Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Music Talk Question: Fine, guy. Here.

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-07, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=373364
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=486758
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=497078
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=497184

?!!

Originally Posted by benedict
If you have a problem with moderation decisions you can email me or Geoff or post a thread in Feedback.

There is absolutely no need to take yet another thread off-topic by posting ill-informed digs.
Another member asked a legitimate question: what happened to the original thread. In response to his question, the entirely unwarranted locks of the two separate, existing threads were brought to his (and everybody else's) attention.

If you're going to lecture me about handling a complaint improperly, and thus derailing a thread...you shouldn't do so by derailing the entire forum with an unnecessary "let's make a public point" thread. With all due respect, monkey see, monkey do, sir.

If you wanted to know the backstory all that was required was to read my final post in the most recent thread.
I did read your "explanation." Thing is, I really couldn't care less if you feel there's nothing to discuss until the album is released. If that's the case, moderate and don't participate. Whatever, no skin off my back. But if certain people here feel there is something worth discussing, and everything is running within the forum guidelines, there's absolutely no sense in going out of your way to impede their open discussion. It happened twice, no less! I was, and still am, completely baffled. Since when is there an issue with discussing an upcoming album in the music forum?

When a moderator prohibits discussion simply because he doesn't care for the topic of discussion, there's an issue worth addressing. Furthermore, if you were unhappy with the way the issue was addressed, you surely could've found a more productive and less hypocritical way of making that known.

So, you wanted a separate thread in the feedback forum...and here it is, filled to the brim with question marks. Let's hear it.
Old 04-05-07, 06:38 AM

Oh, and my apologies in advance for the vague thread title, a combination of frustration and dismay.
Old 04-05-07, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whatever.
Old 04-05-07, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
Another member asked a legitimate question: what happened to the original thread. In response to his question, the entirely unwarranted locks of the two separate, existing threads were brought to his (and everybody else's) attention.

If you're going to lecture me about handling a complaint improperly, and thus derailing a thread...you shouldn't do so by derailing the entire forum with an unnecessary "let's make a public point" thread. With all due respect, monkey see, monkey do, sir.

I did read your "explanation." Thing is, I really couldn't care less if you feel there's nothing to discuss until the album is released. If that's the case, moderate and don't participate. Whatever, no skin off my back. But if certain people here feel there is something worth discussing, and everything is running within the forum guidelines, there's absolutely no sense in going out of your way to impede their open discussion. It happened twice, no less! I was, and still am, completely baffled. Since when is there an issue with discussing an upcoming album in the music forum?

When a moderator prohibits discussion simply because he doesn't care for the topic of discussion, there's an issue worth addressing. Furthermore, if you were unhappy with the way the issue was addressed, you surely could've found a more productive and less hypocritical way of making that known.

So, you wanted a separate thread in the feedback forum...and here it is, filled to the brim with question marks. Let's hear it.

Thanks for starting this thread, NBT. I thought about it, but didn't have the nerve. But I did e-mail Benedict earlier this morning and addressed much of the same things you did. AFAIK, he has yet to respond.
Old 04-05-07, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
For what it's worth, a lot of threads in the Movie subforum are similar: your Indy 4s, etc.
Old 04-05-07, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey! Where is this "fine guy" you promised???

Tease.
Old 04-05-07, 08:57 PM

I agree 100% with the OP.
Old 04-05-07, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus
For what it's worth, a lot of threads in the Movie subforum are similar: your Indy 4s, etc.
It's not about similar or duplicate threads--the reason there's so many GN'R threads in the first place is because the moderator keeps locking the old ones up because he doesn't care for the topic. Not because they've gone off-topic, or have become too long, or caused flame wars, or broken any of the forum rules or standards. None of those things. It boils down to the fact that Benedict doesn't like Axl Rose--and doesn't like anybody else even talking about him, either.

And I think that's a bunch of crap.
Old 04-05-07, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Benedict seems to be just keeping a lid on these so-called "update" threads.

Consider that the first thread linked is nearly five years old and despite that it appears that there hasn't been any solid updates.
Old 04-06-07, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by NCMojo
Hey! Where is this "fine guy" you promised???

Tease.

There. A Bea Arthur joke.
See what you made me go and do?
Old 04-06-07, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 577 Likes on 417 Posts
Having read those, I must agree, I don't see why a moderator should close a thread just because he doesn't think there's anything to discuss until the album comes out. If others wish to discuss it, and are otherwise not breaking forum rules, the discussion should continue.
Old 04-07-07, 12:49 PM
Retired

Agree with LurkerDan. Seems like a pretty lame reason to close a thread.

Threads should only be closed when they violate a forum rule, and I see nothing remotely close there.
Old 04-07-07, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Agree with LurkerDan. Seems like a pretty lame reason to close a thread.

Threads should only be closed when they violate a forum rule, and I see nothing remotely close there.
Old 04-08-07, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by LurkerDan
Having read those, I must agree, I don't see why a moderator should close a thread just because he doesn't think there's anything to discuss until the album comes out. If others wish to discuss it, and are otherwise not breaking forum rules, the discussion should continue.
I agree 100%. To me there's really no valid reason for any of those threads to be closed.
Old 04-09-07, 05:18 AM

I second.. no, third... no... whatever the sentiment.
-ringding-
Old 04-09-07, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Still no word from Benedict?

= J
Old 04-09-07, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Tarantino
Still no word from Benedict?
Nope!
Old 04-09-07, 06:42 PM

Wasn't the point of requesting this comment go in feedback was so a mod could address it?
Old 04-10-07, 12:02 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Received 116 Likes on 75 Posts
Maybe he doesn't read "Fine, guy. Here" threads?
Old 04-10-07, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kuroiinu
Maybe he doesn't read "Fine, guy. Here" threads?
Maybe a mod should read every thread in the feedback forum, and if another mod is called out by name, they should give that mod a heads up? Dunno, just thinking out loud here.

I agree that closing those threads was pretty lame.
Old 04-10-07, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree with all of you guys saying that it was a pointless reason to close the threads. I really don't see how anyone can't agree with that point of view.

You guys shouldn't be shocked that the mod hasn't responded yet, almost a week later. I've found that many of the mods and reviewers just flat out don't respond to threads and emails sometimes when they're questioned. I don't mean that as a knock towards anyone, but it is something that I've noticed.

Last edited by BrentLumkin; 04-10-07 at 11:50 PM.
Old 04-11-07, 01:41 AM

Since Benedict has yet to respond to the thread that he suggested be made (or the e-mail he suggested I send), I thought I'd post some more of his own words on the topic, from the GN'R concert thread, to provide a little more insight to his position:

I think it would be preferable if anyone wanting to discuss this alleged band's alleged album did so in a separate thread. The last one was closed for length (and boredom?).

That said, given the wealth of ill-informed nonsense talked about it already, it might be better if people refused to add to the verbiage unless and until the thing actually appeared on the shelves. It is an individual choice, however. A " The one and only Guns n Roses Chinese Democracy ever-changing release date thread [part 2]" is fine if it stays relatively civil.
Originally Posted by Mr. Music
How is the above not a thread crap? - I mean is it a separate rule that mods are allowed to post stuff like the above and it is not considered crap because they are a mod?

It is apparent from the above post, and post(s) made in the previous release thread that you do not like this band.

Posts like that can make threads uncivil....
1) If you consider that this week's variation of the Axl Rose dog & pony show merits the name "Guns & Roses" that is your perogative. Just as mine is to refer to it as an alleged band. Should we put it to a vote, or agree to differ?

2) I can't stand Axl Rose. This is based on my observation that he is a waster who pisses all over his fans and has on plenty of occasions shown himself to be something of a stranger to the truth. Your mileage may vary.

3) This thread has a name. It is all about the concerts (when they happen). And posts about a long-touted album don't really belong in it. Just FYI I had complaints from other DVDTalk members last time when people posted about the concerts in the delayed album thread.

4) Frankly, so long as everyone gets their say, I'm not sure what the big deal is in this particular case; especially as I made it clear that those wishing to speculate further as to the unarguably much-delayed album were free to do so in a separate thread.

Incidentally, Fool's Gold is a track by The Stone Roses whose long awaited second album "Second Coming" came out five or six years after their first.

"Golds just around the corner
Breakdowns coming up round the bend
Sometimes you have to try to get along dear
I know the truth and I know what youre thinking
Down down down down da down down down"

If anyone wants to make any more of this, maybe they could email me or post in Feedback rather than taking things off-topic here.
And then, four months later, he locked up the "Open Letter from Axl Rose" thread with the following:

I read somewhere that even the fan club had suspended its site after the latest missed deadline.....

.... perhaps it is "mean", but maybe people could concentrate on the tour (which has its own thread) and only expend energy on discussing this outfit's new album if/when it appears.

The guy already has had plenty of publicity here for his non-appearing oeuvre so I'll close this and someone can post a poll or whatever.
So, in December, people were free to "speculate further as to the unarguably much-delayed album" in a separate thread, which was "fine if it stay(ed) relatively civil."

But in March, that changed to "maybe people could. . .only expend energy on discussing this outfit's new album if/when it appears."

I don't get it.
Old 04-11-07, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I am not sure why limiting it to a single thread would not have been the best solution. instead you close one and another crops up and then you end up with a thread in here??

Maybe I just am not seeing it very clearly.

I would hope a decision to allow a single thread would be acceptable to the Mods.
Old 04-11-07, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 577 Likes on 417 Posts
The answer is clear: Bendict rules the music forum with an iron fist!
Old 04-11-07, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
You guys shouldn't be shocked that the mod hasn't responded yet, almost a week later. I've found that many of the mods and reviewers just flat out don't respond to threads and emails sometimes when they're questioned. I don't mean that as a knock towards anyone, but it is something that I've noticed.
I've noticed this too. If they're not going to listen to feedback, then they shouldn't pretend to care about it by asking for it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.