DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Forum Feedback and Support (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support-4/)
-   -   The Wikipost intro thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support/634263-wikipost-intro-thread.html)

ibobi 05-09-16 07:15 PM

The Wikipost intro thread

Got questions about how this will work? Ask away in thread!

auto 05-09-16 07:39 PM

Re: The Wikipost intro thread

Weird. I like it...I think.

Deftones 05-09-16 08:02 PM

We get this but can't get embedding of youtube videos? Booooo

The Cow 05-09-16 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 12797478)
We get this but can't get embedding of youtube videos? Booooo

You can embed YouTube videos, you can't embed any other kind of video.

The wiki might have been nice back in the days when deals were a bigger thing (deal sites are where I've seen this used the most). Can't really think of any other good uses, maybe sheep games.

fumanstan 05-09-16 08:18 PM

Yeah, fixing embeds for other services would be much more useful then this. Cool feature though, glad that some work is being done.

Cardsfan111 05-09-16 08:48 PM

I don't have any experience with other forums which use this feature, so I have trouble seeing the benefit. Can someone explain how it could best be used?

Deftones 05-09-16 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by The Cow (Post 12797480)
You can embed YouTube videos, you can't embed any other kind of video.

The wiki might have been nice back in the days when deals were a bigger thing (deal sites are where I've seen this used the most). Can't really think of any other good uses, maybe sheep games.

I can embed a YT by doing that stupid link shortening thing. I just want to copy the code and paste it from YT. I can't do that anymore therefore, I can't embed YT videos.

Solid Snake 05-09-16 10:06 PM

Yeah. I don't give a fuck about this wikipost. Give us access to post videos from wherever and able to post tweets. Jesus. This site is out of date.

DVD Polizei 05-09-16 10:43 PM

I think we should have a tier of those who can edit posts in certain forums, versus just the 90/90 rule.

Trevor 05-10-16 07:57 AM

Can someone give an example where this would be useful?

Cardsfan111 05-10-16 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111 (Post 12797504)
I don't have any experience with other forums which use this feature, so I have trouble seeing the benefit. Can someone explain how it could best be used?

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 12797719)
Can someone give an example where this would be useful?

I've been trying to think of a situation where this would be beneficial. The closest thing I can think of would be an instance where the first post of a thread really needed to be updated with some useful information and the OP had disappeared or was slow to make a change.

Edit to add:

Perhaps an example: You have the long Disney Rewards thread in the "Hot Deals" forum. Occasionally, someone will post a bonus code that folks can use for points on their individual accounts. At times, it doesn't take long before that code might be "buried" as a number of posts follow. I suppose it could be put in that top area, assuming it always remains at the top of each page. It would then be easier to locate a current promo/code. Granted, those folks looking for codes like that usually subscribe to the thread or check it when it is bumped.

dex14 05-10-16 08:25 AM

The most useful I can think of is in deals forum. But I doubt there would be upkeep.

jjcool 05-10-16 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111 (Post 12797738)
I've been trying to think of a situation where this would be beneficial. The closest thing I can think of would be an instance where the first post of a thread really needed to be updated with some useful information and the OP had disappeared or was slow to make a change.

Edit to add:

Perhaps an example: You have the long Disney Rewards thread in the "Hot Deals" forum. Occasionally, someone will post a bonus code that folks can use for points on their individual accounts. At times, it doesn't take long before that code might be "buried" as a number of posts follow. I suppose it could be put in that top area, assuming it always remains at the top of each page. It would then be easier to locate a current promo/code. Granted, those folks looking for codes like that usually subscribe to the thread or check it when it is bumped.

One of the exact instances where I think it would be useful.

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 12797744)
The most useful I can think of is in deals forum. But I doubt there would be upkeep.

Agreed. Something that may require someone to jump through a few hoops to get, or use a specific link, or where items included in sale may change frequently, etc. Also, when there used to be a thread for single bigger releases. The wiki could be used to list links for the different stores and their exclusives.

The other websites that I have seen use the wiki post function always seem to put it after the initial post in a thread. This way people know what the thread is about before they see the wiki post. I think I find that setup a bit more useful than putting the wiki post first as it woudl appear they may be doing here.

kd5 05-10-16 10:18 AM

If this is inevitable, I hope they're not expanded by default.

DVD Polizei 05-10-16 10:40 AM

Has anyone viewed this via mobile.

I'm lazy, and my phone is off.

davidh777 05-10-16 10:46 AM

We have a running thread for the Tapped Out mobile game, and the first post is, among other things, a list of player IDs for people who want to add friends. Only the OP can add new names, so that might be a use case for this feature.

General Zod 05-10-16 11:30 AM

I always enjoy new features :up:

fumanstan 05-10-16 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by davidh777 (Post 12797903)
We have a running thread for the Tapped Out mobile game, and the first post is, among other things, a list of player IDs for people who want to add friends. Only the OP can add new names, so that might be a use case for this feature.

New gamer tag threads in general seems nice for this :up:

story 05-10-16 11:48 AM

Especially when that OP take a year-long hiatus from DVDTalk... :sarcasm:

But actually, yes, I was thinking the same thing for my OP in the Simpsons Tapped Out thread. We had a similar situation with the Battlefield Bad Company 2 thread, as well. I enjoy being "keeper" of the OP and yet I'm not always the best at updating and it may be better to put it in the hands of the people. One thing I did do well is spring cleaning and organizing, which we'd just have to hope happens or else I'd still do that in the wiki.

ibobi 05-10-16 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by kd5 (Post 12797871)
I hope they're not expanded by default.

There will be two ways to "hide" it -- one is to close it in any page, which cookies you; the other is a setting in your userCP that we will turn on today, called "hide all wikis" which will reduce them all to a narrow bar. I do not recommend this, as you will essentially never see them.

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei (Post 12797895)
Has anyone viewed this via mobile.

Wikiposts are not viewable in the current mobile skin but will be in the next version.

Cardsfan111 05-10-16 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by IBobi (Post 12798259)
Wikiposts are not viewable in the current mobile skin but will be in the next version.

I've made myself a note to check that out in 2023. ;)

General Zod 05-10-16 07:26 PM

Thought of a good use of this. Take, for example, the OJ Simpson thread or something. The wiki can be used to highlight key updates for example:

OJ suspected in Murder <link to post>
OJ being chased by police <link to post>
OJ trial to start <link to post>
OJ found not guilty <link to post>
OJ Arrested again <link to post>
OJ found guilty - prison <link to post>
OJ released from prison <link to post>
OJ found dead <link to post>
Fred Goldman arrested for OJ's Death <link to post>
Trump Pardons Fred Goldman <link to post>
etc..

For those long threads..

kd5 05-10-16 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by IBobi (Post 12798259)
There will be two ways to "hide" it -- one is to close it in any page, which cookies you; the other is a setting in your userCP that we will turn on today, called "hide all wikis" which will reduce them all to a narrow bar. I do not recommend this, as you will essentially never see them.

But shouldn't they always contain the ability to expand them if we choose to see the content, even if we "hide" them in the settings? I would hate to lose that ability if I "hide" them in the settings, but I would also hate to have to wade through them every time I choose to open a thread.

Red Hood 05-10-16 11:10 PM

Replace Explorer with DVDTalk. By 2030, the forum will be able to embed Tweets. Sadly, by 2030, Twitter doesn't exist anymore.

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...60/443/29d.png

Trevor 05-11-16 07:43 AM

I finally embraced the 'new posts' link and 'go to newest post' button a couple years ago. Can't believe I waited so long, there is no other logical way to use the forum imho. I think most of us do this so we automatically skip what we've already read and don't waste time.

But because of this, I rarely see the top of threads. And I'm certainly not going to scroll to the top everytime I visit a thread.