

(Also, FWIW, I consider "I have no reason to believe that" in response to a report of a factual incident to be a fancy way of saying, "I think you're lying." Asking for a citation is more polite; that indicates that the requester wants to examine the evidence himself to look for accuracy, nuance, full disclosure, etc. It indicates that there might be more to the story or that the poster might be mistaken on some points without making it sound as though he/she is just making things up).

As for the thread topic, the concept seems sound, yet members have to be able to read mod comments. Perhaps reporting the posts would be sufficient;if enough negative comments come in, all the mods could discuss and act accordingly to be fair to all.

Last edited by creekdipper; 07-01-18 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-03-18, 06:28 PM
Admin

Received 466 Likes on 306 Posts

You can't ignore a mod because they may need to make a mod note in the thread.
Old 07-03-18, 06:36 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Understood. Feel free to lock this.
Old 07-03-18, 09:03 PM

Received 1,895 Likes on 1,118 Posts

In before the lock!

Did I do that right?
Old 07-03-18, 09:20 PM

If you're pressed for time you can always type IBTL ...
Old 07-03-18, 09:20 PM

Received 1,895 Likes on 1,118 Posts

Ibtl!

Didtr?
Old 07-03-18, 09:39 PM

Y!!!!
Old 07-03-18, 09:52 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Omg bbq!
Old 07-03-18, 10:11 PM
Banned

#negnrg!
Old 07-03-18, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Old 07-03-18, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by story
In before the lock!

Did I do that right?
No, this is how you do it:
Old 07-04-18, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

Old 07-04-18, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Old 07-04-18, 01:29 AM
Banned

If you're pressed for time you can always type IBTL ...
Or IBS.
Old 07-04-18, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

When did this sub forum become the most active??? I have posted in 3 separate threads here today!

IBTL just in case...
Old 07-04-18, 02:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by d2cheer
When did this sub forum become the most active???
Trainwreck Syndrome?
Old 07-04-18, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,189 Likes on 1,494 Posts

YEAT!

Or *pad* or whatever...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.