DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Forum Feedback and Support (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support-4/)
-   -   "Completely" Ignoring Posters? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support/623437-completely-ignoring-posters.html)

kenbuzz 11-09-14 08:40 PM

"Completely" Ignoring Posters?

Is it possible, via the software used on the DVDTalk forums, to COMPLETELY block posts made by ignored users so that not even placeholders for their posts appear?

For situations when a user who has been blocked posts to a message thread being viewed by a blocking user, the current board behavior is to not display the text of the offending user's post. But the board still presents an indication that the offending user has posted by showing a placeholder and offering a "reveal" link.

Is it possible to modify that behavior so that no indication that a blocked user has posted is presented at all? This would not need to be a site-wide setting... something that individual users can set as a prefernce on their own would be sufficient.

Thanks!

auto 11-09-14 09:23 PM

Re: "Completely" Ignoring Posters?

I'm not that bad. :(

Cardsfan111 11-09-14 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by auto (Post 12296760)
I'm not that bad. :(

Quoting you so kenbuzz will see your reply.

Sonic 11-09-14 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111 (Post 12296764)
Quoting you so kenbuzz will see your reply.

Exactly.

What's the point in hiding the ignored placeholders when someone can quote their posts and still be read.

Originally Posted by kenbuzz (Post 12296716)
"Partially" Ignoring Posters?

Fixed. ;)

fumanstan 11-10-14 12:06 AM

I think I asked about this same thing a few years ago :lol:

EdTheRipper 11-10-14 06:30 AM

You have to strongly dislike someone to not even want to see their name on the left side of the page. Perhaps a hitman can be hired to just take them out, so they can't post at all.

Adam Tyner 11-10-14 08:38 AM

If you use Chrome, you could try this extension:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...capnh?hl=en-GB

A similar workaround for Firefox:
http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthre...ulletin-Ignore

Apparently these block quoted posts as well.

kenbuzz 11-10-14 07:45 PM

I do use Chrome, so can certainly try that and if it does the trick - great. I'm still curious if there's a site-side solution, though. Why force the site to push/format info to me just to have a third-party piece of software throw that data away and reformat the page? Seems wasteful on both ends of the pipe. :)

Edited to add:

Hide posts from ignored doofuses in vBulletin. A sherdog special.

Removes posts from ignored users in vBulletin.
Without this extension, posts from ignored users still appear in threads with a link to remove the user from ignore list.
This extension banishes those posts altogether.

Deftones 11-10-14 08:11 PM

:wave:

Adam Tyner 11-10-14 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by kenbuzz (Post 12297835)
I'm still curious if there's a site-side solution, though. Why force the site to push/format info to me just to have a third-party piece of software throw that data away and reformat the page? Seems wasteful on both ends of the pipe. :)

There's not an option built into vBulletin to support this. There are plugins that have similar functionality -- http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=109543 -- but I haven't seen anything that would let users specify who they want to completely block. With the one I just linked to, a mod/admin would have to set that for you.

Because of the amount of data that's pre-queried with vBulletin, the resources saved by doing this server-side approach zero. No matter what, you'd still see that there are posts missing in a thread, for instance.

Trevor 11-11-14 07:51 AM

I'll join the peanut gallery and say that a mature adult shouldn't need help to ignore people.

The Cow 11-11-14 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 12298199)
I'll join the peanut gallery and say that a mature adult shouldn't need help to ignore people.

:up:

Hokeyboy 11-11-14 08:23 AM

Seriously :up:

hdnmickey 11-12-14 10:09 AM

Agreed. Although it's sad just how many here are only worth ignoring. Discussions like the weekly NFL threads, that should be fun, become tiresome really fast.

covenant 11-12-14 02:54 PM

I try to limit the amount of garbage I have to wade through every day. Whether it be ads or the daily comments from certain cocktards.

Norm de Plume 11-12-14 03:52 PM

^Can you elaborate, in reference to those cocktards? I'm genuinely curious.

I echo Trevor's comment. I have never felt compelled to put anyone on ignore. I don't even notice any particularly intolerable members here. Even those shall-not-be-named banned religious zealots with unswervable tunnel vision didn't bother me nearly enough to block them. Let everyone have his/her say. If it becomes offensive, that person will be banned by the crew here.

Hokeyboy 11-12-14 04:02 PM

If someone is so unbelievably repugnant to you that an Ignore List isn't enough and you want any and all evidence of said person removed from your Internet... it's time to get off the Internet.

covenant 11-12-14 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by hokeyboy (Post 12300013)
if someone is so unbelievably repugnant to you that an ignore list isn't enough and you want any and all evidence of said person removed from your internet... It's time to get off the internet.

:lol:

On TV if I don't like a program I can change the channel and never watch it again (or never choose to watch it in the first place). In real life If I don't want to listen to what someone has to say I can walk away.
But to be a mature adult on the internet I have to read stuff I don't like every day? :confused:

majorjoe23 11-14-14 03:02 PM

There was someone I put on ignore, but mostly it served to highlight their crazy posts so that I wouldn't miss them. Every time I saw "This message is hidden because mw zepol* is on your ignore list," it was like opening a little Christmas present.

Sadly, the presents have dried up.

*Name changed to preserve their anonymity.

Draven 11-14-14 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by covenant (Post 12300065)
:lol:

On TV if I don't like a program I can change the channel and never watch it again (or never choose to watch it in the first place). In real life If I don't want to listen to what someone has to say I can walk away.
But to be a mature adult on the internet I have to read stuff I don't like every day? :confused:

Reading is an activity. It's not passive. You choose what to read just like you choose what TV show to watch. You can't easily skip a post with your eyes?

Kurt D 11-15-14 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 (Post 12302256)
There was someone I put on ignore, but mostly it served to highlight their crazy posts so that I wouldn't miss them. Every time I saw "This message is hidden because mw zepol* is on your ignore list," it was like opening a little Christmas present.

Sadly, the presents have dried up.

*Name changed to preserve their anonymity.

I'm going to be sweating for weeks trying to figure out to whom you are referring! ;)

Norm de Plume 11-15-14 03:19 PM

I guess I'm on covenant's Ignore list.:shrug:

covenant 11-15-14 03:49 PM

You're not, I just couldn't expound on my opinion without giving oh-too-easy to guess examples of who I'm talking about. ;)

Norm de Plume 11-15-14 10:47 PM

Gotcha.;)