Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

How about a Streaming forum?

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-12, 05:19 PM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

Is there any chance we can get a forum to discuss Streaming?

Right now there are active Streaming threads in Movie Talk, Tech Talk, Store Forum, Hot Deals, DVD Reviews & Recommendations, DVD & Home Theater Gear, TV Talk and Anime Talk. It would be great to have all these discussions in the same forum. Gathering all the threads in one location would make the information much easier to find.

And I think streaming will become more popular in the future. Streaming options are built-in to most new TVs, DVD/Blu players, game consoles and mobile devices. Netflix is shifting their interests from DVD to streaming. And other companies like HBO, Comcast, Amazon, Apple, Verizon, etc are all making huge commitments to streaming. With more people being exposed to streaming, and more companies jumping onboard, it's only going to get bigger.

Maybe it's not ready for it's own dedicated forum, but a sub-forum would be nice. I'm not sure where you'd put it. Perhaps under one of the sections in the DVD Discussions section. And as a financial incentive, it would be a great place for Netflix, Hulu, Roku, etc advertisements or sponsorship.

Last edited by TheBigDave; 02-23-12 at 06:50 PM.
Old 02-23-12, 05:35 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: How about a Streaming forum?

I've flagged this with IB. If anyone else wants to chip in to add weight to the OP's request before a rep returns to view this thread...
Old 02-23-12, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I agree, it's becoming a much more popular medium in addition to cable, OTA etc. As some of you know, Netflix and Hulu are starting to branch out into original programming and they have some new shows coming out later this year. Plus, the new season of Arrested Development will be coming out in 2013 on Netflix.

IMO, it might be a good subforum in TV Talk. That way it keeps TV Talk discussions more on current OTA and Cable shows. There are people in TV Talk who like to bring up older/cancelled shows they saw on Netflix or Hulu and their threads usually don't get much discussion because of current programming that is more topical.

Also, the subforum could be a good reference tool for those looking for what's new in the streaming world.

Dave made some good points, IB's sales department could definitely use the Streaming subforum to approach Netflix, Hulu or Roku for possible advertising opportunities.
Old 02-24-12, 08:37 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

I think a streaming forum is a great idea. I, too, have noticed all the threads in the various locations, and wouldn't mind seeing them consolidated to one forum. My only disagreement with DJariya is that I don't think it should be a TV Talk sub-forum. Although TV-type content may be what is discussed the most, I think "streaming" is too broad of a topic to put there (especially more and more over time). I think it should be a main forum in the "Entertainment" section with a description like, "A place to discuss streaming options and content for all forms of Entertainment."

I'm happy with whatever happens, but that's my personal preference.
Old 02-24-12, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Would we also have threads for audio streaming? like rhapsody or pandora? I will say I like the idea of the streaming threads being in their own place. That would be much easier than hunting all the other areas.
Old 02-24-12, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Here are two examples of streaming threads which support TheBigDave's suggestion.

Amazon Instant Video - Non Prime Rental Deals

Amazon Instant Video - Non Prime Free Purchase Full Episodes
Old 02-24-12, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Great idea...between Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Vudu, and literally hundreds of Roku channels, it would be great to have a forum so I don't spend hours just surfing through new releases and not actually watching anything.
Old 02-24-12, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

I've wondered about this myself
Old 02-24-12, 05:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Please PM me when you have consensus on what you'd like, where you want it, and I'll make it happen.

FWIW, I think it's a great idea.

Paul
Old 02-24-12, 06:21 PM

I think this subject is big enough for it's own forum. With discussions on hardware, tech support, comparing services, movie recommendations, audio streaming, industry news, bargains, etc. It covers a broad range of topics. And I can't think of anywhere it really fits as a sub-forum.

As suggested by SomethingMore, the Entertainment Discussions section would probably be the best location. Another good location might be the DVD Discussions section. I think it fits in well with those topics.
Old 02-24-12, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Ditto

I'm game for Streaming as an Entertainment forum.
Old 02-24-12, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by b2net
Would we also have threads for audio streaming? like rhapsody or pandora?
I think it should cover all streaming topics, including audio. Especially since the same hardware that streams movies/TV also offers streaming music services like Rhapsody, Pandora and Spotify. And many of the movie services have streaming concerts, artist documentaries and music videos. So I think it would fit the forum perfectly.

Personally, I don't listen to much music. But I often stream my favorite audio podcasts on the AppleTV and Roku.
Old 02-24-12, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'd love to see a streaming forum, especially one that lists amazon streaming deals. i.e. full season tv at a discount or movies on sale.
Old 02-25-12, 06:34 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Agree that it'd be great as a full forum under Entertainment. Great idea BG.
Old 02-25-12, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the idea, but I don't think it should be under Entertainment. Streaming is a format, not a medium. What's the difference if someone watches a TV show on Netflix and wants to talk about it vs. watching it on cable or whatever?

As crazy as it sounds, I think a Streaming forum should be under DVD. If that's too weird, then a subforum under Tech perhaps?
Old 02-25-12, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk God

IMO, it needs to be under Entertainment as some here have already mentioned. You need to put it in a place where it will get the most views and best chances for people to want to interact in.

I do see some potential for redundancy with TV Talk. As I mentioned earlier, there is some programming premiering on Netflix like House of Cards this Fall and Arrested Development in 2013. Since they are "Streaming Only" shows, ideally the place to talk about them would be in "Streaming Talk." However, I can see people ignoring that and posting a thread about it in TV Talk.

Last edited by DJariya; 02-25-12 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-25-12, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
What's the difference if someone watches a TV show on Netflix and wants to talk about it vs. watching it on cable or whatever?
I think part of the appeal for me to have a "Streaming Talk" forum is to help keep "TV Talk" more topical to what's currently on air. Obviously, topics are still fair game though. If something isn't available on streaming and they saw a repeat on FX or TNT, then by all means talk about it in TV Talk.

I mean if someone wants to talk about Star Trek Deep Space Nine or one of the earlier seasons of 30 Rock, which they just got into via Netflix, that would be the ideal place for them. If there is 5-6 hours of new shows airing on cable/OTA on any given night, his/her topic about something that they saw via streaming will at least have a way to get seen and not get igonored.

The topic itself is pretty broad though since people will be recommending movies, stuff on HBOGo or Showtime Anytime.

Last edited by DJariya; 02-25-12 at 12:40 PM.
Old 02-25-12, 01:58 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Even though I don't do streaming, with streaming seemingly gaining in popularity I think having a centralized location for all things streaming would be a pretty good idea. Another vote for a separate forum in Entertainment Discussions since streaming could include more than just television. -kd5-
Old 02-25-12, 02:15 PM

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,121 Posts

I could see this being a good thing for people who surf DVDTalk by forum.

For me, I click the "New Posts" link at sift through whatever is new for the first five pages (beyond that, I just "let it go" because I can't spend my life on DVDTalk and if it's a great topic, it will rise to the top soon enough). So for me, it won't mean much change.

That said, if there's a way to filter the "New Posts" link to include just the forums I want (DVDs, BDs, Streaming, Video Games, Otter) and not the stuff I don't want to get into (Sports, Politics), I'd really dig that!
Old 02-26-12, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
I like the idea, but I don't think it should be under Entertainment. Streaming is a format, not a medium. What's the difference if someone watches a TV show on Netflix and wants to talk about it vs. watching it on cable or whatever?

As crazy as it sounds, I think a Streaming forum should be under DVD. If that's too weird, then a subforum under Tech perhaps?
Agreed -- I expect it'd be more like discussing the latest season set of Chuck than discussing Chuck itself.
Old 02-27-12, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

If I were going to discuss a TV show or TV season, I think I'd still go to TV Talk first. Maybe a lot of people there wouldn't be watching it at the same time, but chances are people would have seen it earlier and be eager to chime in, and they'd be more likely to see it there.

Streaming Talk would seem like a great destination for:

What are current specials on various services?
What movies/shows have been recently added/subtracted (especially to free services)?
What would be the best hardware/service option if I like _______?
Old 02-27-12, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by davidh777
If I were going to discuss a TV show or TV season, I think I'd still go to TV Talk first. Maybe a lot of people there wouldn't be watching it at the same time, but chances are people would have seen it earlier and be eager to chime in, and they'd be more likely to see it there.

Streaming Talk would seem like a great destination for:

What are current specials on various services?
What movies/shows have been recently added/subtracted (especially to free services)?
What would be the best hardware/service option if I like _______?
Good points.
Old 02-28-12, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by IBobi
Please PM me when you have consensus on what you'd like, where you want it, and I'll make it happen.
I think we have a consensus that it's a good idea, and it deserves it's own full forum.

There seems to be differing opinions on which section it should go under (Entertainment or DVD). I think people have made a good case for either location.

Should we set-up a poll or take a vote?
Old 02-28-12, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I vote Entertainment. The DVD forums seem more suited for tangible media.
Old 02-28-12, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another vote for Entertainment

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.