Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Can You Tell Me Why the 'How to Defraud a Store' Thread Is Still Open?

Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Old 04-22-08, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=523686

It starts out well enough:

Originally Posted by bigt7117
Just like the title says. I have a sealed copy of Heroes and upgraded to HD. The dvd was a gift and don't have the receipt.

Thanks in advance
Now, he or she could have just instructed people not to buy them any DVDs as gifts and they wouldn't be in this situation, but oh well. What's done is done.

But sure enough, all of the aspiring low-level con artists come out of the woodwork. Some choice quotes:

"I picked HD over Blu and now that Blu is winning, I want to stick a store with a dying brand":
Originally Posted by DJ Longfellow
I'll let you know how my Borders trip goes...this sounds like the best idea. Apparently two stores sell HD-DVD's. I was going to try Best Buy (my friend used to work there and knows people, but he doesn't seem too excited to do it).

Borders is good....I just want to swap HD for Blu-Ray anyways.
But he's not done yet!
Originally Posted by DJ Longfellow
Thanks...is there a limit you can return in one day? Just curious...I have like 5-6 now after going neutral to Blu
A logical question with no holes in it:
Originally Posted by jjcool
I really don't understand this apparent aversion to returns that all the major stores seem to have. IF the store carries the item, and it is still sealed in saleable condition, why should it matter that there is no reciept?
"I am an idiot and instead of owning up to my mistake, I want someone else to pay for it":
Originally Posted by ESG927
As I posted I didn't have any luck at Best Buy because they claim they haven't stocked my DVD since last September (still think that's a crock of BS). Sooo, I checked the shelves of Circuit City and WalMart and didn't see it at either.

I'm kicking myself for accidently ordering something I already had....and then not bothering to return it to DD (too much hassle I said).
Yet another "I picked the wrong horse" winner:
Originally Posted by wewantflair
Mine gave me no issues taking backs items they have never stocked (Excalibur HD DVD).
Here is a fine, upstanding citizen:
Originally Posted by Kory
I bought the one-disc edition of "Crash" for $3.99 at BestBuy.com this week, returned it to Target with no receipt for $9.99 plus tax, and then bought the two-disc edition of the same movie for $9.44 plus tax.

Also, I bought the full screen edition of "The Aviator" from Target and did a no receipt exchange for the wide screen edition at Best Buy. I've never had any problems with no receipt exchanges at Best Buy, but I can't say for sure about returns.
"Hmmmm...should I eat, save money or add to my Wii library. Whoops, looks like I made the wrong choice":
Originally Posted by mcfly
I attempted to return a sealed copy of Mario Part 8 for the Wii last night, never opened.. looked like it just came off of the shelf. I bought it on eBay for a steal and really needed some groceries.. and I thought what the hell. Needless to say, they wouldn't take it back first because it was an electronic (the woman said ALL movies and video games - regardless of being sealed needed a valid receipt) and second because the total wasn't over $125?!?! I never heard of that before. Sure, times have changed quite a bit.. but apparently you need a minimum of $125 to even get store credit!!
This member knows where to draw the line when it comes to fraud:
Originally Posted by Christi P
I just brought back The Departed SD, Blood Diamond SD and From the Earth to the Moon and they took them back without issue. They did check the computer and only gave me $8.99 each for The Departed and Blood Diamond but I'm pretty sure I paid less than that for them. They flatly refused to take back Devil Wears Prada because there was some sticker residue left on the outer cardboard box and she claimed that Borders doesn't use those types of stickers, I didn't press the issue.
Outright theft...
Originally Posted by D917
I have a question. I got the 5 free BluRays by mail with the purchase of the PS3. I want to return them and get another PS3 controller. If I take take them to a BestBuy and they take them, what shows up on their computer screen when they scan the DVDs?
...that SFranke is more than happy to help out with:
Originally Posted by SFranke
Go to Amazon.com and click on Selling on Amazon on the left side of the page. Enter the UPCs of your discs in the box. If it returns the corresponding item, then you shouldn't have a problem returning.

In my experience, promo DVDs usually have the same UPC as the stores or a box stating the item is not for resale.
tbwmp88's empire is growing to the point where he needs additional staff:
Originally Posted by tbwmp88
Anyone in Boston want $30 cash to return a few DVD's?
And on and on and on. There are more quotables in the thread.

Is there some rule here about how it's kosher to discuss things like this, especially when other threads get quickly closed when mods catch even a whiff of other illegal things, like where to download certain things or make copies of DVDs? If so, then fine, but if not, then this is pretty hypocritical. Especially when there are Amazon affiliate links in each review, and a lot of the posts concern ways of how to ripoff Borders for giftcards which can (or were anyways) be used at Amazon.
Old 04-22-08, 01:22 AM
X
Administrator

That thread really has gone too far in the way of advocating unethical behavior.

I think it just slipped under the radar for a while and got out of hand.
Old 04-22-08, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

wow ... just a link would have sufficed
Old 04-22-08, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, but I was bored and nothing was on TV at the time.
Old 04-22-08, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by paulringodaman
wow ... just a link would have sufficed
That was way more entertaining than a link though.
Old 04-23-08, 04:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
That was way more entertaining than a link though.
Agreed! I personally loved the commentary.
Old 04-25-08, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk God

How to defraud a store. Could you be any more melodramatic?
Old 04-25-08, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by melbatoast
Agreed! I personally loved the commentary.
Thread commentary! All new bonus feature!
Old 04-25-08, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.