Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Contextual Advertising on DVD Talk

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Contextual Advertising on DVD Talk

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-08, 09:18 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SomethingMore
I'm seeing these ads as well. Both in Firefox and IE7 (the latter of which I never use). Seems to only be on this site, though. Nothing at other sites I visit daily.

oddly enough, at the same time, I noticed that iGoogle blows chunks now. Instead of displaying previous searches when I start to type something in the search bar, it shows me "most common searches" that contain the text I'm entering. ie:
I typed "dvdt" and got the following:
dvd talk - 12,000,000 results
dvdtimes - 73,000 results
dvdtown - 236,000 results
dvdtalk forum - 1,110,000 results
dvdtoavi - 1,980,000 results

etc.

lame.
I've seen the in-text ads as well, and I don't have any spyware on my computers. At first I thought it was due to my previous "status", as it's been mentioned before that people not logged in see different ads (types and content) than logged in users. But now that I'm "back", I still see them.

They're not getting too crazy yet. Some sites highlight every other word. Here it's just one per paragraph. It's definitely not a good direction, though.

----

If DVDTalk wants to generate new revenue, how about having sponsored forums, where people pay to have their own subforum on a specific topic. For instance, a real estate company could have a subforum, then if people need real estate advice, they could go to that sub forum.

-----

iGoogle is strange now, but it's interesting the types of things you find. Sometimes I'll search for something (like "Consulate of Italy in Chicago") and halfway through, I'll get something unexpected ("Constipation after anal sex.")
Old 11-24-08, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
I am getting them again today. I don't see this sort of thing on any other sites I go to, so it seems to not be a virus.
Old 11-24-08, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I have never seen that here at work, or when browsing at home.
Old 11-24-08, 05:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by orangecrush18
I am getting them again today. I don't see this sort of thing on any other sites I go to, so it seems to not be a virus.

I'm getting them, as well. It's strange - sometimes it's every third word, sometimes one word a post, sometimes there are none at all (like right now).

I wonder if they're experimenting with them at different times of the day to see how it affects user traffic. If that's the case, they have to consider that long term effects are much more significant than short-term in these sorts of things.
Old 11-24-08, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I haven't seen them at all and i'm on here pretty regularly throughout the day. Using Chrome though.
Old 11-24-08, 05:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I haven't seen them at all and i'm on here pretty regularly throughout the day. Using Chrome though.
Isn't the use of software that blocks ads prohibited here?
Old 11-24-08, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suppose it is...so what?
Old 11-24-08, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts
This just popped up on my home machine. Previously I had only experienced it on other machines.
Old 11-24-08, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by matta
Isn't the use of software that blocks ads prohibited here?
Yes. But that doesn't have anything to do with Chrome.
Old 11-27-08, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just saw my first one: "Do fish get thirsty? Take the dumb test now." Dumb indeed.
Old 11-30-08, 09:24 PM
Banned

I've seen these things in every post for months now, on multiple computers and multiple browsers. How are people just starting to see these now? Are different members on a different level of advertisements?
Old 11-30-08, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mine stopped a few days after I first saw them. I figured it had something to do with my work's settings. But the lack of mod/admin response makes me think they know exactly what's going on.
Old 12-01-08, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I still have never seen these at home or at work. I am always logged in. Could that have something to do with it?
Old 12-01-08, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by chrisih8u
Mine stopped a few days after I first saw them. I figured it had something to do with my work's settings. But the lack of mod/admin response makes me think they know exactly what's going on.
I have never seen them and have no idea what's going on. Since it seems to be a very small number of people who've seen them (or atleast complained about them), I suspect spyware.

Maybe someone from IB can confirm or deny a stealth ad campaign against a select few members.
Old 12-01-08, 05:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Venusian
I have never seen them and have no idea what's going on. Since it seems to be a very small number of people who've seen them (or atleast complained about them), I suspect spyware.

Maybe someone from IB can confirm or deny a stealth ad campaign against a select few members.
There's no way it's spyware. If it is, then I have the same spyware that only affects DVDTalk.com on 3 different browsers on 3 different computers on 3 different networks, all with updated anti-spyware and anti-virus software, and one very recently formatted. This spyware also varies throughout the day.

So unless I'm getting some super-evasive spyware from logging into DVDTalk, I don't have spyware.

I assume it's a trial from IB to test the reaction of different types of users to different levels of ads at different times in the day. So, if if I get bombarded with ads, how do I react? Do I react differently at work (assumed to be 9 to 5) vs. at home (after 5 and weekends)? Do different levels of ads (every 5th word vs. once per post vs. none) impact my frequency of visiting the site or clicking links? Then they take my user behavior and extrapolate across all users with similar patterns (long-time users, primarily post in Other, etc.).

Last edited by matta; 12-01-08 at 05:14 PM.
Old 12-01-08, 05:12 PM
Banned

And if that is the case, they need to consider temporal effects and evolution effects. If I know this is a trial, I'll react different than if this is permanent and every user experiences it. I'll also react differently over periods of time.
Old 12-01-08, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was only seeing it on my work computer in various browsers and only on DVDTalk (no other sites).

My work computer has anti-spyware and antivirus. I ended up just installing flash and java blocking plugins on Firefox and that appears to have stopped the underlining in posts.
Old 12-01-08, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I guess I wasn't a chosen one

(I know its for a crappy thing, but its nice to be thought of!)
Old 12-02-08, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As an update I'm still getting this on two computes. I've run up to date anti-virus and spyware on both machines and no hits. It's really annoying, especially when I accidentally mouse over something.
Old 12-03-08, 07:10 AM
Mod Emeritus

I've merged the two related threads in order that folk can see the original comment from JuCo of IB.

I thought it better to explain that the latest queries have not been overlooked rather than to give the impression that they might have been missed. Currently, my understanding is that no further IB-originated comment/explanation is scheduled.

I would ask that affected members show some forbearance and resist any temptation to respond with negative comment regarding the practices of the current owners of the site and its forums which are provided at no direct cost to the user. Naturally the same goes for non-affected members

Thanks to all in advance for their understanding and co-operation.
Old 12-03-08, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by benedict
I've merged the two related threads in order that folk can see the original comment from JuCo of IB.

I thought it better to explain that the latest queries have not been overlooked rather than to give the impression that they might have been missed. Currently, my understanding is that no further IB-originated comment/explanation is scheduled.

I would ask that affected members show some forbearance and resist any temptation to respond with negative comment regarding the practices of the current owners of the site and its forums which are provided at no direct cost to the user. Naturally the same goes for non-affected members

Thanks to all in advance for their understanding and co-operation.
So I am reading it correctly that the official response a while back is that it was discontinued but they are still planning on how to implement it in a less offensive manner?

That was addressing a while back when it was hitting everyone, correct? No comment has been made about the present situation where it is affecting a lucky few of us?
Old 12-03-08, 08:45 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by xmiyux
So I am reading it correctly that the official response a while back is that it was discontinued but they are still planning on how to implement it in a less offensive manner?
I'm not sure that there is any benefit in further summarising the earlier official response which read as follows:<i><blockquote>According to the ads team, the contextual ad concept is still on the table but they are investigating ways to make it less intrusive. For now, the campaign has been discontinued and will be examined.</i></blockquote>
Originally Posted by xmiyux
That was addressing a while back when it was hitting everyone, correct? No comment has been made about the present situation where it is affecting a lucky few of us?
By implication, one would have to say that the current situation reflects what was originally said i.e. the campaign was going to be re-examined but remained on the table subject to it being made less intrusive.

Currently I do not anticipate further comment from IB although I believe that they are aware of the user feedback articulated here.

Now.... having endeavoured to shine what <i>little</i> light I can on the topic, I have to say that I'm in no position to comment any further.
Old 12-03-08, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wasn't trying to put anyone in an awkward position or belabor the point. Once you merged the threads I just wanted to make sure I was seeing the post discussing the issue. Until you pointed it out I hadn't realized that username was an admin from IB.

Thanks for reassuring me that was all the available info!
Old 12-03-08, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm also not trying to belabor the point (actually not seeing any ads today) so please allow. If I interpret the message correctly, coupled with recent events I assume the project was terminated, but has now begun resumed with examination of less intrusive methods?
Old 12-03-08, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm seeing ads at home using IE. If this continue I'll just install a blocker.

This morning from work, using Firefox, i wasn't seeing any ads.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.