Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

A suggestion for a new "streaming TV episodes" forum or sub-forum...

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-12, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As mentioned in the TV folder, new episodes of Arrested Development will be hitting Netflix in just a few months, as well as other Netflix exclusive shows such as David Fincher’s drama series House of Cards with Kevin Spacey. The way Netflix is said to be doing it, is putting up all of the episodes at a single time instead of slowly releasing them week to week like a normal TV season.

Would it be possible, because of this, to either start a new folder called "Streaming TV Talk" or at least a folder by the same name added as a subfolder to the already created "Streaming Talk"?

It will be close to impossible to have discussion for both of these shows, and future shows that will likely be coming out in the near future, to simply have a single thread for each show. Either everything would be spoiled for everyone, or the threads for each show would be nothing but spoilered text.

Having a folder or sub folder for these streaming TV shows would just be a much easier way for us to continue to have discussions on these shows as we have done for other TV shows for all of these years now. On day one, we could have someone make an individual thread for each episode, and as we watch the season at our convenience, we could then go to the corresponding thread to see what others are saying about it.

Heck, we could have the "Streaming TV Talk" folder, and then subfolders from there for each individual streaming show so things are easier to find, but I guess that could get confusing.

Anyway, I just thought I'd toss this out there before these Netflix exclusive episodes start to hit. Thanks!
Old 12-13-12, 10:05 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Re: A suggestion for a new "streaming TV episodes" forum or sub-forum...

I guess I see the point, but think we may be on a slippery slope of too many sub-forums. I bet almost every thread on this forum could be argued as to being appropriate for at least two different sub-forums.
Old 12-13-12, 10:11 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I guess I see the point, but think we may be on a slippery slope of too many sub-forums. I bet almost every thread on this forum could be argued as to being appropriate for at least two different sub-forums.
Do you really want 15 Arrested Development threads to pop up all at once in one of the existing forum?

And I haven't seen a plethora of sub-forums created lately, so I'm not understanding the "slippery slope" argument.
Old 12-13-12, 12:13 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Do you really want 15 Arrested Development threads to pop up all at once in one of the existing forum?

And I haven't seen a plethora of sub-forums created lately, so I'm not understanding the "slippery slope" argument.
The more AD the better! But I guess not....

Perhaps my argument wasn't quite logical, but I just get confused easily. I want to start a thread about a TV show episode, so I put it in TV Talk, right? No, wait, it's streaming, so do I use Streaming Talk? No, not there either......
Old 12-13-12, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Considering the hive of activity the current streaming forum has been, I think a streaming TV forum would enjoy a slow, painful death.
Old 12-26-12, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Considering the hive of activity the current streaming forum has been, I think a streaming TV forum would enjoy a slow, painful death.
Moving to Book Talk.
Old 12-26-12, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Perhaps my argument wasn't quite logical, but I just get confused easily. I want to start a thread about a TV show episode, so I put it in TV Talk, right? No, wait, it's streaming, so do I use Streaming Talk? No, not there either......
But wait, it's now out of streaming window so the thread has to be moved!

I just like the TV talk to be in TV Talk.
Old 01-05-13, 07:37 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's a TV show. Leave it in the TV Talk forum.
Old 01-07-13, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ Right. If I watch Breaking Bad on DVD, I wouldn't post about each episode in DVD Talk, I'd post or join the episode discussion in TV Talk.

Besides, there is no such thing as "Streaming TV" when it comes to original content like the Fincher thing or Ricky Gervais upcoming show...it's Streaming, pure and simple.
Old 01-07-13, 08:01 PM

So you guys are okay with individual episode threads for each installment of Arrested Development and House of Cards appearing all at once in the TV forum? I don't know how many episodes each of those are getting, but I'm assuming it's 10-20.
Old 01-07-13, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

I don't see why they can't just go into one thread in TV Talk. The BG Blood and Chrome episodes were all released online only over a short period of time, and everyone was fine discussing them in one thread in TV Talk.
Old 01-07-13, 09:17 PM

That's the point. People don't want one thread...we want to discuss them on an episode-by-episode basis, just like every other show to avoid spoilers and so on. So, it's either flood TV Talk, or create a sub-forum to keep things tidy.
Old 01-07-13, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

So you guys are okay with individual episode threads for each installment of Arrested Development and House of Cards appearing all at once in the TV forum? I don't know how many episodes each of those are getting, but I'm assuming it's 10-20.
House of Cards has 13 episodes for season 1. Arrested Development will have 12-15.

All 13 episodes of House of Cards will get posted Friday February 1st.

I have a compromise. I or anyone else can drop in a House of Cards episode thread every Friday. Gives you time to digest and talk about each episode over the course of 1 week. And honestly by the sound of the premise, it's such a deep, plot-driven political drama that it's probably unlikely people will even watch it right away on Friday. I just don't think it's worth the time and effort to post the entire season in 1 day. Same applies to Arrested Development. If that gets posted on say a Friday as well, I think someone who wants to talk about it can drop in episode 1 on the 1st Friday and then episode 2 on the following Friday etc etc. It's unlikely that one of the posters in going to watch the entire season in 1 night or weekend and then want to run to DVDTalk.com blabbering spoilers. Traffic is down so much already. We get more lurker clicks than people actually wanting to talk.

If we can stick to talking about them once per week, I think things will be alot more productive.
Old 01-07-13, 09:29 PM

That's a fair compromise. Only thing we won't be able to avoid are the people who like to relish in knowing more than everybody else...you know them well from the Game of Thrones threads: "Oh...just wait until you see what happens to _____________ in episode ___!"

Arrested Development, it probably doesn't matter (not a plot-driven show).
Old 01-07-13, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Eh, I just don't get why it's such a big deal to at least make a subforum in TV Talk or Streaming talk so we can have individual threads for each episodes like we do for normal TV shows. It seems like a pretty big no brainer to me, especially since we are likely to see a lot more of this sort of thing in the coming months.
Old 01-07-13, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

Well, if the amount of conversation justifies it, I don't have a problem with dropping 15 new threads all at once on TV Talk. That said, if done that way, I think you'll get a low participation rate. If you spread them out once per week, you'll probably have people who like to marathon it, for whom that will be way too slow. Maybe spreading the new threads out over the course of a week or two?

But frankly, will it really generate enough conversation to justify more than a single season-encompassing thread? The Battlestar Galactica Blood & Chrome thread only generated a handful of responses, and the weekly thread for the TV show used to always have several pages.
Old 01-07-13, 09:40 PM

Wasn't the BG thing shorter webisodes? House of Cards is a full-blown series with an A-list actor leading the cast.
Old 01-07-13, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Wasn't the BG thing shorter webisodes? House of Cards is a full-blown series with an A-list actor leading the cast.
Yes, it was a 100 minute movie with a no-name cast broken up into like 9 or 10 mini webisodes.
Old 01-07-13, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk God

I don't think we're really getting anywhere here.

When House of Cards gets posted next month, I will try the week to week thing and see how it goes. I think you will get better participation and we're still in the midst of the TV season, so not everyone will want to talk about that 1 show.

Arrested Development isn't expected to get posted until May, so that will be wait and see.
Old 01-10-13, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Why would they be in TV Talk? The word TV stands for television. These are not television programs. They are streaming programs. Is the new Star Trek movie thread in TV Talk because Star Trek started on TV? Nope. They've moved to another medium. Deal with it. They should be in Streaming Talk. Whether a subforum is needed there...I doubt it, but it would make some sense for organizational value.
Old 01-10-13, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Why would they be in TV Talk? The word TV stands for television. These are not television programs. They are streaming programs. Is the new Star Trek movie thread in TV Talk because Star Trek started on TV? Nope. They've moved to another medium. Deal with it. They should be in Streaming Talk. Whether a subforum is needed there...I doubt it, but it would make some sense for organizational value.
In this case, I think of the streaming as a delivery method rather than some revolutionary form of content. Interesting argument, though--say, if you applied it to webisodes.
Old 01-11-13, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Deal with it!
Old 01-11-13, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
In this case, I think of the streaming as a delivery method rather than some revolutionary form of content. Interesting argument, though--say, if you applied it to webisodes.
Maybe we need something like "Online Content" to include original programming from Netflix, Ora (Larry King's show), Hulu, YouTube, etc. I also think the streaming forum is more about the delivery method than original content.
Old 01-12-13, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hey, everything starts somewhere. In the future, most things will be streaming, and "TV" will be treated like terrestrial radio is today. I think a subforum for "Original Programming" or something like that would be cool, but it really should be in Streaming Talk. Be a leader, not a follower.
Old 02-17-13, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
It's a TV show. Leave it in the TV Talk forum.
Good lord, this. They are tv shows, they belong in the TV forum.

In regards to Arrested Development why not 3-4 threads? Ep1-4, Ep. 5-9, Ep. 10-13.

Upsides:
- Just enough episodes to feel like people can comment without spoiling things for others

- just enough for people that want to keep up with the discussion without having to watch all of them in one sitting.

- Not flooding the forum with 13 threads

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.