DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Forum Feedback and Support (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support-4/)
-   -   Clarification for 2008 "Otterville Election" (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support/533845-clarification-2008-otterville-election.html)

NCMojo 06-18-08 09:16 AM

Clarification for 2008 "Otterville Election"

OK, I wanted to revisit this post from neimen after the last election:

Originally Posted by neimen
Mod note: The admins and mods of the Other forum have been discussing this election thing for awhile and we've come to some conclusions. Although there is no overall sanctioning of these elections, since you people seem to enjoy it we'll allow it but due to problems we've been having (wrt how the votes have been going [see #1] and the general candor the elections threads have taken) there's three significant changes that'll go into effect from here on out...

1) Anyone caught signing up for or using multiple accounts to vote in the election will be suspended for ONE YEAR! If this person signs up with another account during that suspension they will be BANNED. No excuses of "spouse/relative/friend who just came over" registered and voted will be accepted.

2) Votes from members who only joined DVD Talk in order to vote will be removed.

3) Custom titles will no longer be given out to the winner. The winner will be able to put their position in their location or signature if they want.

Thanks

So here's my beef -- the mods and admins are going to pore through all of the election poll results to root out bogus members, which has to be a pretty tedious and time-consuming process... but then at the end of all of that, they can't or won't take 5 minutes of time to change the custom title of the incoming and outgoing Presidents and Vice-Presidents? How does that make sense?

I'd think it would be much more practical just to ignore all of the election shenanigans (I mean, who cares if someone takes this shit seriously enough to go out and get their cousin's nephew's girlfriend to register and vote?) and just allow the winner to get a custom avatar and/or signature. What is the harm in that? How could that be a big deal?

But failing that, if the mods and admins want to clamp down on election "fraud", that's OK with me... but getting at least a custom title out of it seems like a very, very, incredibly small concession.

Of course, we could just resolve the whole matter by making me President for Life... but considering that the post-election poll was evenly split between my term being either the Era of Shame or the Era of Unspeakable Evil... maybe there's not a lot of popular support for that idea.

:(

The Bus 06-18-08 10:37 AM

That's too bad that custom titles won't be given out anymore.

vaporware 06-18-08 11:01 AM

Yet another failure of the mojo administration.

Shannon Nutt 06-18-08 01:18 PM

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g6...a/Election.gif

Bandoman 06-18-08 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by NCMojo
go out and get their cousin's nephew's girlfriend to register and vote? (

I think I know her.

twikoff 06-18-08 02:27 PM

i missed the no custom title post last year
but mojo has a title :hscratch:

i didnt know we had issues we #1 or #2.. never heard of anyone creating multiple accounts to vote -ohbfrank-

but #3 :down:

Groucho 06-18-08 02:30 PM

Yeah, baby. Sexy Groucho is only in this for the custom title. The ladies love it! Mmm-hmm.

NCMojo 06-18-08 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by twikoff
i missed the no custom title post last year
but mojo has a title :hscratch:

i didnt know we had issues we #1 or #2.. never heard of anyone creating multiple accounts to vote -ohbfrank-

but #3 :down:

They're basically saying that I would be the last one with a custom title. Which is pretty bogus -- I mean, how long does it take for an admin to come along and change four user titles? Five minutes, tops?

VinVega 06-18-08 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by twikoff

My understanding is that it did happen last year. A number of "new" accounts were started up at or around the election and never posted but voted in the election.

NCMojo 06-18-08 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by VinVega
My understanding is that it did happen last year. A number of "new" accounts were started up at or around the election and never posted but voted in the election.

Yeah, but how is that a really big deal???

And in any case... OK, if the mods and admins want to go all Crawford v. Marion County, that's fine with me. But to volunteer to do all of that extra work and then say, no, we don't want to spend 5 minutes changing user titles... that makes no sense.

TomOpus 06-18-08 09:09 PM

Mojo makes a strong case. I'd be curious as to the reasoning behind this.

It's almost like anything that makes Otter unique is slowly eroding away.

VinVega 06-18-08 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by NCMojo
Yeah, but how is that a really big deal???

Signing up a second, or fifth account is a violation of the forum rules.

VinVega 06-18-08 10:51 PM

I would suggest anyone voting in the election poll, must have several posts under their belt. It can't just be a drone account to stuff the ballot box. The bogus accounts signing up just to vote make more work for the mods.

Bandoman 06-19-08 05:52 AM

I agree with #1 and #2, but, as others have said, don't understand #3.

I don't think I can count any higher than that, so please don't put any more conditions on the election.

NCMojo 06-19-08 07:33 PM

Signing up a second, or fifth account is a violation of the forum rules.

Well, yeah, sure. But I was saying that having first-time posters voting -- having someone's grandmother's cousin's neighbor's dog sign up to vote -- just isn't a big deal.

I would suggest anyone voting in the election poll, must have several posts under their belt. It can't just be a drone account to stuff the ballot box. The bogus accounts signing up just to vote make more work for the mods.

I don't think I agree, but again -- I don't really care that much. If the mods and admins want to comb through the election results and unleash their inner Ron Klain, that's fine with me. But, c'mon, why can't they give the winner a custom title? RandyC used to change user names and hand out custom titles like candy... why the reluctance this time around?

Kittydreamer 06-19-08 08:12 PM

When I win, can I have the title of "Empress" instead of president? Thanks.

Minor Threat 06-20-08 10:21 AM

You know - there are members (not including mojo and myself) that have custom titles. I don't mind, I'm just sayin'.....

Bronkster 06-20-08 10:45 AM

Speaking of custom titles, isn't it supposed to be Otterfarm?

oh, and I'd like to add my support for keeping custom titles. :wave:

Minor Threat 06-22-08 06:24 PM

Yes - I agree - Mojo and I should keep our custom titles indefinatly.....

-wink-

wishbone 06-23-08 09:03 AM

Pres Emeritus / VP Emeritus? :shrug:

Of course retirement will just be a ruse as the strings will continue to be pulled from behind the curtain... ;)

NCMojo 06-24-08 08:03 PM

So... don't these threads in Feedback get read by mods and admins? Can I get some kind of quasi-official reply?

pilot 06-25-08 09:06 AM

quasi-official reply

NCMojo 06-25-08 11:38 AM

Thanks, pilot. I knew I could count on you. :up:

So you're going to change the user titles for our winners, right? Sweet. :clap:

pilot 06-25-08 12:40 PM

negative. i was thinking more of the lines of making the winners post count reset to zero and suspending them for a week ;)

NCMojo 06-25-08 01:18 PM

Aww, come on, pilot. Don't you get it? Now that RandyC has stopped posting here on a regular basis... the position of "fun, cool admin" is wide open! Don't you want to become the new RandyC? Be a sport, pilot.

-pray-