Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Spoilers in movie review threads

Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Old 12-18-15, 10:48 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

It has come up a lot over the years if spoiler tags are needed within the movie review threads. In the guidelines on the forum for using spoiler tags, it mentions just putting "Spoilers" in the title of the thread as a blanket warning.

Would users prefer to start doing this moving forward in review threads instead of users using spoiler tags for everything?

My personal opinion is to move into this direction.

Thoughts?
Old 12-18-15, 01:23 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts
Re: Spoilers in movie review threads

Hmm, I can see it both ways, but I think that review threads should be assumed to have spoilers. Actual reviews are different, they tend to avoid most spoilers, but review threads should be open discussion without the need to spoiler things.
Old 12-18-15, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

I always assume reviews threads have spoilers. That's why I usually don't read them till after I've seen the movie, and by then the thread is way too long to go through.
Old 12-18-15, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

If it's something big and spoilable like Star Wars: The Force Awakens, then it's probably a good idea to have a "spoiler" thread where folks can freely post spoilers without tags.
Old 12-18-15, 10:18 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fuck that. Some reviews have spoilers. It's a review thread. You don't want the possibility of getting ruined. Don't go in. If reviewers spoil some shit, we're probably going to do it too. Nobody follows one thing.

Just don't go in. Simple.
Old 12-20-15, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

Reviews threads will have spoilers, no need for tags. In the past, there have been similar complaints in episode specific threads, which is equally ridiculous.
Old 12-20-15, 10:41 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Here, I just assume there are spoilers in the review threads, because people can't help themselves. Putting "SPOILERS" in the thread title helps, though.

Good reviewers don't need to use spoilers, but the 'reviews' threads here are really just post-release discussion threads, which is why spoilers are so abundant. But I don't want to get to the point where we have 3 threads for each film (pre-release discussion, reviews, and spoiler-filled discussion), so... fuck all that. Put SPOILERS in the thread review-thread title and be done with it.
Old 12-20-15, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Reviewers in professional publications that spoil stuff are assholes.

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Reviews threads will have spoilers, no need for tags. In the past, there have been similar complaints in episode specific threads, which is equally ridiculous.
I understand that reduced traffic/activity have dictated that a lot of shows have gone to season threads, but I can't go into those at all unless I'm completely caught up.
Old 12-21-15, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts

The review threads are more review/discussion threads. It's where people go to discuss the movie: what they liked, what they didn't, what was interesting, questions about what happened. There's going to be spoilers. Unless there's to be three separate threads for movies (pre-release, non-spoiled review, spoiler-filled discussion), there's going to have to be an expectation of spoilers in the review thread.

There are ways to get spoiler-free reviews around the web. It's also possible to just see the star reviews at the top of the thread. If I was concerned about spoilers, but wanted a specific question answered, I would probably ask that someone PM me the answer.
Old 12-22-15, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

I agree with the sentiment that review threads are going to contain spoilers. People want to talk about the film in a review thread and while you can provide a review without spoilers it can be hard to get into more in depth discussion without talking about details which leads to spoilers.
Old 12-22-15, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts

I'm not sure what the point of a reviews thread is if you can't openly discuss the movie. If you want to get a sense of how a movie is tracking before you see it, there are plenty of other ways to do that. I don't even enter a reviews thread unless I've seen the movie or if I have no intention of a seeing a movie but I'm curious what people are saying about it.

So spoil away, I say.