Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

DVDSpot Users.... Where ya at?

Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.
View Poll Results: What's your DVDSpot Position
I had a DVDSpot account, and WOULD use the service here if DVDTalk offered it.
54.17%
I didn't have a DVDSpot account and WOULD use the service here if DVDTalk offered it.
18.06%
I had a DVDSpot account, and WOULDN'T use the service here if DVDTalk offered it.
8.33%
I didn't have a DVDSpot account, and WOULDN'T use the service here if DVDTalk offered it.
9.72%
I have an account at another site like DVDSpot and WOULD use the service here if DVDTalk offered it.
9.72%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-08-09, 06:16 PM
Internet Brands

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As previously mentioned, we've batted around the idea of building a service like DVDSpot here at DVDTalk. I'm interested in some info...

How many people here had a DVDSpot account?

How many people who had one would use the service if we had one here?

Now many people didn't have a DVDSpot account, but would use the service if we had one here?
Old 01-08-09, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: DVDSpot Users.... Where ya at?

Do not have one but would probably give it a try.
Old 01-08-09, 06:28 PM
Internet Brands

Originally Posted by auto
Do not have one but would probably give it a try.
Sorry, I didn't have the poll up yet... can you vote plz? Someone came by my desk when I was writing it.
Old 01-08-09, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ONLY used DVDSpot. IMO, it was the best DVD cataloging system on the net. Great features and look. The user submission/edit system was awesome.

I would LOVE if DVDTalk would create a system like that. I'm sure that would also increase premium membership as well.
Old 01-08-09, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

One feature that you could add:

Link buttons attached to DVD/BD reviews for "Wishlist" and "Owned".
Old 01-08-09, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 366 Likes on 231 Posts

I chose would use the DVD Talk service but that would of course depend on how it was set up, etc.
Old 01-09-09, 05:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I had a Spot account and would definitely give something set up by DVD Talk a try.
Old 01-09-09, 07:11 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

I've tried a lot of options, and DVDSpot was my favorite by far.

If you implemented a similar service I'd gladly renew premium each year. You're probably already thinking that, but seems to me a good pay to offset the cost, increase premium subscriptions, and drive traffic to the site.

DVDSpot had the potential to be the premier DVD cataloging site, and combined with DVDTalk, you could rule the world.

Could CNET be interested in selling the code/database/whatever?
Old 01-09-09, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by IB-Dick
Sorry, I didn't have the poll up yet... can you vote plz? Someone came by my desk when I was writing it.
You got it...when they came by your desk did you hit the Panic button?
Old 01-09-09, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Because the title of the thread is, "DVDSpot Users.... Where ya at?" you will be attracting a disproportionate amount of DVDSpot users compared to DVDTalk members... Therefore, this poll option will be very deflated and way off target:

I didn't have a DVDSpot account, and WOULDN'T use the service here if DVDTalk offered it.

That's how I voted.
Old 01-09-09, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by DarthVong
I ONLY used DVDSpot. IMO, it was the best DVD cataloging system on the net. Great features and look. The user submission/edit system was awesome.

I would LOVE if DVDTalk would create a system like that. I'm sure that would also increase premium membership as well.
Agreed on all points.

And if we're throwing out suggestions, I hope there's something similar to DVDSpot's feature of showing what you have lent out. Since I have a big DVD collection, I lend stuff out to family and friends all of the time and it can get confusing tracking them all (my system now: a piece of paper). Damn moochers.

I have yet to even try out any of the sites listed in the DVDSpot thread. Right now I just have my exported DVDSpot spreadsheet and a scrap of paper where I jot down what titles I've bought since they closed up shop.

Last edited by DJLinus; 01-09-09 at 08:53 AM.
Old 01-09-09, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Can anyone summarize what exactly DVDSpot's service consisted of? I don't know if I'd use a similar service if DVDTalk had one because I have no idea what it is.
Old 01-09-09, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I used DVD Profiler and DVD Af. Currently, I only update DVD Af. I've been using it for eight years. I learned my lesson with Guzzlefish. I'm not signing up for new services.

That said, I would use DVD Talk's.

jdodd: Look at www.dvdaf.com
Old 01-09-09, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You (IB-Dick) haven't specified whether there will be a cost or not. Are you thinking of offering this for free with the plan to make money through referral links and additional advertising, or is this going to be a premium-only feature? I suspect that will influence the answers. It's easy for people to say "sure, I'd use it!" but that might change if it requires a $20 automatically-renewing annual subscription for premium membership, especially when the established DVD Profiler is only $30 for life.
Old 01-09-09, 12:19 PM
Internet Brands

Originally Posted by auto
You got it...when they came by your desk did you hit the Panic button?
Of course, but it just sent me to the DVDTalk frontpage (so it looks like I'm working)

Originally Posted by bwvanh114
Because the title of the thread is, "DVDSpot Users.... Where ya at?" you will be attracting a disproportionate amount of DVDSpot users compared to DVDTalk members... Therefore, this poll option will be very deflated and way off target:

That's how I voted.
It's not the % that we care about, it's the total number of people who would use it. Sure the data will be skewed, but not it a way that'll matter.

Originally Posted by Walker Boh
You (IB-Dick) haven't specified whether there will be a cost or not. Are you thinking of offering this for free with the plan to make money through referral links and additional advertising, or is this going to be a premium-only feature? I suspect that will influence the answers. It's easy for people to say "sure, I'd use it!" but that might change if it requires a $20 automatically-renewing annual subscription for premium membership, especially when the established DVD Profiler is only $30 for life.
Correct, and that's because we're trying to get basic numbers so that we gauge that.

Variable x: the cost to develop it.
Variable y: the number of people who will use it.

If we know those, we'll be able to figure out what the required return would be to warrant devoting resources to the project. If that means that we'd have to have a pricepoint that's unrealistically high, then we would have to scrap the thing.
Old 01-09-09, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Now THAT would be a real premium feature. Avatars and that other stuff are pretty silly IMO, but this actually seems fairly useful. I might actually get a premium account if DVDTalk offered more things like that.
Old 01-09-09, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can I request that it be extensible to more than movies? I'd like a video game / music cataloging system as well. I'm sure others would like books and comics, etc.

Since I'd think you'd leave the individual item entry creation up to the users and merely maintain the system yourselves, it wouldn't make much difference to you.
Old 01-09-09, 01:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jdodd
Can anyone summarize what exactly DVDSpot's service consisted of? I don't know if I'd use a similar service if DVDTalk had one because I have no idea what it is.
Thanks for this; I, too, have no idea what this DVDSpot site did/does. Although, I'm guessing it is a cataloging site for DVD collections...and I probably wouldn't use it. I mean, why would someone want to share what they have in their DVD collection with unlimited online users? I just don't understand it. But I'm open to explanations...anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
Old 01-09-09, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Ace Of Spades
I mean, why would someone want to share what they have in their DVD collection with unlimited online users? I just don't understand it. But I'm open to explanations...anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
It's more for me, really. I also occasionally send out a link when I ask people if they want to see a specific movie. "Here, look at my list" etc.
Old 01-09-09, 02:24 PM
Internet Brands

Originally Posted by UncleGramps
Now THAT would be a real premium feature. Avatars and that other stuff are pretty silly IMO, but this actually seems fairly useful. I might actually get a premium account if DVDTalk offered more things like that.
Thanks, this is the feedback we need. This thread is really a way to aggregate these kinds of comments and try to put a number on the project.

Originally Posted by pinata242
Can I request that it be extensible to more than movies? I'd like a video game / music cataloging system as well. I'm sure others would like books and comics, etc.

Since I'd think you'd leave the individual item entry creation up to the users and merely maintain the system yourselves, it wouldn't make much difference to you.
That wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility.

Thanks for this; I, too, have no idea what this DVDSpot site did/does. Although, I'm guessing it is a cataloging site for DVD collections...and I probably wouldn't use it. I mean, why would someone want to share what they have in their DVD collection with unlimited online users? I just don't understand it. But I'm open to explanations...anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
You're correct, it's a way of keeping a publicly available list of the dvd's you own. I can't speculate on every reason why people would want to use the service, but I'd venture an assumption that it helps a lot in the trade threads.

With DVDSpot, were you able to mark DVD's you own as "Willing to trade" of something like that?
Old 01-09-09, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
Could CNET be interested in selling the code/database/whatever?
Would be great if they did but I wouldn't bet on it. A few people attempted to explore that idea both directly with CNet/CBS and/or Croy at the time of the demise but don't believe anyone got anywhere. Croy even stated he would go to bat for that and help put people in contact with the appropriate people but never followed through as far as I know. Might be different going from company to company though.

I might be interested but it would solely depend on the amount of information for each title, the layout and interface, the cost and, extremely important to me, a complete import option that would be able to recreate as much information as possible from a saved DVDSpot export such as purchase/watch dates, purchase places, purchase prices, custom field info, ability to import ones filters/ratings/reviews. Without that ability to import all of that info, my interest in attempting to recreate all of that is extremely limited (spent enough time doing it the first time to start from the beginning again).
Old 01-09-09, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My primary reason for using it was that I like to keep track of what I watched and when, especially for TV-on-DVD sets. It provided an easy method of doing that.
Old 01-09-09, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bwvanh114
I think we're all aware this isn't exactly Zogby.
Old 01-09-09, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Goldblum
I think we're all aware this isn't exactly Zogby.
I'm disillusioned.
Old 01-09-09, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,433 Likes on 913 Posts

I used DVDSpot for a few months before they died. I've been a member of DVDAf for years.

I'd use it if it were part of the premium package. But it would need to have a powerful import engine. I would not join DVDAf today, because now they expect me to enter titles one at a time.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.