Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Universal Classic Monsters: Complete 30-Film Collection ...review copies?

Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Old 09-24-14, 12:26 AM

Not owning any of the 21 sequel films, I am intrigued by this set, but annoyed that professional reviews are seemingly nowhere to be found...assuming nothing's changed in the past few days. The main question is whether Universal did any upgrades to these films or are simply recycling their prints from a decade ago. Would any of the reviewers tell me if DVDTalk received a screener set? If not, is somebody willing to request one?
Old 09-24-14, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Universal Classic Monsters: Complete 30-Film Collection ...review copies?

Alright fine. Send me the review copy and I'll do it.
Old 09-24-14, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

It's doubtful screeners were sent out. Studios have been getting stingier and stingier these days in what they've been sending out, especially when it comes to multi-disc sets.
Old 09-24-14, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is Universal you're talking about. I would expect this to just be a repackaging of the old releases on single-sided discs instead of double-sided. There's no indication that Universal will release the sequels on blu-ray so I say go for it if the price seems reasonable.
Old 09-25-14, 10:16 AM

Universal's historical cheapness (likely second only to Paramount) isn't lost on me, and these are the same thoughts that crossed my mind. But word is trickling out that they did more than just repackage the old prints. Some fixes here, maybe a new transfer there, etc. Not enough to release the Creature sequels in widescreen, unfortunately, but something. I'm still hoping for a more definitive word on what's in the box, and particularly if these prints are at least as good as those currently available to TV. For example, I remember seeing The Bride of Frankenstein on TV in perhaps 2010 and marveling how good it looked vs. the DVD I'd actually paid good money for. I've since bought the BD box, of course, but would love a more critical look at the other films before I shell out cash.

Last edited by thetao; 09-25-14 at 10:24 AM.
Old 09-27-14, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It sounds like problems with the original Legacy collections have been fixed but no new transfers for the sequels. You probably should have posted this in the dvd forum where someone who bought the set could answer your question. I can live with the legacy collections and will just wait and see if Universal releases them on blu-ray on the future.
Old 10-01-14, 07:13 PM

Glenn Erickson posted a review: http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s4607mons.html . I suppose the size of the set made it an unwieldy review subject. Sadly, I feel more moved now to just record the ~6 films I really want from their sometimes/often better broadcast prints.