Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

"Find More Posts By..." error

Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Old 05-21-10, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Recently, and intermittently, when I've clicked on my own username and selected "Find More Posts by Numanoid" (it's how I check the threads I've posted to), I've received the error screen stating "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."

Don't know why this has been happening. Any clues?
Old 05-22-10, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: "Find More Posts By..." error

I couldn't say for sure (actually much at all, I'm strictly guessing) but it would probably indicate some sort of database glitch. Possibly too many connections, but I really don't know. IB-Dick could probably look into it on Monday..
Old 05-22-10, 11:29 AM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts

I've always had problems with that during the day on weekdays. I thought I remembered something about that being limited during those times back when Geoff had put up some limitations on searching when the database was so slow. I could be dreaming all of that, though.
Old 05-24-10, 02:54 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the same self-search tactic and have not as yet experienced the database error. That said, I tend to post at different times to many here.
Old 05-24-10, 06:34 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

I'm always interested in hearing info in threads like this on how people use this forum. I think a lot of people assume that everyone does things the same way that they do.

For years, I did everything here through email notifications only. I subscribe to the forums I like, get daily emails of all new threads, and then subscribe to the threads I'm interested in.

I never browsed the forum or even looked at the main forum pages pretty much. I just used emails to go to the specific threads that interested me. I had no idea what the 'new posts' button was, and never would have thought to do what this thread suggests.

Lately, I've been changing up and hanging out on the forum pages, and have been playing with the new posts button. But to be honest, I'll probably end up going back to email only.
Old 05-24-10, 03:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Recently, and intermittently, when I've clicked on my own username and selected "Find More Posts by Numanoid" (it's how I check the threads I've posted to), I've received the error screen stating "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."

Don't know why this has been happening. Any clues?
This problem appears to be isolated to Numanoid's account. I just now tried "Find More Posts" for everyone who's posted so far in this thread, and only Numanoid's came back as "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms." Everyone else's properly displayed the list of posts.

PS: I've seen that there is a limitation of a 20-second wait between searches by one user enabled here. But it tells you if you just haven't waited long enough, it doesn't claim "no matches"; and if you have waited long enough, you should always get the appropriate results.

Last edited by Gatherer; 06-01-10 at 09:32 AM. Reason: enable sig
Old 05-24-10, 03:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Curiouser and curiouser...

Going to Numanoid's profile at forum.dvdtalk.com/members/numanoid.html , clicking on the Statistics tab, and then clicking on "Find all posts by Numanoid" ( forum.dvdtalk.com/search.php?do=finduser&u=29623 ), does work.

Going to Advanced Search at forum.dvdtalk.com/search.php , and searching by username for Numanoid, both by posts and by threads, does work.

So it's only the "Find More Posts" in the username context menu that isn't working, and only on Numanoid's account.

Last edited by Gatherer; 06-01-10 at 09:32 AM. Reason: enable sig
Old 05-24-10, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I blame Groucho!