DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Forum Feedback and Support (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support-4/)
-   -   Spambot attack! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support/631290-spambot-attack.html)

slop101 02-22-16 12:19 AM

Spambot attack!

Woah! Is that the biggest spam attack this forum's gotten?

DJariya 02-22-16 01:19 AM

Re: Spambot attack!

Yeah seriously that's out of control. More posts seem to keep popping up.

Oh boy, the Mods and Admins are going to have fun in the morning. ;)

SterlingBen 02-22-16 01:43 AM

http://i.imgur.com/bGk0qXw.jpg

kd5 02-22-16 05:01 AM

Wow, at least 10 pages of this crap just in the DVD Talk forum alone. I don't envy the cleanup crew...:(

EdTheRipper 02-22-16 05:30 AM

Yeah, this is BRUTAL. Amazing to think that this site is so dead that no mods or admin have been around in the 7 or so hours this seems to have been going on.

RandyC 02-22-16 06:17 AM

Argh...

Josh-da-man 02-22-16 06:18 AM

Up to 40+ pages.

Do these assholes really think this shit works? Like we're going to see fifty pages full of a bunch of Chinese/Japanese/Korean characters with dodgy-looking links embedded and click the links and give them money?

I feel sorry for the mods who have to clean this mess up.

Cardsfan111 02-22-16 07:13 AM

One thing it accomplished--it kept me away for a few hours.

When it started popping up, I signed off and figured I'd come back when we were back to our normal level of strange behavior. ;)

I'm actually curious. What's the cleanup process like? Can you nuke the individual account and would that delete each thread that originated from that account? Thanks in advance to the mods who will address it. I propose that your pay be doubled. Or least you get an extra 15 minute break today. Just stagger them, please, so we can prevent this from happening again. :D

RandyC 02-22-16 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111 (Post 12731710)
I'm actually curious. What's the cleanup process like? Can you nuke the individual account and would that delete each thread that originated from that account? Thanks in advance to the mods who will address it. I propose that your pay be doubled. Or least you get an extra 15 minute break today. Just stagger them, please, so we can prevent this from happening again. :D

It depends on your assigned powers. As an admin, it is not too hard, just go into the admin control panel, search and bring up the user, you can prune all the posts and ban the user.

But as a moderator, your powers are limited and you can only delete each post or thread. If the user has less than 50 posts, you can also globally delete all the threads.

But in this case, the users have more than 50 so I can't do that. But you can tag an entire page (50?) threads and then delete them. Page after page. But they were adding more as I did that, so it was like the story of the kid plugging the dyke. Seemed silly without the ability to ban also to stop more of them.

Cardsfan111 02-22-16 07:56 AM

Thanks for the insight, Randy.

Crazy seeing stuff still popping up this morning.

VinVega 02-22-16 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by kd5 (Post 12731265)
Wow, at least 10 pages of this crap just in the DVD Talk forum alone. I don't envy the cleanup crew...:(

Banned about 30 different accounts and a few IP addresses. Fuckers.

Dan 02-22-16 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by VinVega (Post 12731790)
Banned about 30 different accounts and a few IP addresses.

Whoa there. I mean, isn't that a little too harsh? Maybe the better option would have been to engage in conversation with them to hear both sides, huh? They have legitimate concerns, I'm sure. Why are you censoring their free speech?!?

#NotAllSpambots!!!

/s ;)

E Unit 02-22-16 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by VinVega (Post 12731790)
Banned about 30 different accounts and a few IP addresses. Fuckers.

Wow. Damn ISIS.

davidh777 02-22-16 09:30 AM

Yeah, I haven't seen anything that severe before.

Thanks, Obama!

story 02-22-16 09:38 AM

I wasn't around to see what happened but that screencap is crazy. Good work, mods and admins, on the clean up. May it not be a thankless job, even if it is a tiresome one, at times.

Dan 02-22-16 09:45 AM

If you google "tst29" it looks like they targeted other sites like:
A UK diabetes forum
Jevents/Joomla (I don't get what this is...)
Tivo Community
Call of Duty official community forum
Microsoft Technet

We should be honored! Honored!!

E Unit 02-22-16 11:53 AM

Here's another one spamming it up right now.

sweetnessjessic

davidh777 02-22-16 11:56 AM

Holy shit, and in broad daylight! (at least for us)

Josh-da-man 02-22-16 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by story (Post 12731817)
I wasn't around to see what happened but that screencap is crazy. Good work, mods and admins, on the clean up. May it not be a thankless job, even if it is a tiresome one, at times.

I got into the form at about 6:00 am (my time) and the main DVDTalk forum had forty pages of spam. FORTY FUCKING PAGES.

Didn't realize they had hit all of the other forums (like HDTalk, Bargains, Gear, etc.)

Anyone have an estimate on how many posts this asshole made? Must have been well into the thousands.

brainee 02-22-16 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Dan (Post 12731822)
If you google "tst29" it looks like they targeted other sites like:
A UK diabetes forum
Jevents/Joomla (I don't get what this is...)
Tivo Community
Call of Duty official community forum
Microsoft Technet

We should be honored! Honored!!

And Blu-Ray.com is not worth their effort! :banana:

Unless of course your take-off message is that a site named after DVDs either wouldn't be technologically advanced enough to handle the attack, or its members would be more gullible :sad:

I'm amazed that this must pay off enough for people to keep doing it. Who sees messages like this, clicks on a link, and thinks "I can buy something? This really seems like a company I can trust!"

Quack 02-22-16 12:04 PM

Annnnnnd they're still going.

I'm just trying to read meaningless posts damn it.

Cardsfan111 02-22-16 12:10 PM

Book Talk seems to be unaffected. Even spammers are unaware of its existence.

Dan 02-22-16 12:19 PM

There's a Book Talk!??!

VinVega 02-22-16 01:34 PM

Yeah, looks like 15 more accounts just came in. We're trying to tweak a few things to make their lives difficult.

E Unit 02-22-16 02:41 PM

Unless they try and post in Book Talk. That forum could use a little more action.