Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

whats with all the 1 and 2 star movies being promoted under the dvd reviews

Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Old 01-23-08, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im seeing Jessica simpson and dolph lundgren and other weird obscure straight to dvd movies being the featured dvd listed under the dvd review section when I am within the forums. Out of curiosity I always click on them if it is something I never heard of in hopes of finding a gem. Why are these garbage movies being featured, do people want to read reviews of bad movies?

No idea if this is a good forum for the topic or not.
Old 01-23-08, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,227 Posts
Originally Posted by Jacoby Ellsbury
Why are these garbage movies being featured, do people want to read reviews of bad movies?
They're randomly selected.

It'd be possible to just show reviews that have gotten a certain number of stars, but I'll admit to liking the current system. Just because a movie got panned doesn't mean the review should be less accessible.
Old 01-24-08, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also, just because one of us didn't like a particular DVD doesn't mean you won't.
There are these things called opinions.
Old 01-24-08, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I blind buy everything, if you guys give it 2 stars or less Im not buying it. You guys are my guiding light.
Speaking of opinions, that movie "shoot em up" got two highly recommended reviews and 2 skip it reviews. I can see your point there. But I mean if Jessica simpson and dolph lundgren movies are getting 1 star I'll believe you.
Old 01-25-08, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are a lot of shitty movies out there and it seems like it is DVDTALKS mission to review them all.
Old 01-25-08, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Mopower
There are a lot of shitty movies out there and it seems like it is DVDTALKS mission to review them all.
Especially ones with provocative covers.
Old 01-25-08, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Why are these garbage movies being featured, do people want to read reviews of bad movies?
If you feel sorry for yourself for having to waste a minute clicking on a review of a bad film, think about the reviewer who is not only excepted to watch the bad film, but also to write a review about it.

Last edited by Yakuza Bengoshi; 01-25-08 at 09:46 AM.
Old 01-25-08, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
If you feel sorry for yourself for having to waste a minute clicking on a review of a bad film, think about the reviewer who is not only excepted to watch the bad film, but also to write a review about it.

You gotta do something to keep that fancy avatar privilege.
Old 01-25-08, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
January's a slow month anyway.
Old 01-25-08, 02:18 PM

Received 1,832 Likes on 1,091 Posts
I hear you, Jacoby. The balance between movies with an actual media campaign (and budget) behind it compared to the glut of direct-to-DVD budgetless bombs in the top-of-the-page featured DVD reviews is noticeable.
Old 01-25-08, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Yakuza Bengoshi
Poor reviewers and all their free movies.
Old 02-06-08, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It seems like not much there anymore. I usually click on something that sounds familar or has a weird title. I might click on more to see what they are about if the title included when a reviewer thought they were good. Either Stars or Higly Recommended, etc.

Old 02-07-08, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Poor reviewers and all their free movies.
No kidding. Cry me a fucking river.
Old 02-07-08, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'm not saying it isn't great to get free DVDs. It is great. Really great. However, that has nothing to do with the fact that it's no fun to watch a bad movie and then have to write a negative review of it, when what I really want to do is just turn the bad movie off as quickly as possible and never think about it again. Obviously though, the good outweighs the bad or I wouldn't do it.

Anyway, Jacoby Ellsbury and abrg923, DVDTalk Review Editors John Sinnott and Daniel Hirshleifer periodically bring on new reviewers, I hope you consider applying next time and then you can tell me if you see it differently.
Old 02-07-08, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have nothing against you reviewing bad movies and feel your pain, but why promote them after you review them. Are you even obligated to review these movies. I would shut em off after 20-30 minutes. The latest Pam Anderson legally blonder or whatever. skip it, 0 stars and it keeps popping up. Then this other one with the teenage girl runner, the box cover looks like it could be another bad movie, but it got a highly recommended I believe, so it isnt easy to decipher. Nothing against the reviewers just the promoting of the garbage
Old 02-07-08, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Jacoby, a system like you're talking about would require either putting undue weight on the opinion of one reviewer or looking to some outside source for determining which reviews get showcased and which get snubbed. I often am surprised by how favorably some reviewers regard films I wouldn't see on a bet and how miserably they underrate movies that I think deserve high praise; others no doubt feel the same disbelief about my reviews.

My colleague Phil Bacharach, whom I have great respect for, gave the television series <i>City of Men</i> a rating of highly recommended and 4 1/2 stars for content. I reviewed the same series and gave it a recommendation of rent it and 1 1/2 stars for content. Most titles only receive a single review. Should they really drop off the radar just because one reviewer didn't like them?

When I write a negative review, I try to inform the reader about what didn't work for me, but more importantly I try to provide enough information about the content and disc quality for the reader to make an independent judgment about whether the title might appeal to them anyway with the hope that if so, then they'll look elsewhere for a second opinion.

I assume you know this, but I'll mention it anyway, you can always narrow in on the most favorable reviews through the Advanced Search Function on the Review page. Here, for example, is the list of 674 titles that have received a recommendation of DVD Talk Collector Series.

Last edited by Yakuza Bengoshi; 02-07-08 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-07-08, 04:37 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

I have nothing against you reviewing bad movies and feel your pain, but why promote them after you review them. Are you even obligated to review these movies? I would shut em off after 20-30 minutes. The latest Pam Anderson legally blonder or whatever. skip it, 0 stars and it keeps popping up. Then this other one with the teenage girl runner, the box cover looks like it could be another bad movie, but it got a highly recommended I believe, so it isnt easy to decipher. Nothing against the reviewers just the promoting of the garbage
Keep in mind that part of the "deal" with being a reviewer here is that you may get assigned some screeners you did not request and yes, you are obligated to review them no matter how lame you may think they are.

As far as reviewers "promoting" their reviews, generally we are not doing any such thing. I always believed that the website is coded to put titles more people are reading into heavier rotation on the website (based on how frequently titles listed on the top ten lists popped up compared to others). The front page articles and columns seem to focus more on the higher rated titles but I have yet to see any attempts to make lower rated titles run more often in the forums.

As far as what movies are reviewed, one of the key selling points here is that there are so many reviewers with varied opinions and reviews of titles that aren't even looked at elsewhere (at least in credible fashion). Sure, the BB loss leaders are covered all over the place but the lesser known titles?!?
Old 02-07-08, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,799 Likes on 1,210 Posts
There's tons of product out there, and the majority of straight-to-DVD didn't make the theaters for a reason. As a DVD review site, we get most of it, and pretty much have to review everything. Since recent review covers pop up randomly, the majority are going to be for DVDs that suck.

Unless a movie is really good or a reviewer's favorite, writing and watching is still a job (albeit often quite a fun one) and getting to keep a DVD of a movie you hated yet had to watch and think about critically is small compensation. Hopefully readers still get enjoyment out of reading a well-written review, regardless of the quality of the film.

And keep clickin', it's what keeps the site alive!