DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Forum Feedback and Support (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support-4/)
-   -   VG talk Fan boys and console wars (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support/614859-vg-talk-fan-boys-console-wars.html)

mhg83 10-31-13 05:51 PM

VG talk Fan boys and console wars

Can we get some mod control over in Videogame talk? I used to like visiting the section when L & O was mod. Since his absence it's been overrun with posts from idiot fanboys raging over the next-gen consoles. I figured something would be addressed but nothing yet.

I signed up for this forum to get away from crap like this from other sites.

Groucho 10-31-13 06:16 PM

Re: VG talk Fan boys and console wars

Not sure what you want me to do. I've given warnings in several threads, and the worst offenders have subsided. If you continue to see problem posts, report them.

Draven 11-01-13 05:30 PM

Plus it's been 10 years since we had new consoles to talk about. Of course things are going to get heated.

VinVega 11-01-13 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 11891350)
Not sure what you want me to do.

Ban everything in site of course. ;)

This holiday season is going to be busy in VG Talk with the new consoles coming out. Do the VG peeps think we need some sort of rules of conduct specific to the console wars?

My Other Self 11-02-13 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by VinVega (Post 11892917)

This holiday season is going to be busy in VG Talk with the new consoles coming out. Do the VG peeps think we need some sort of rules of conduct specific to the console wars?

I actually don't think it's that bad. It's annoying to read all of this pro-Console X and anti-Console Y comments, but I think that just comes with the territory. As long as the attacks aren't personal I don't see a problem. :shrug:

TimeandTide 11-03-13 10:29 AM

Add chess to your ignore list. Problem solved.

Liver&Onions 11-04-13 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by mhg83 (Post 11891336)
Can we get some mod control over in Videogame talk? I used to like visiting the section when L & O was mod. Since his absence it's been overrun with posts from idiot fanboys raging over the next-gen consoles. I figured something would be addressed but nothing yet.

:dance: :banana:

Liver&Onions 11-04-13 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by VinVega (Post 11892917)

The rules should be:

1. Don't be a dick
2. Respect other people's opinions
3. Don't resort to petty insults over a fucking game console
4. Don't be a dick
5. Enjoy the fact we get new game consoles
6. Don't be a dick

story 11-04-13 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by My Other Self (Post 11893117)
As long as the attacks aren't personal I don't see a problem. :shrug:

Agreed.

Originally Posted by mhg83 (Post 11891336)
it's been overrun with posts from idiot fanboys raging over the next-gen consoles.

:rolleyes:

Dan 11-05-13 01:39 AM

I think Groucho and namja are doing fine over there. I'm interested to see where things go once the "pre-release" threads are replaced. As long as most of the discussion is healthy, and the minimal trolling that still exists is kept at bay, then it'll continue to be a good place for the community to do what they do best; talk about games. Although the specs/exclusives wars will never fully go away, I'm sure.
Hell, maybe even the VG Talk reviews site will start up again. Wouldn't that be grand? :) I know I'd like to see something other than Catherine and Deus Ex in the VG Talk headers. ;)

chuckd21 11-05-13 01:02 PM

I was going to ask about when VGT coverage of the new consoles was going to start.

Supermallet 11-05-13 10:43 PM

Apparently mgh83 doesn't remember what it was like during the last set of console launches. Or what it was like in HD Talk during the format wars. What's going on in VGT right now is nothing--NOTHING--compared to those.

benedict 11-06-13 01:41 AM

If this is a predictable situation, - like certain sports or political events - if the usual process is warning, suspension, BAN but folk would prefer that their more hot-headed online fans are not removed permanently from the site, then maybe there should be a consensus regarding either lengthier suspensions - say a couple of months rather than a couple of weeks - &/or the facility for removing the facility to post in that particular forum for a suitable period.

Although maybe something for the consideration of mods and admins - especially VGT mods - now there's a thread here, perhaps VGT regulars could weigh in with their thoughts i.e. would this be a welcome development or should normal rules apply? And what about folk who are already on recent VGT-related warnings &/or suspensions incurred over the past six months?

VinVega 11-07-13 08:07 AM

Good point benedict. So far I'm not getting the vibe that any major changes are wanted in VG Talk, but I agree that VG posters should chime in here if they think something is needed. The only change I'd like to see is another mod added to the forum. I think it's going to be pretty busy in there this holiday season and people tend to go on vacation and such this time of year. Another pair of hands to help out might be a good idea.

fumanstan 11-07-13 11:55 AM

I don't think any suspension thats more then a couple weeks is worth it. I thought we had that discussion before about how dumb multi-month suspensions were in practice.

I don't think anything special needs to be done, I thought the existing actions of asking certain people to step out of certain threads was a good move (although apparently it doesn't always work, from today), especially since it was obvious to me some users only have an interest in gloating and negativity posts.

Liver&Onions 11-07-13 01:18 PM

In the past when fanboyism flared up I recall issuing temporary suspensions of a couple weeks, I think at most it was 2. That settled things down because the main offender was quiet for that period, people had good discussion and once the ban was lifted that person's approach to discussion changed enough to not be an issue.

chess 11-07-13 01:19 PM

FYI, I was given the go ahead to post by PM from Namja weeks ago, but I've refrained from doing so by choice.

Feel free to ban me, but please read posts first.

Canis Firebrand 11-07-13 01:19 PM

Outside of a few instances and and a few posters appearing to stir things up, I think that it's been fairly tame. The biggest issue that I have seen, and that I think is being addressed, is posters who are clearly pro one side and anti the other side going into discussion threads that discuss a console they have no intention of getting just to make veiled thread craps to see what they can stir up.

If that kind of posting behavior is discouraged and dealt with, everything else should continue on calmly.... at least that's my take on it.

chess 11-07-13 01:31 PM

If I'm allowed input, I think it would be nice if people were discouraged from making whatever rebuttal they have about the poster rather than the post.

It would also be nice if complaints weren't taken at face value but rather were "looked into" to see whether that person's actual posts were in any way personal, untruthful, provocative or rude. Some people complain more than others, and that should be taken into account.

Noonan 11-07-13 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Supermallet (Post 11897939)
Apparently mgh83 doesn't remember what it was like during the last set of console launches. Or what it was like in HD Talk during the format wars. What's going on in VGT right now is nothing--NOTHING--compared to those.

So true. This launch has been damn near polite in comparison.

Draven 11-07-13 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Noonan (Post 11900115)
So true. This launch has been damn near polite in comparison.

I agree with this too. It's really not that bad.

My two cents is that I don't think anything beyond the usual moderation is necessary. It seems to be under control at the moment.

fumanstan 11-07-13 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by chess (Post 11900083)
If I'm allowed input, I think it would be nice if people were discouraged from making whatever rebuttal they have about the poster rather than the post.

It would also be nice if complaints weren't taken at face value but rather were "looked into" to see whether that person's actual posts were in any way personal, untruthful, provocative or rude. Some people complain more than others, and that should be taken into account.

No point beating around the bush here, but previous history and intent should be taken in to consideration. You complain about people's rebuttal being against you personally, but it's not hard to see the reason for it. Your first post back in the XBox thread after a couple weeks off was unsurprisingly about the resolution discussion and XBox hardware being weaker... again.

Yeah, pointing out resolution for games in itself isn't against any rules. But taken in context of the last 6 months of discussion and the history of people's complaints about you, claiming you had zero intent or motivation behind it is eye rolling. There's an obvious repeated pattern for why you stop in to XBox, Call of Duty, or Dead Rising threads with specific type of news. And as I pointed out, hypocritical give your reaction in the Battlefield thread. Seems fair to point it out because it's been consistent with you all year, and I wish (and others too, it seems) you would just cut it out and have politely said as much in the past.

Groucho 11-07-13 02:09 PM

I would venture a guess that the average age of the participants in Video Game Talk is significantly higher than that of other video game forums. Hopefully the level of discourse can reflect that. Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo don't need us shilling for their products with memes and animated gifs.

Deftones 11-07-13 02:16 PM

I do find it mildly amusing that chess basically gave up posting here in a big huff, said he was going to go post at another forum that is very supportive of what he wants, but then was right back doing the same shit less than a week later. It's obnoxious, but I've tuned most of it out. Having said that, he's back doing exactly what he was doing before in the same thread. So I guess nothing lasts forever.

Adam Tyner 11-07-13 02:41 PM

http://i.minus.com/ikyNvzTAxQCnQ.gif