DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Forum Feedback and Support (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support-4/)
-   -   Can we ban all the members that are bumping decade old threads? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support/624784-can-we-ban-all-members-bumping-decade-old-threads.html)

Deftones 01-23-15 09:46 PM

Can we ban all the members that are bumping decade old threads?

It is obnoxious as hell. Seriously.

Trevor 01-23-15 10:05 PM

Re: Can we ban all the members that are bumping decade old threads?

The forum has been almost dead for quite awhile; why discourage activity?

Deftones 01-23-15 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 12374295)
The forum has been almost dead for quite awhile; why discourage activity?

Because it adds no value? What little value this place has anymore anyway.

Norm de Plume 01-24-15 01:47 AM

I've seen it before on other forums, but I don't understand why one would get incensed over the bumping of old threads.:scratch2:

Pharoh 01-24-15 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume (Post 12374442)
I've seen it before on other forums, but I don't understand why one would get incensed over the bumping of old threads.:scratch2:

People often don't look at the dates of posts when first venturing into a new thread, and are then reading outdated information and possibly responding to posters who aren't even around anymore. It is annoying and frustrating.

What I said in another thread where this just again happened, was that if the topic is very specific, then bump that specific old thread. If there is a one and only thread for a topic, then bump that thread. However, if your point is only tangentially related, or if the topic is of such general interest, then please start a new thread.

Trevor,

Since the activity is slow around here, it is even more reason to start a new thread.

I had been changing the thread titles of those that I encounter, but I don't see all of them.
:shrug:

Hadrian7 01-24-15 08:58 AM

I don't get it, if a member posts a similar thread someone will inevitably ask why they didn't use the search function instead of making a duplicate thread. Now you want them to get banned for bumping old threads? No wonder why we can't keep new members around... the fun has left the forum.

TGM 01-24-15 09:04 AM

wow, people will bitch about everything.

Pharoh 01-24-15 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Hadrian7 (Post 12374605)
I don't get it, if a member posts a similar thread someone will inevitably ask why they didn't use the search function instead of making a duplicate thread. Now you want them to get banned for bumping old threads? No wonder why we can't keep new members around... the fun has left the forum.

I am not calling for the banning of anybody.

However, what you posted is a fallacy. People get upset when relatively recent threads aren't used and the topic is the same or very closely related. People do not get upset and complain when ten year old threads, that nobody remembers, aren't bumped.

A recent case in point. An eight year old thread was bumped to vent frustration over merchants not giving back the proper change for transactions. Do you believe that anybody when have been upset if a new thread was posted? Would anybody really have said, "oh my god, why did you start a new thread instead of bumping that similar one from 2007"?

TGM 01-24-15 09:14 AM

conversely, I've seen people make NEW threads about something, then some jackoff posts a snarky link to an older (sometimes years older) similar thread. damned if you do... damned if you don't. life's too short, does it really fucking matter?

Hadrian7 01-24-15 09:17 AM

Sorry Pharoh, that banning comment was directed at the OP, not at you.

Regarding your question, I don't honestly know if people want new threads or old threads renews. For myself, I really do not care since you would receive the same information either way. I do remember when someone did post a new thread and others did tell them (some nicely and some not so nicely) to use the search function. This has happened more than once and has prevented me from being more active in the forums and to just lurk.

I come to sites like this to relax, have fun, and get some entertainment not to get bogged down in Internet bulletin board semantics.

Trevor 01-24-15 09:27 AM

What's the big deal if you're reading old info or responding to someone who isn't around? If the content is relevant, the discussion is relevant. If you're writing on a public forum, it's for everyone to enjoy/benefit. The OP or person quoted is not important.

The old information always adds something.

Regarding the improper change thread you mention Pharoh, I don't think anyone would have complained if it was a new thread instead of a bump. But it being a bump made it a much more entertaining thread. If it was a new thread it may have not caught on and died quickly. But even if it dies now, at least it has some substance and those of us who saw the bump got more out of it.

TGM 01-24-15 09:27 AM

not to mention that the search function sucks dead donkey dick.

tonyc3742 01-24-15 09:28 AM

Sometimes it's nice to see the history. By default, for me, ""New Posts" will start with the new post, even if the thread is a hundred posts long.
I lean more toward liking the addition to an old thread - if someone took the time to search for an existing thread and post a relevant comment to it, rather than lambaste him for 'thread already exists' (which does happen), let it go. I don't see the big deal.
If it is an issue, define it - no reviving threads X months old, and make that known on the search screen, not a sticky thread that has to be searched for on its own.

auto 01-24-15 09:32 AM

I like reading old threads. So hard to look at the date of the post, eh?

VinVega 01-24-15 02:48 PM

If you're going to bump a decades old thread, at least have the courtesy to say "Bump" or something, so it doesn't look like a 10 page thread just appeared out of nowhere and the conversation somehow flowed with a jump of 10 years in between.

It's the people who just act like no time that has past with a bump that are the most annoying. Just be up front about it if you bump an old thread.

I do like Pharoh's take on it as well.

Mike86 01-24-15 03:12 PM

Honestly who really cares? Seriously what a stupid thing to bitch about. In certain cases it seems silly to create a whole new thread that's likely to get lost in the shuffle but there's something new that a person may want to add or whatever. For something like that I think it makes perfect sense. Even in other cases though unless its something that's completely irrelevant I don't see what the issue is.

SterlingBen 01-24-15 03:15 PM

I want to ban members that open secret anti-SterlingBen thread bumping threads.

Ranger 01-24-15 03:45 PM

If we don't want old threads to be bumped, why not delete or lock all threads older than three years?

Dan 01-24-15 04:19 PM

http://i.imgur.com/jCxZawn.jpg

Norm de Plume 01-24-15 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Pharoh (Post 12374603)
What I said in another thread where this just again happened, was that if the topic is very specific, then bump that specific old thread. If there is a one and only thread for a topic, then bump that thread. However, if your point is only tangentially related, or if the topic is of such general interest, then please start a new thread.

Yes, that's a good point, but I still don't really see why a tangential bump would get people's dander up so much. As Trevor said, it's better than no activity, and the more arguably-trivial rules one enforces, the more people will avoid a forum.

The Cow 01-24-15 04:27 PM

I don't think it's a big deal either, but it gets a little annoying when one particular person goes on a run doing it.

It usually tends to be new posters for some reason, is their a forum default that is ordering old to new when you sign up or something?

Mike86 01-24-15 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by The Cow (Post 12374961)
I don't think it's a big deal either, but it gets a little annoying when one particular person goes on a run doing it.

It usually tends to be new posters for some reason, is their a forum default that is ordering old to new when you sign up or something?

That's a bit different if its just someone being stupid and bumping a bunch of threads for no reason or doing it in excess. In general I don't see it as a big deal at all though really.

TGM 01-24-15 06:23 PM

My plan is to bump this thread in 10 years.

Trevor 01-24-15 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by TGM (Post 12375081)

Setting alarm to remind you in 9 years 11 months 29 days. Siri.....

VinVega 01-24-15 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by TGM (Post 12375081)

http://i.imgur.com/0uwhfbN.jpg

Sonic 01-24-15 11:31 PM

I'm one of those that get pissed off too when super old threads are bumped. I think a ban is too severe. Just delete the post and warn the member. Next time he does it again just suspend.

TGM 01-25-15 05:43 AM

why exactly do you get "pissed" over such a trivial thing?

mndtrp 01-25-15 12:25 PM

I have no problem with bumping old threads. Sometimes it's fun to see what was said a decade ago, or seeing who all has left the board. If it's a new member, all the better. A new member is rare, and if they are going to post something worthwhile, go for it. The bumps I've seen recently have actually sparked some discussion around the topics again, not just an "I agree" comment with nothing to follow.

fumanstan 01-25-15 01:04 PM

This has come up before, and the moderator stance makes perfect sense to me. It's annoying to see threads bumped that have little to do with the reason it was bumped, especially something so old. A lot of threads develop with the intent on replying to the original story posted; if that person isn't around anymore or it happened 10 years ago, it's less interesting to discuss said event.

Sonic 01-25-15 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by TGM (Post 12375366)
why exactly do you get "pissed" over such a trivial thing?

I have seen members bump old threads just for the hell of it. Certain threads are like history, leave them in the archives to read but don't add nothing to them unless it's a vital must.

It would be cool if the forum system had an automatic cut-off date when bumping very old threads something along the lines of "This thread is outdated and discussion can no longer be added. Please create a new thread."

Trevor 01-25-15 02:09 PM

Almost every bump I've seen has been very relavent. The new and past discussion complement each other and the past posts provide nice base to any new discussion.

Deftones 01-25-15 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 12375658)
Almost every bump I've seen has been very relavent. The new and past discussion complement each other and the past posts provide nice base to any new discussion.

you must not read the movie forum. there's a specific bump of a thread from over a decade ago that was absurd.

Trevor 01-25-15 04:12 PM

We have a mov..... oh, not too often.

I agree that there are occasional absurd thread bumps and those should be limited. Warnings perhaps? But the several recent thread bumps I've seen, and the one specifically mentioned here, are legit imo.

Josh-da-man 01-25-15 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by TGM (Post 12374628)
not to mention that the search function sucks dead donkey dick.

Yeap. Using the search function to find a specific bit of information is like trying to masturbate while wearing an oven mitt.

It can be done, but it will take forever.

Solid Snake 01-25-15 09:15 PM

Yeah. We need a better search. The general one is HORRID. You can go into the advanced and it's better but that general one needs to fucking die in a goddamn ditch.

Trevor 01-25-15 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake (Post 12376053)
Yeah. We need a better search. The general one is HORRID. You can go into the advanced and it's better but that general one needs to fucking die in a goddamn ditch.

I'm not sure why the forum needs so many different versions of 'search'. It's all over every page and slightly different depending on which one you click.

I only use 'advanced' and keep it linked in my sig for easier use.

Cardsfan111 01-25-15 09:33 PM

I always use the advanced one and it seems to work well for me.

Nick Danger 01-25-15 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by mndtrp (Post 12375564)
I have no problem with bumping old threads. Sometimes it's fun to see what was said a decade ago, or seeing who all has left the board. If it's a new member, all the better. A new member is rare, and if they are going to post something worthwhile, go for it. The bumps I've seen recently have actually sparked some discussion around the topics again, not just an "I agree" comment with nothing to follow.

I agree.

Rival11 01-25-15 11:35 PM

Some of you take this shit way too seriously....who cares?? The only time it should be stopped is if its purposely done to troll or simply just gets out of hand (trolling would also consist of those who are trying to "slyly" be a smartass).

davidh777 01-26-15 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 12374627)
What's the big deal if you're reading old info or responding to someone who isn't around? If the content is relevant, the discussion is relevant. If you're writing on a public forum, it's for everyone to enjoy/benefit. The OP or person quoted is not important.

I agree that it really doesn't matter if the OP is still around, unless it was something really personal. Heck, it still happens that someone starts a thread and never returns, but people enjoy the conversation anyway.

Originally Posted by VinVega (Post 12374868)
If you're going to bump a decades old thread, at least have the courtesy to say "Bump" or something, so it doesn't look like a 10 page thread just appeared out of nowhere and the conversation somehow flowed with a jump of 10 years in between.

This makes sense. Sometimes I get a little annoyed when I start to respond then realize I'm quoting something from a number of years ago, but it's not that big a deal, and it's still relevant if my point hasn't been covered yet.

I think the light action around the forum has made it easier to tell when a thread has been bumped, since threads don't usually generate multiple pages in a day or two.

Originally Posted by Ranger (Post 12374920)
If we don't want old threads to be bumped, why not delete or lock all threads older than three years?

Sure, let's just delete the entire forum while we're at it. -ohbfrank-