DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Forum Feedback and Support (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support-4/)
-   -   What's the consensus on gun threads? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support/538491-whats-consensus-gun-threads.html)

Tracer Bullet 08-26-08 02:25 PM

What's the consensus on gun threads?

Now that the site is owned by someone that isn't Geoff, are gun-related threads allowed?

Goldblum 08-26-08 02:38 PM

I don't see why not. Out of curiosity, what thread would you like to start?

Tracer Bullet 08-26-08 02:49 PM

I'm looking to get some information on shooting ranges.

X 08-26-08 04:06 PM

Shooting range questions are fine. But how long will it take to turn into a gun discussion? We still don't want those right now.

spainlinx0 08-26-08 04:09 PM

Well, what's the ruling on gun discussions? New owners. Why not new rules regarding topics?

X 08-26-08 05:00 PM

I just relayed the ruling. We discussed it and we're leaving the current no gun discussion policy in place.

10-7 08-26-08 05:29 PM

Is there any reason the forum rules can’t be changed to clearly state that no gun discussions of any kind are allowed? No offense to IB, X, or anyone else in power here, but it doesn’t really do any good, and only causes confusion, when the rules are arbitrary.

This is a good example. The discussion Tracer Bullet wants to have would be within (written) forum rules, IMHO, even if the discussion did turn to firearms.

ABSOLUTELY NO:
• Posting links or information about where to purchase or sell drugs, guns or ammunition
I know I haven't been around long compared to many here, so I likely don't know the background of the rules, but I find it strange that the "no gun discussions" rule has never been made official by putting it in The Forum Rules.

X 08-26-08 05:31 PM

Good point. I'll see what can be done in that regard. The rules do need a bit of updating.

matta 08-26-08 08:34 PM

Without Geoff, how are the rules made or changed? Is it left up to admins or does IB have a say?

Lemdog 08-26-08 09:35 PM

It can't be an IB rule. Hell, they own a hunting forum where guns are discussed at length.

HuntingNet.com

Rockmjd23 08-26-08 09:36 PM

Lame.

matta 08-26-08 09:51 PM

I propose a new rule that gun threads are allowed on DVDTalk.

All Members of the DVDTalk Senate please vote.

Originally Posted by matta (Post 8898341)
I propose a new rule that gun threads are allowed on DVDTalk.

All Members of the DVDTalk Senate please vote.

Yeah.

Motion passes with 100% of the vote.

Will the President of Otter please make a determination as to whether to sign the bill into law.

Originally Posted by matta (Post 8898346)
Will the President of Otter please make a determination as to whether to sign the bill into law.

The president vetos the bill.

The president has vetoed the bill. All members of the Otter Senate now please vote on an override.

Originally Posted by matta (Post 8898351)
The president has vetoed the bill. All members of the Otter Senate now please vote on an override.

I vote to override.

The motion passes with 100% of the vote. The presidential veto is overridden.

As President, I therefore must sign this law and enforce it.

There you have it. The forum rules have been officially changed to allow Gun Threads. Go for it.

Seantn 08-26-08 10:59 PM

Now I see why you have over 15,000 posts on DVDtalk!

big whoppa 08-27-08 03:39 AM

matta=sybil

Tracer Bullet 08-27-08 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by X (Post 8897621)
Shooting range questions are fine. But how long will it take to turn into a gun discussion? We still don't want those right now.

Okay, I'll guess I'll start my thread, then. If it gets locked, so be it.

spainlinx0 08-27-08 08:21 AM

I still do not understand the rationale behind not allowing gun threads. Especially in light of IB owning a hunting site.

benedict 08-27-08 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Seantn (Post 8898457)
Now I see why you have over 15,000 posts on DVDtalk!

Got to love the new software's "merge posts" function ;)

matta 08-27-08 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by benedict (Post 8898827)

Actually, that does make it look better and I can now reference a single post regarding the newly passed rule.

Padding is so 2002.

nemein 08-27-08 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by benedict (Post 8898827)

I've found in some situations the tried and true "delete" function works better though -ptth-

spainlinx0 08-27-08 11:09 AM

So, why aren't gun threads allowed if Geoff no longer runs the board?

X 08-27-08 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 (Post 8899226)
So, why aren't gun threads allowed if Geoff no longer runs the board?

Because, as much as possible, we want to maintain the tenor of the board the way Geoff set it up and developed the community.

IB-Dick 08-27-08 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by X (Post 8899251)
Because, as much as possible, we want to maintain the tenor of the board the way Geoff set it up and developed the community.

Perfect answer, X.

matta 08-27-08 12:22 PM

So why are mods removing posts related to this topic? There was a serious discussion in otter that was just deleted. Not to mention a followup asking where the discussion went that was deleted.

So mods insulting posters is OK, but posters discussing rule changes is not?

spainlinx0 08-27-08 12:24 PM

I just don't get how gun threads change the tenor of the board. Geoff obviously had a personal bias about guns which was the reason for the ban. The people and moderation are what makes up the board. Sure, I understand limiting stuff like nudity for a work environment, but guns?

IB-Dick 08-27-08 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by matta (Post 8899363)
So why are mods removing posts related to this topic? There was a serious discussion in otter that was just deleted. Not to mention a followup asking where the discussion went that was deleted.

So mods insulting posters is OK, but posters discussing rule changes is not?

Where were posts deleted? [edit: nevermind, I found them]