DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Forum Feedback and Support (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support-4/)
-   -   Trolls Getting Free Passes (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support/623646-trolls-getting-free-passes.html)

Sean O'Hara 11-20-14 10:20 AM

Trolls Getting Free Passes

What the hell is going on with the Bill Cosby thread? We have a guy running around saying disgusting, misogynistic things, like wishing Janice Dickinson hadn't come forward with rape accusations:

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei (Post 12306952)
Too bad she didn't keep quiet another 30 years.

And suggesting that rape accusations should only be listened to if the woman makes them right away, while simultaneously saying that women who talk about being raped are whiners:

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei (Post 12308020)
I do have a friend who was assaulted. By her uncle. She didn't keep "silent" for 30 years, and whine and moan and complain thereafter. She filed a police report before the statute of limitations was up, and went after the motherfucker.

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei (Post 12308452)
In other words, you can't just go around for decades whining and complaining about something that allegedly happened, expecting sympathy, when the initial responsibility was to go to a legal and criminal authority (law enforcement) to get justice and make a record of those claims so others would see the effort to put the person in prison for his crimes.

Oh, and this gem too:

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei (Post 12308032)
So, you're more of a QUANTITY type guy, rather than QUALITY. Nice.

Let me start by saying you raped me in the ass.

If 10 people also say it happened...then you're obviously a <strike>RACIST</strike> RAPIST.

This is the same guy who routinely posts race-baiting BS in police threads, such as:

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei (Post 12268125)
What Police Departments nationwide should do...is for 1 month...not arrest any Black male or female.

Sit back and observe what happens.

Mods know he's doing this. One just stepped into the Cosby thread and issued a warning -- to someone justifiably angry about Polizei's misogynistic BS. That makes no sense. Polizei is the troll, but he gets a free pass to spew his vileness, and no one can respond in kind because apparently calling someone an "asshole" is worse than suggesting that rape victims are whiners who need to shut up and go away.

We all know DVD Talk is a sausage fest, but that doesn't mean it needs to be a place where women feel uncomfortable.

chrisih8u 11-20-14 10:31 AM

Re: Trolls Getting Free Passes

Use the ignore feature.

van der graaf 11-20-14 10:34 AM

Sean is 100% correct. Mods are failing at their job here, and reactions to this failure should not receive warnings.

Dan 11-20-14 10:36 AM

:up:

chrisih8u 11-20-14 10:41 AM

What rule did he break? This thread on the other hand seems to be breaking a rule.

• Ignoring or arguing with warning posts a moderator or administrator makes in a thread. If you think the warning is unjust please email them or another moderator to discuss it.

The Cow 11-20-14 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by chrisih8u (Post 12308541)
What rule did he break? This thread on the other hand seems to be breaking a rule.

• Ignoring or arguing with warning posts a moderator or administrator makes in a thread. If you think the warning is unjust please email them or another moderator to discuss it.

This comment in that thread is pretty spot on:

Originally Posted by hdnmickey (Post 12308507)
It's like Mad's Spy vs. Spy, but on DVDTalk it's Troll vs. Troll.

Trevor 11-20-14 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by chrisih8u (Post 12308541)

We need new rules.

Silly nonsense like personal insults are against the rules, but near site-wide objectification of women runs rampart.

Solid Snake 11-21-14 12:17 AM

not mention some have racist moments too.

Sean O'Hara 11-21-14 01:53 AM

Racism is already supposed to be against the rules.

Except in cop threads.

Pharoh 11-21-14 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 12309187)
We need new rules.

Silly nonsense like personal insults are against the rules, but near site-wide objectification of women runs rampart.

I personally agree in principle, but there really are two separate issues at hand.

One is the apparent misogynistic tone of the fora and the overall vileness, along with the opposing concerns of over-moderation and censorship. I believe that is a very real issue and deserving of its own thread. Perhaps Feedback is the most appropriate place for such a thread, though Other would probably be a more involved place to have such a discussion.

Secondly, is the calling out of a specific poster, which really isn't allowed, at least not in this way.

Psi 11-21-14 08:54 AM

It's not just the trolling, but also the bombastic language. There is little discussion, but only declarations and insults of people who disagree or try to reason otherwise.

hdnmickey 11-21-14 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by The Cow (Post 12308543)

This comment in that thread is pretty spot on:

And that was before I saw this thread. More true than ever.

The just ignore comment was also spot on. I know I've certainly come to the conclusion that some here are not worth a repsonse.

VinVega 11-21-14 04:36 PM

There are several points of discussion in this thread.

1. Are trolls getting free passes?
2. Use the ignore feature.
3. Mods don't do their jobs? (I don't agree with this at all)
4. Publicly calling out both posters and mods in a feedback thread.

I think we can have this discussion in a thread, but the way this one started by calling out a poster as a troll (without having even used the RTP feature regarding any of these posts) is not the way to start this kind of discussion. You want to start a thread based on any or all of the topics I mentioned, I'd be happy to entertain these ideas, but this thread was not the way to open this kind of discussion and I'm closing it. Feel free to start another one without calling out posters please.