DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Forum Feedback and Support (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support-4/)
-   -   Bryan Singer Thread Closed [Merged] (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support/619627-bryan-singer-thread-closed-%5Bmerged%5D.html)

fumanstan 04-22-14 02:48 PM

Bryan Singer Thread Closed [Merged]

Just noticed it now... why was the thread closed? I don't see any message from a mod/admin or anything bad in the thread.

Troy Stiffler 04-22-14 02:52 PM

re: Bryan Singer Thread Closed [Merged]

Shhh. Everything is fine. EVERYTHING IS FINE!

Groucho 04-22-14 03:34 PM

I will check on this.

Lt Ripley 04-22-14 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler (Post 12085127)
Shhh. Everything is fine. EVERYTHING IS FINE!

:lol:

Draven 04-22-14 04:55 PM

When a thread is locked, could we know why?

The Bryan Singer rape allegations thread was locked with no explanation from a mod as the final post.

Could this be made a mandatory rule? Usually it's not an issue but it's not always clear what we did "wrong" so that explanation post helps.

Groucho 04-22-14 05:18 PM

Re: When a thread is locked, could we know why?

I agree with your point.

I don't have any answers yet on that particular thread in question (I am not the mod who closed it), but it's already been discussed here: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedb...ad-closed.html

Crocker Jarmen 04-22-14 08:09 PM

Discussion got pretty off-track with why Leo Decaprio is a racist and Mexican resort reviews, but I'm also guessing TPTB are worried the discussion is turning potential libelous. Whatever Singer did is still alleged and people are posting all kinds of FOAF anecdotes without real proof.

VinVega 04-22-14 09:27 PM

Re: Bryan Singer Thread Closed [Merged]

Giles closed the thread. I will ask him to comment here.

Shannon Nutt 04-23-14 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen (Post 12085462)
Discussion got pretty off-track with why Leo Decaprio is a racist and Mexican resort reviews, but I'm also guessing TPTB are worried the discussion is turning potential libelous. Whatever Singer did is still alleged and people are posting all kinds of FOAF anecdotes without real proof.

Neither of those reasons hold water. How many other celebs get talked about in the forums? Heck, there are REVIEWS on DVD Talk that mention unsubstantiated illegal activities by celebrities.

My guess is this has more to do with DVD TALK's relationship with FOX than it does concerns over a lawsuit. If Mr. Singer wanted to file a libel suit, there's a lot bigger fish to fry than this little website.

Giles 04-23-14 08:16 AM

The reason 'why' I closed it, was one) the comments were all over the place in context (or not) the progression of the thread was imploding on itself, what was said was said; two) attempts at humor regarding 'rape' I thought were crass and highly insensitive and inappropriate - I felt that closing the thread was a sort of squelching of a topic where a lot of pointless comments were just being added for the sake of saying very little (or something really inane).

Noonan 04-23-14 08:22 AM

Going by that logic, half the threads in this forum should be closed...

Giles 04-23-14 08:33 AM

^ just be glad that I'm not moderating in the 'General Discussion' subforums ;)

JumpCutz 04-23-14 09:47 AM

Yeah, Amen to that. :)

fumanstan 04-23-14 10:01 AM

Maybe it's just me, but I think that's a terrible reason to just close a thread without a comment or warning about getting off topic.

Dan 04-23-14 10:08 AM

I think it's a good reason to close the thread, but I also think a comment should have been left as well. :shrug:

TomOpus 04-23-14 10:23 AM

Giles has added a comment.

fumanstan 04-23-14 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Dan (Post 12085901)
I think it's a good reason to close the thread, but I also think a comment should have been left as well. :shrug:

I guess to me these type of things are usually met by a warning before sudden closure. And even then, those rape jokes seem to happen all the time as a joke for Solid Snake, so nothing out of the ordinary unless people are supposed to be particularly sensitive given the topic. I don't know, if the thread was in Other it seems like it would be par for the course.

Don't mean to make it a big deal, not like a need to discuss Bryan Singer or anything. Just seems quick to judge.

Draven 04-23-14 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 12085895)
Maybe it's just me, but I think that's a terrible reason to just close a thread without a comment or warning about getting off topic.

It's not just you. I think it could have been brought back on track, especially since this story will probably keep going for awhile.

joeblow69 04-23-14 10:51 AM

So are we not allowed to start a new thread on the topic?
Is there a new rule we can't make fun of rape allegations no matter how specious?

JumpCutz 04-23-14 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Draven (Post 12085934)
It's not just you. I think it could have been brought back on track, especially since this story will probably keep going for awhile.

Agreed.

Hopefully there will be a new ongoing discussion thread when more of the story unfolds.

Giles 04-23-14 11:16 AM

I'll reopen the thread when someone wants to PM a message to me that's there's new news and I feel folk can have a constructive discussion of it, but the frat-boy mentality and comments lately haven't proven to me that it's worth to keep the thread open.

JumpCutz 04-23-14 11:25 AM

Fair enough. :thumbsup:

joeblow69 04-23-14 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Giles (Post 12085977)
I'll reopen the thread when someone wants to PM a message to me that's there's new news and I feel folk can have a constructive discussion of it, but the frat-boy mentality and comments lately haven't proven to me that it's worth to keep the thread open.

I don't know, this just seems really weird to me. Is it just rape topics we need to be super serious about? Or do other topics need to be constantly above "frat-boy mentality"?

Draven 04-23-14 02:38 PM

If that's the standard, we aren't going to have many open threads about hot female teachers banging their students.

BearFan 04-23-14 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by joeblow69 (Post 12086005)
I don't know, this just seems really weird to me. Is it just rape topics we need to be super serious about? Or do other topics need to be constantly above "frat-boy mentality"?

The closing of threads on a forum it is like some kind of non-consensual act, there is nothing you do about it, so you should probably just enjoy it.