DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Forum Feedback and Support (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support-4/)
-   -   Phantom Pages (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support/616528-phantom-pages.html)

Supermallet 12-27-13 08:30 PM

Phantom Pages

I've been noticing phantom page numbers showing up consistently across different browsers, computers, IPs, etc.

What I mean is, say you have a 5 page thread. At the top and bottom, where you can click to different pages of the thread, instead of showing links to pages 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5, it will also show a link to page 6, which doesn't exist. When you click on the link for page 6, it takes you to the top of page 5. If the thread gets to be 6 pages long, then I'll see a link for page 7, and so on.

Has anyone else had this problem?

The Cow 12-27-13 08:37 PM

Re: Phantom Pages

I've seen that for years. Never cared enough to try and figure it out other than it's like an 'off by 1' thing somehow it seems sometimes.

FWIW, I'm set to 40 posts per page.

MrSmearkase 12-27-13 09:20 PM

I have noticed this as well. Another side effect of it is that the "Go to New Post" button does not actually land a new post; rather, it loads the top of the page.

Is it because posts were deleted and the post count is now off?

VinVega 12-27-13 09:41 PM

Sometimes a link or embed someone posts will blow up a thread and cause that error. I've seen it a few times. It's not something the posters intends, it just happens by accident sometimes. If you know the thread in question I can try to take a look at it.

Supermallet 12-27-13 10:32 PM

I've been seeing it in every thread for the past week and a half or so.

Except, of course, now that I have reported it, it has magically stopped.

Rex Power Colt-Robot Man 12-28-13 02:02 AM

DVDTalk is haunted.

TomOpus 12-28-13 07:58 AM

Yes I've noticed it from time to time. I think there's an existing thread about. Or maybe it was discussed in a thread.

Supermallet 12-28-13 01:45 PM

I can currently see it in the NSA thread in politics.

VinVega 12-28-13 03:47 PM

So you're talking about this?

http://i.imgur.com/aC6stx3.jpg

Where the next page after 3 is 11?

Then when you click Last, you actually get to this many pages.

http://i.imgur.com/M0e8r4x.jpg

TomOpus 12-28-13 04:11 PM

No. Using your bottom graphic, say 31 is black, indicating you are on page 31. Page 32 is light, indicating there is a page 32 but when you try to go there, you are still on page 31 and it still shows there's a page 32.

PhantomStranger 12-28-13 04:17 PM

I thought we had come to the bottom of this problem several years ago. Something like deleted posts messing up the system's internal counting system?

VinVega 12-28-13 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus (Post 11959558)
No. Using your bottom graphic, say 31 is black, indicating you are on page 31. Page 32 is light, indicating there is a page 32 but when you try to go there, you are still on page 31 and it still shows there's a page 32.

I guess I'm just not seeing that. I hit the thread Super was talking about and had no issues checking the bottom of my screen. I'm using Firefox. What browser are people with issues using?

mhg83 12-28-13 06:16 PM

On Google Chrome and it is currently happening on the A & E Duck Dynasty thread.

MrSmearkase 12-28-13 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 11959568)
I thought we had come to the bottom of this problem several years ago. Something like deleted posts messing up the system's internal counting system?

Precisely what I thought it was a few posts above.

hanshotfirst1138 12-28-13 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus (Post 11959558)

I've had this same thing happen, I assumed it was some sort of glitch. It isn't a huge deal, but it's kind of weird.

Originally Posted by Rex Power Colt-Robot Man (Post 11959181)
DVDTalk is haunted.

THE POWER OF BLU-RAY COMPELS YOU! THE POWER OF BLU-RAY COMPELS YOU!

Groucho 12-28-13 07:02 PM

I'm guessing this is caused by deleted posts, because I don't see it. Supermallet is this something that you started seeing after you were no longer a mod?

Supermallet 12-28-13 07:49 PM

Yes, but not immediately.

fumanstan 12-28-13 09:05 PM

I recall this being because of deleted posts too.

VinVega 12-28-13 10:20 PM

I logged out and just viewed as Guest and I see what you're talking about. It has to be because of deleted posts. We've had a lot of spammers lately and that has caused some of it.

-edit: I don't know if there's anything that can fix this glitch. I did a quick sweep of the admin control panel and nothing jumps out at me. I'll ask IB. Maybe the web admin has a trick up their sleeve.

MrSmearkase 03-11-14 12:02 PM

I have been experiencing this problem for a day or two with the gif thread in Other. I will not land me on the last page, and when I select the last page on the bottom, and just directs me to the top of the first.

Is there a way to correct this?

MrSmearkase 03-12-14 01:05 PM

Any update?

More clearly, when I select the "Go to Last Post" button, it lands on the 384th page, containing posts 9,576-9,600. The front page on Other says that there are 9,625 replies.

ibobi 03-12-14 08:38 PM

There is in fact no fix, it's a known bug. There are in fact no actual posts on the phantom pages, so you're not missing anything.

whotony 03-23-14 12:39 AM

I've seen it for years.
Odd but never bothered me.

TheBang 03-25-14 09:07 AM

In case you're interested in the super-long technical discussion:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...last-page.html

CRM114 03-25-14 01:57 PM

ITs just the way the page is calculating the number of pages. I'm not sure if it just uses post count for factors in the length of the post. I think it's just page count and I wouldn't be able to explain how it could calculate this wrong unless someone deletes a post in the thread in between page views.