Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Search engine still not working

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-09, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I was trying to find an old thread in movie talk just now and it wouldn't work. I know there was a thread for it (Slumdog Millionaire) So i typed in Slumdog Millionaire, Danny Boyle, and it still wouldn't show up! This has been a problem for quite some time now. I remember the old search engine worked fine. Is this search engine problem ever going to be fixed?
Old 05-14-09, 04:28 PM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts
Re: Search engine still not working

Is this the one you were looking for? Search worked fine for me. Do you do the 'advanced search'?

Slumdog Millionaire (Boyle, 2008)
Old 05-14-09, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow
Is this the one you were looking for? Search worked fine for me. Do you do the 'advanced search'?

Slumdog Millionaire (Boyle, 2008)
I actually did find it and posted in the thread. I misspelled millionaire. But putting in Danny Boyle should've been enough. Used advanced search with only thread title.
Old 05-15-09, 02:53 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My personal view is that there is an art to searching, regardless of the engine utilised. Although some are very forgiving and may allow an element of "fuzzy matching", I don't think the one used here is anywhere near that sophisticated. That said, I believe some people have recommended the google variant.

Regularly I hear folk say they can't find this or that - whether it be here, colleagues at work or relatives struggling with the interwebs.

I've come to realise that my puzzlement at their plight is down to my own lucky ability quickly to devise effective searching strategies e.g. I always use "advanced search" here and, in this case, I would only have searched for "Slumdog" - or maybe "Slum*" - and utilised the "title search" option. If that hadn't worked I'd've probably tried Boyle and "search entire posts". But, when I tested it, the first option did the job.

What is my point?

At times our search engine - or the database - has been less than optimal. However, there are strategies for an effective search and (some of) these have been discussed in earlier threads on the topic in this forum.

Finally, without wishing to be a total arse, I am minded of the old saw that states:
"a bad workman blames his tools"
Old 05-15-09, 07:56 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

^ Agree.

The search tools here are a bit clunky and needlessly varied. There are just too many search buttons and different ways to search.

I also always only search in one way, by using "advanced search" and searching titles only. Rarely do I have to resort to searching inside posts, but perhaps that is because I spend so much time on the forum and can figure out the possible titles almost all the time.
Old 05-15-09, 10:29 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Received 116 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by benedict
Finally, without wishing to be a total arse, I am minded of the old saw that states:
"a bad workman blames his tools"
In other words, if you know where it is, it is easier to find it
Old 05-25-09, 07:58 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope the search engine problems get ironed out too.
Old 05-27-09, 03:37 AM
Mod Emeritus

Lemmy, it is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.

If you have something constructive to add, please go ahead and post it.
Old 07-07-09, 01:52 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Still having problems with the search engine. Sigh.
Old 07-08-09, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The last three searches I've done returned results from the 2002-2003 (and earlier) range only. Nothing newer.
Old 07-08-09, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Every single time I search for something it says no results found.

Ugh.
Old 07-08-09, 04:50 PM
Internet Brands

Originally Posted by Chew
The last three searches I've done returned results from the 2002-2003 (and earlier) range only. Nothing newer.
It looks like our index is having an issue. I'll have it rebuilt.

For the next couple of hours, search is going to really stink. After then, it should be back to normal.
Old 07-08-09, 10:26 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by IB-Dick
It looks like our index is having an issue. I'll have it rebuilt.

For the next couple of hours, search is going to really stink. After then, it should be back to normal.
back to sucking normal? or back to actually finding things normal?
Old 07-09-09, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 07-12-09, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 451 Likes on 309 Posts

Can't find anything from the past 3 years with search. So worthless.
Old 07-14-09, 07:50 AM
Banned

The search engine is only giving back results from 2006 and later. No results from 2007, 2008 or 2009.
Old 07-14-09, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Why is this search engine such a piece of shit?

I like going back and checking out old threads on episodes of TV shows that I go through as I watch them. Doing this with Prison Break (S4) is just a pain in the fuckin' ass.

Doing an advanced search for thread titles only in the TV forum yields...

Prison Break - threads from season 3 and lower.
Prison - threads from season 3 and lower.
Break - the correct threads.

I just watched The Fist Foot Way, and I can't find any fucking thread for that. I've tried "Fist", "Foot", "Fist Foot", "Fist Foot Way", "McBride"...nothing. I just gave up.
Old 07-14-09, 02:25 PM
Internet Brands

We're aware of the ongoing issues with search, and we are working on a solution. At some point, forums get so large that the built in vB search option stop working. This site was getting to that point, so a little while back we implemented a new search engine. This is something that we custom built and have been working on for a couple of months. Two things it does well: it gives more relevant results, very quickly, with little overhead. The main issue: it breaks. In a way, it works too well and the index ends up becoming corrupt because the parts are moving too fast. Making the search index more stable is a top priority for us.

We have re-indexed the search and results should be back to normal (actually finding things normal), at least for the time being.
Old 07-17-09, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by IB-Dick
We have re-indexed the search and results should be back to normal (actually finding things normal), at least for the time being.
Yup, with some quick, cursory testing, it appears to be returning proper results now. Thanks. Hopefully it will stay that way.
Old 07-17-09, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

My suggestion for those who can't find stuff:

Look for the most relevant word. Search title only. Add date / post modifiers if necessary.

If that doesn't work, go to google and do a search there appending site:forum.dvdtalk.com to the end.
Old 07-20-09, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, it's broken and useless again. No results past 2006. I wonder why that's the magic number.

Edit: Actually, it's worse, returning no results for some stuff.

Originally Posted by The Bus
My suggestion for those who can't find stuff:

Look for the most relevant word. Search title only. Add date / post modifiers if necessary.
That's not the problem, the problem is the index is broken.

Originally Posted by The Bus
If that doesn't work, go to google and do a search there appending site:forum.dvdtalk.com to the end.
It's not the same. First of all, you can't narrow the results by forum, and secondly, the results are ordered by "relevance", whereas for a forum, it's most useful to have them sorted by date of post.

Last edited by TheBang; 07-20-09 at 07:22 AM. Reason: worse
Old 07-20-09, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd B.
Well, it's broken and useless again. No results past 2006. I wonder why that's the magic number.
Not across the board.

When I search for "Pixar", I get results from as recently as twenty minutes ago. Ditto for "Watchmen" and "Coraline".

What are you searching for, exactly?
Old 07-20-09, 09:00 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Not across the board.
[....]
What are you searching for, exactly?
Like yours, my experience, today, is that a search shows up items less than an hour old.

Methinks that asking for the item being searched for - apparently in vain - should greatly assist in determining whether it is the index this time or the manner of searching.

IIRC, in years gone by, almost every time someone had a search problem that was at odds with the experience of other DVDTalkers we found that it was the manner of the search that was skewing the results. Sometimes the searcher unwittingly had an option checked that narrowed the search to the extent that it was rendered actually or virtually useless. I'm quite happy for this to be the exception that tests the rule but I think that each and every time there is a report of a broken search tool the poster needs to state precisely how/what they've searched.

(And to bear in mind IB-Dick's recent explanation/update, of course).
Old 07-20-09, 11:41 AM
Internet Brands

Originally Posted by benedict
Like yours, my experience, today, is that a search shows up items less than an hour old.

Methinks that asking for the item being searched for - apparently in vain - should greatly assist in determining whether it is the index this time or the manner of searching.

IIRC, in years gone by, almost every time someone had a search problem that was at odds with the experience of other DVDTalkers we found that it was the manner of the search that was skewing the results. Sometimes the searcher unwittingly had an option checked that narrowed the search to the extent that it was rendered actually or virtually useless. I'm quite happy for this to be the exception that tests the rule but I think that each and every time there is a report of a broken search tool the poster needs to state precisely how/what they've searched.

(And to bear in mind IB-Dick's recent explanation/update, of course).
We're exploring solutions to the index corruption issues and we're trying various methods to fix this. We're using other sites for the testing, so until we get a solid work around, it'll be a little touch and go. Anytime you notice glaring problems, like this, please let us know what specific search terms aren't working so we can verify the corruption and we'll get the site re-indexed.

We appreciate your patience.
Old 07-27-09, 08:44 PM
Banned

There are a lost of words that the search function is not recognizing. I searched for superman and it didn't find anything, even though there are a lot of thread titles that have the word superman. The search function is getting worse and worse.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.