Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

A suggestion for a new "streaming TV episodes" forum or sub-forum...

Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

A suggestion for a new "streaming TV episodes" forum or sub-forum...

Old 02-24-13, 04:48 PM
Banned by request

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: A suggestion for a new "streaming TV episodes" forum or sub-forum...

Here's the thing, about five of us have read this thread. If we make a separate sub forum, everyone who didn't read this thread will think "Arrested Development -> TV Show -> TV Talk" and then make a thread in there, and then people will berate them for not posting in whatever new forum or subforum was designated, then the mods have to close the thread, repeat ad infinitum.
Old 08-26-13, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just started watching Orange is the New Black. Naturally, the discussion threads for this completely original web program, solely available as a streaming feature from Netflix, are located in TV Talk. Seriously, what part of "streaming" and "TV" does this site not understand? Why even have a Streaming Talk if you're going to ignore streaming programming and lump it in with some other medium which it is not at all related to?

Furthermore, having a single thread for an entire series is completely retarded. I didn't get more than a few posts in before I saw mention of a remark about something in one of the last episodes. Now I can't discuss any events of any early episodes until I've seen the entire season, for fear of spoilers. And by the time you've finished, who's going to go back and discuss stuff from early on? No fun. No fun at all.

My vote is to put these threads where they logically belong, and have a thread for each episode. It's not like Streaming Talk couldn't use the action.
Old 08-26-13, 02:55 PM
Banned by request

I think you're hung up on a point of technical distribution. TV Talk is about content, not delivery. It doesn't matter if you're getting your content via an antenna, cable, satellite, or through the internet. It's delivery neutral.

Streaming Talk is about streaming technology and services. It's about how you're getting the stream and which streams to get. Similarly, discussions about the technology of televisions go in the Tech Talk or Home Theater Gear forum.

I see no reason why Netflix content or Amazon Prime content should be forced into the Streaming Talk forum.
Old 08-26-13, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
I think you're hung up on a point of technical distribution. TV Talk is about content, not delivery. It doesn't matter if you're getting your content via an antenna, cable, satellite, or through the internet. It's delivery neutral.
Sorry, that makes no sense. It's simply not TV. It will probably be on DVD before it's ever on TV, so why not put it in DVD Talk? Right, because it doesn't make any sense.
I see no reason why Netflix content or Amazon Prime content should be forced into the Streaming Talk forum.
What, you mean like the Amazon Prime Streaming Thread or the New and Noteworthy VOD (iTunes/Amazon/Vudu/etc) Titles Thread or the NetFlix "Watch Now / Watch Instantly" - Recommendations Thread, all of which are about streaming content? I guess all of those (and many others) should be moved to TV Talk, since they are about content, right? Better get on that, because the existence of those threads destroys your argument.

Like I said in an earlier post, one day streaming content will be massive, and this ass-backwards site will still be calling them "TV shows". Is that really the image DVDTalk wants to project to the world? If we had an Appliance Talk forum here, I guess you would put all the refrigerator threads in the "Antique Ice Box Talk" subforum.

Sometimes I really don't understand the resistance to adapt to new technology... especially on a site that should embrace such changes.
Old 08-26-13, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The point of the threads you cite is to discuss availability of titles, not discuss the content itself; those discussions remain in the appropriate forum.

Is it wrong to refer to streaming-original series as TV? Perhaps, but we're still fairly early in that process and a common nomenclature hasn't been established. IMDB refers to Orange Is the New Black as a "TV Series." Wikipedia talks about how the series was "aired" and lists Netflix as the "channel" it was "broadcast" on, which all sounds very much like they're describing a television show. It was produced by Lionsgate Television, not Lionsgate Streaming. Netflix's original series House of Cards was nominated for 9 Primetime Emmys by the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences, so not only have they been deemed television by that organization, but it was also somehow determined that they qualify as primetime.

To pretend that there is some big distinction between a Netflix series and a standard television series is somewhat disingenuous. The industry treats them as substantially the same, and the format of the content is substantially the same. I agree that the one thread per season system sucks, and that separate threads per episode would also suck by flooding the forum, but that's a separate issue from the terminology we use.
Old 08-26-13, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Numanoid View Post
Furthermore, having a single thread for an entire series is completely retarded.
Grow up.
Old 08-26-13, 06:47 PM
Banned by request

Numanoid, I'm not sure why you're being so aggressive about this, but surely it is possible to have this discussion without eye-rolling and "ass-backwards" comments.
Old 08-27-13, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

I agree that having full-season threads is not awesome because it's hard to avoid spoilers without being completely caught up. However, creating episodic threads is a lot of work for the people involved (mostly DJariya), and I've seen many of those threads garner one, two, or even zero responses. I think it makes total sense to pick one's battles and save the time and energy for creating episodic threads for only the most popular shows.
Old 08-27-13, 02:03 PM

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

We tried having episode threads (in batches of three) for House of Cards but other than the first and the last they didn't get a lot of traffic.

However, I'm not at all opposed to trying it again for another streaming series. Anybody who is interested is welcome to start the threads.
Old 08-27-13, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Could we please move HBO shows out of TV Talk? They're not TV, they're HBO.
Old 08-27-13, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
Could we please move HBO shows out of TV Talk? They're not TV, they're HBO.

I probably wouldn't have watched Orange is the New Black if I didn't see the thread about it in TV Talk. I don't really venture into Streaming Talk, and not enough shows that are streaming only to get me to venture in to it... yet. Although I do think with single forum threads about a series that people need to watch spoilers more carefully.