DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Forum Feedback and Support (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support-4/)
-   -   Report to Moderator button not work? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support/539373-report-moderator-button-not-work.html)

The Antipodean 09-09-08 11:00 PM

Report to Moderator button not work?

So does the "Report to Moderator" button not work anymore? Not to be an arse, but there's a member who is repeatedly a real jackass to other members, constantly belittling their opinions and cussing them out, and I've used RTM on him a couple of times over the past few weeks when I've seen him blast people and never even seen a warning about his behaviour. Used to be on this site that kind of harassment of other members wasn't tolerated at all? Am I just gettin' all sensitive in my old age or what?

I won't name the member here but just wondering if the standards of good conduct here have changed. One of the things I have always liked about this site is that the general standard of talk is somewhat better than other movie sites. Hate to see that change into another site where trolls and yahoos run roughshod over everyone else.

The Antipodean 09-09-08 11:01 PM

Oh, it's not Groucho.

Well, yes it is. ;)

Rockmjd23 09-09-08 11:05 PM

I'm pretty sure I know who you mean and I've also reported a post of theirs flat out calling another member an idiot and no response.

The Cow 09-09-08 11:09 PM

"RT" perhaps?

fumanstan 09-09-08 11:49 PM

I reported the same a couple days ago, probably about the same person. I just assume the mods are busy.

NoirFan 09-10-08 12:57 AM

I was about to report on the same member myself!

benedict 09-10-08 02:37 AM

My experience is that the "Report This Post" message goes to the moderators of the forum in which the post originates. I'm always being contacted about the sparring in Book and International, to say nothing of Music ;)

Seriously, though, if you are talking about a particular forum, e.g. Movie Talk, you'd need to specify so we can see whether there is a problem with messages getting through or if the relevant mods are on hiatus.

Rockmjd23 09-10-08 07:08 AM

This particular situation is the movie forum.

Shannon Nutt 09-10-08 07:37 AM

Yeah, this guy is beyond the pale for what we should have to put up with around here. Not only does he insult other posters, most of his comments would be considered "crude" even over on X Critic. :)

Ace Of Spades 09-10-08 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 8929475)
Yeah, this guy is beyond the pale for what we should have to put up with around here. Not only does he insult other posters, most of his comments would be considered "crude" even over on X Critic. :)

Who is this guy?!? I haven't noticed anything like the posts described....but then again, I have less than 10 posts here (although I've lurked here nearly daily since 2000).

Cardsfan111 09-10-08 08:13 AM

I just did a quick check and would agree with all the other posters here. This guy goes over the line....over and over and over again.

Rockmjd23 09-10-08 08:23 AM

He just called Groucho a dumb pygmy rotfl

Cardsfan111 09-10-08 08:29 AM

^ And told a mod to shut up. I would think we'll be seeing some action soon.

benedict 09-10-08 09:34 AM

To be fair, Wenders wasn't posting as a mod but, for sustained snarkiness to a variety of members above and beyond the call of duty, our friend RT wins a several week long (TBA) posting holiday!

Thanks to all for flagging this up here rather than becoming involved in flame wars within threads. And, remembering that I'm in a markedly different timezone to most of you, feel free to PM/email me directly if something like this occurs again.

PS) We're looking into whether there is any kind of a glitch in Movie Talk.

wendersfan 09-10-08 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by cardsfan111 (Post 8929590)
^ And told a mod to shut up. I would think we'll be seeing some action soon.

To reiterate, as far as Movie Talk goes, I'm just a humble member like everyone else. Although it's worth noting that his response to me was milder than normal. ;)

wendersfan 09-10-08 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by wendersfan (Post 8929778)
To reiterate, as far as Movie Talk goes, I'm just a humble member like everyone else.

But not anymore. As of today I'll be helping out in <b>Movie Talk</b>, so hopefully some of these sorts of issues can get resolved more quickly.

The Cow 09-10-08 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by wendersfan (Post 8930128)
But not anymore. As of today I'll be helping out in <b>Movie Talk</b>, so hopefully some of these sorts of issues can get resolved more quickly.

I'm not sure if it's a promotion or a demotion -wink-

So I'll just give a congrats on the motion :)

(thanks for helping out)

Dr Mabuse 09-10-08 12:52 PM

Man that guy had a HELL of a run doing that crap.

That was interesting seeing all that, and how long it went on.

Somehow I had missed his sparkling personality.

NoirFan 09-10-08 05:27 PM

He really should have been banned. A while ago.

The Antipodean 09-10-08 07:55 PM

I don't get it, Groucho hasn't been suspended at all....

Trevor 08-14-09 11:55 AM

Re: Report to Moderator button not work?

It seems like the button doesn't work very well, or perhaps the rules here have changed.

I've used it a few times to report posts advocating outright fraud, but the offending post is never changed, the user never warned in that thread, or no other visible action taken.

Is it possible to get some sort of feedback when using that button?

How does it come thru to you mods? It is just an email with a link to the thread and our message? Is our forum name or email address in the message you mods get? Can you use that to let us know you've received our report? Maybe even give us feedback?

If I'm wasting my time by reporting things that you don't want to be bothered with I'd like to know. But either way, some sort of acknowledgment or return receipt would be nice.

OldBoy 08-16-09 12:45 AM

Kramer: "What don't you just tell me the name of the rabid offender you are talking about?"

My Other Self 08-16-09 03:15 AM

Being a moderator at other message boards, the way other sites that use this style BB have it so where the mods of that particular forum get e-mailed when there's a reported post. The reported post is in then in the e-mail along with the person who reported it's complaint.

I don't know if that's how it works here but I know it's not some instant thing so it can take a little bit for follow up.

bwvanh114 08-16-09 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by scott1598 (Post 9647336)
Kramer: "What don't you just tell me the name of the rabid offender you are talking about?"

You've selected ... Agent Zero? If that's correct, press one.

crazyronin 08-16-09 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Lemmy (Post 9645994)
How about a, umm, link to the thread in question? I'd be interested in reading it, actually. Just curious, etc.

If there were only some hint in this thread as to a useful search term...