DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Forum Feedback and Support (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support-4/)
-   -   Please stop the insanity! Ad related. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support/531897-please-stop-insanity-ad-related.html)

MadonnasManOne 05-20-08 02:06 AM

Please stop the insanity! Ad related.

I seriously thought that this issue was going to be resolved. For a little while, yesterday, the ads were gone, and I was so freaking happy. However, I come back on this morning, and they are back! The ad I am referring to is for Frontier (S). This is the most annoying ad in the HISTORY of ads, and I know there are MANY people here that are quite sick of them. I understand that ads are needed to support a site, however, when an ad is constantly being displayed, where it starts screaming and shouting by accidentally rolling over it, sometimes you don't even come near the ad, and it freaks out, something needs to be done! Especially if the ad is such an annoyance, that it makes people want to avoid the site altogether. Is there any way to address this?

I, along with many others users, would greatly appreciate it.

Seantn 05-20-08 04:29 AM

They know that everyone hates it, but nothing will be done. Before the other thread was closed, it was suggested by a mod that we not come to the site for a few days to avoid the ad.

RyoHazuki 05-20-08 04:40 AM

We basically got a big F U from the guys upstairs. The Frontiers people paid for the ad so us dvdtalkers are gonna see it.

lotsofdvds 05-20-08 06:55 AM

Since IB has made no official statement on this, allow me to make one up:

"You suck it. Suck on that Frontier(s) ad, you! Mwhahahaha! Suck it down, sucker! Take it up the pooper, dear reader!"

lordwow 05-20-08 06:56 AM

I really like the new forum sounds. Thanks for adding them.

Having a record scratch when you enter the music forum really sets the mood. Though I'm not sure why it happens on all of the other forums as well.

lotsofdvds 05-20-08 07:24 AM

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...lus32/ibtl.gif

Gromit 05-20-08 07:32 AM

I've about had it too and I don't have sound enabled. I think it's time to take a break from dvdtalk.com for a while.

Yakuza Bengoshi 05-20-08 07:35 AM

Why another thread about this? Nobody at IB cares. If you don't like the ad, load a flash blocking program. For Firefox, Ad Blocker Plus works wonders, and it's free.

Goldberg74 05-20-08 07:47 AM

I was surprised to see the ad gone for a few days, but not really surprised when it was tossed back into heavy rotation again.

... oh well. I still surf DVDTalk with the MUTE button turned on.

Anyways, after Dancing with the Stars and American Idol are over, I'm going to take a break from DVDTalk for awhile.

EdTheRipper 05-20-08 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
Why another thread about this? Nobody at IB cares. If you don't like the ad, load a flash blocking program. For Firefox, Ad Blocker Plus works wonders, and it's free.

I agree. The previous thread had 418 posts in it and IB did nothing about it. I installed Ad Blocker Plus for Firefox and it works like a charm...I haven't seen the ad since.

Cardsfan111 05-20-08 07:56 AM

I can see why another thread was started. The last one was locked on 5/16 with a note from X that there'd be another 2 days of the ad. He also indicated, IB was working to make sure it didn't happen again. Obviously, there must have been some new development.

Goldberg74 05-20-08 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
I agree. The previous thread had 418 posts in it and IB did nothing about it. I installed Ad Blocker Plus for Firefox and it works like a charm...I haven't seen the ad since.

I went ahead and installed it to and blocked only that ad.

All of the other ads on DVDTalk show up, but that one.

Now I guess I don't have to boycott!

Unless IB has stake in Ad Blocker Plus... then I guess we can't win. :(.... who am I kidding ;)

chanster 05-20-08 09:34 AM

Stop moaning, it was a paid ad and they have to meet certain impressions. Obviously they didn't reach those impression levels over the weekend, so the ad came back. If you are pissed off enough by it, then leave...same thing happened when Geoff ran the site.

lotsofdvds 05-20-08 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by chanster
Stop moaning, it was a paid ad and they have to meet certain impressions. Obviously they didn't reach those impression levels over the weekend, so the ad came back. If you are pissed off enough by it, then leave...same thing happened when Geoff ran the site.

:crap:

X 05-20-08 10:15 AM

I closed the previous thread about this primarily because it got out of hand with attacks on the owners of this site. Attacks that we wouldn't even allow to other members. This one is going the same way.

IB is fully aware of what our members think of the ad. I would think sharply dropping pageviews would show them that ads like this aren't productive here. Posting the same comments over and over about the ad doesn't reduce pageviews.

The last time I was told that there would be only two more days of it running but it appears that's not the case. We'll pass on anything else we hear.

JuCo 05-20-08 12:58 PM

Hi,
I am the community manager for Internet Brands. I can tell you that IB is very aware of your response to the ad campaign. The moderators here have done the best they could to pass along the information they had about how long the campaign would last. Unfortunately, because the rotation was slowed (it's true...) the campaign was automatically extended.

I apologize for giving out the wrong information. I assure you it was an error on my part and not a scheme to mislead this community.

Please feel free to contact me via PM if you have any questions.

Thanks,
JuCo