DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Forum Feedback and Support (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support-4/)
-   -   Avatars: New Owners, Old Question (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support/531219-avatars-new-owners-old-question.html)

lotsofdvds 05-09-08 02:29 PM

Avatars: New Owners, Old Question

Since we have new owners, I thought I'd ask if the official policy against avatars still stands. Other sites under the IB umbrella allow their users to have avatars.

Will wait patiently until the weekend is over for a response.

Groucho 05-09-08 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
Will wait patiently until the weekend is over for a response.

What happens if Monday rolls around and still no answer? :eek:

Venusian 05-09-08 03:08 PM

lotsofdvds 05-09-08 03:14 PM

Trashy? So avatars are the equivalent of celebrities not wearing underwear?

Venusian 05-09-08 03:36 PM

Close.

I just think they clutter up a site. There are tons of forums out there that are just covered with random images from avatars and images in sigs and all kinds of crap like that.

VinVega 05-09-08 03:44 PM

I have my avatars turned off. I don't even want to see the mods' avatars. ;) I had an avatar for a little while when I became a mod, but got rid of it.

Draven 05-09-08 06:59 PM

God no. I hate forums that allow that crap. I don't even like the ones that are allowed here.

calhoun07 05-09-08 09:56 PM

I can't say I miss having one, but I do have one I use on other forums if we are ever allowed one.

Dr Mabuse 05-09-08 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by VinVega
I have my avatars turned off.

isn't that what's cool?... if you are unusual, and don't like avatars, you can turn them ALL off... and never know they are there...

yet most of the other people, who do like avatars, can see the avatars since they dig them...

they are, after all, on almost every forum on the internet for a reason...

they're kinda cool...

Trevor 05-10-08 08:02 AM

I'm seriously not trying to threadcrap or be cruel, but avatars? Aren't those for kids? I don't see them except on the more immature aimed forums. I thought most people here were adults.

imperator505 05-10-08 11:34 AM

Not keen myself - but since they can be switched off (and I have) it won't bother me.

kilcher 05-10-08 05:29 PM

I don't necessarily miss them but I think it makes for more of a community, being able to put a "face" to the post. As it is now I just read the forum and don't notice who posts what.

GoldenJCJ 05-10-08 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by kilcher
I don't necessarily miss them but I think it makes for more of a community, being able to put a "face" to the post. As it is now I just read the forum and don't notice who posts what.

I have no problem putting a "face" to the usernames of members here without seeing pictures. Heck, half the time I can just read a post and automatically know who posted it without even looking at the name...Sarcastic one liner? yup, I know who posted. Right-wing ranting in every non-political thread? yup, know who posted. Nonsensical post filled with smilies? Yup, I know. Thread title with a question mark? yup... I think I've been here too long. :)

twikoff 05-10-08 09:10 PM

count me in the group against avatars
they do make a site look trashy, they clutter up the screen, and they are pointless

yes, you have the option to turn them off.. but i dont get the option to turn off the strain the add to the forum servers.. and if that effects my browsing, then its a bad thing!

Nick Danger 05-11-08 07:56 AM

I have avatars turned off because I don't like them. But some people do. Some people also like to put lots of bumper stickers on their car.

If a post is a sarcastic one-liner, who is it? One of a couple dozen members. If it's really funny it still only reduces the count by half.

Mopower 05-11-08 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Venusian
Close.

I just think they clutter up a site.

Just like ads that take up half your fucking browser and shoot sound blarring out your speakers? This place fucking sucks.

DarkestPhoenix 05-12-08 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
isn't that what's cool?... if you are unusual, and don't like avatars, you can turn them ALL off... and never know they are there...

yet most of the other people, who do like avatars, can see the avatars since they dig them...

they are, after all, on almost every forum on the internet for a reason...

they're kinda cool...

Exactly. Allowing them COULD make everyone happy, if only some would make three extra clicks.

Hell, make it so that Avatars are, by default, off, and we actually have to go turn them ON. I'd be for that, if the clicking is too much of a pain for the opposers.

DarkestPhoenix 05-12-08 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by Mopower
Just like ads that take up half your fucking browser and shoot sound blaring out your speakers? This place fucking sucks.

:lol:

lotsofdvds 05-12-08 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho
What happens if Monday rolls around and still no answer? :eek:

We riot.

Groucho 05-12-08 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by twikoff
count me in the group against avatars
they do make a site look trashy, they clutter up the screen, and they are pointless

http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/2...atarwtfca9.png

orangecrush 05-12-08 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
I'm seriously not trying to threadcrap or be cruel, but avatars? Aren't those for kids? I don't see them except on the more immature aimed forums. I thought most people here were adults.

You have obviously not seen lotsofdvds classy avatar.

twikoff 05-12-08 03:34 PM

not a forum.. if you dont put something there, you get that ugly 'no image' image

not even comparable

edit.. i see that they do show up in the forums over there.. and look cluttered and trashy

lotsofdvds 05-13-08 08:45 AM

So, uh... hello?

Mopower 05-13-08 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
So, uh... hello?

It's only tuesday.

Groucho 05-13-08 04:01 PM

Good news everybody! We've worked out an arrangement where all users can now have avatars. You'll be able to select from a wide variety of images from Frontier(s) the new film from Lions Gate Entertainment that isn't for the faint of heart. Enjoy!