DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Forum Feedback and Support (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support-4/)
-   -   Bizarre DVD Talk Visitor Survey...??? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support/608299-bizarre-dvd-talk-visitor-survey.html)

lamphorn 01-28-13 05:32 PM

Bizarre DVD Talk Visitor Survey...???

Was enticed by a popup here to take a survey to supposedly improve the DVD Talk experience and figured it would be questions about movies or forum preferences. Nope, I got through about 8 or 9 questions about my hair texture and what sorts of shampoo I use before I bailed on it. Was I scammed by a third-party thing, or is DVD Talk actually interested in the quality of my hair?

TheBang 01-29-13 07:05 PM

Re: Bizarre DVD Talk Visitor Survey...???

Sounds like you got ad-ware or a malicious plug-in on your machine.

b2net 01-30-13 06:56 PM

This popped up on me as well.. It has the DVD Talk supposed endorsement. I didnt click it.

Damfino 01-30-13 09:16 PM

These random pop up survey things are frequently misleading. I followed one once at a news site on the pretext that they were interested in my opinions on the site. Instead every question was about travel and my opinions regarding travel. I bailed before they tried to sell me a time share.

TheBang 01-30-13 09:36 PM

Maybe you have the same Ad-ware on your computer? ;)

Another possibility is that it could be a malicious banner ad that has gotten into the rotation.

b2net 01-31-13 03:21 AM

I would be inclined to think I had same except it only happened on DVD Talk & I have latest protection running. If it happens again, I will get screen grab..

Pizza 01-31-13 06:44 AM

I had the same thing. It was bizarre. Like you said, it claimed to be a survey about DVDTalk and then was questions about hair. Ticked me off.

ibobi 01-31-13 02:06 PM

Please do grab a screenshot -- and if you can Firebug the HTML that helps us track them too. These kinds of ads are NOT approved by DVDTalk and are blocked whenever they appear.

It does sound as though it may be adware on your machine, but we won't know until/unless we see more reports of this. I'll have tech check the site just to be sure.

Paul

b2net 01-31-13 02:29 PM

Got mine during the forum down time when i was at the root www. not forum. If that helps.

Tarantino 02-05-13 06:31 PM

I've seen those before also.

ibobi 02-06-13 04:47 PM

Should not happen again.

Sweet Baby James 02-09-13 07:49 AM

And I was all set to talk about my greasy hair.:(