DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Forum Feedback and Support (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support-4/)
-   -   Why the heavy-handedness in the DDD thread? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support/517658-why-heavy-handedness-ddd-thread.html)

Heat 11-19-07 12:43 AM

Why the heavy-handedness in the DDD thread?

This is in Pilot's opening thread:

ADMIN NOTE:
Any negative comments (i.e. threadcraps) will be removed from this thread, as well as any debate about prices going up and down and left and right before/after/during the sale. Post ALL THAT IN THE STORE FORUM. IF YOU DON'T LIKE DD OR THE SALE, VOICE YOUR OPINION IN THE STORE FORUM. NOT HERE!

What's next? Everybody will be required to hold hands and sing kumbaya?

Don't get me wrong, I like Deep Discount and normally only order DVDs from either them or Amazon, but a discussion of whether or not something is truly a bargain is, well, part of a bargain thread. A person shouldn't have to worry about being suspended or banned just because they question whether something is a good price or point out a sale at a different store which might have better prices. Or, more imporantly at this time, that black friday is coming up and prices will be cheaper on some items then.

Also, why does a DD thread get an administrator's protection (if you say that something may not be a bargain, that's a threadcrap and you may be punished) while all other threads are treated "normally"?

Houstondon 11-19-07 03:53 AM

I'm guessing this is because the specific thread has a specific purpose and a great many such threads in the past have gotten out of control in the past by a limited few members. The good news is that you are warned in the opening post so you can't complain if you thread crap and are subjected to the wrath of the Admin. There are a number of complaint threads to go to if you are upset about something so your ability to vent is not truncated too. :)

lordwow 11-19-07 07:43 AM

Because inevidebly the DDD thread turns into a bunch of threadcrapping. One year we had tons and tons of members claiming that DDD raised all their prices 20% before the sale. The next sale we "audited" them in a seperate thread, tracking their prices over the 6 months and found that only a handful of DVDs went up in price the week of the sale, and about the same amount went down in price the same time.

Then there are tons of complaints that shipping takes too long. Free shipping.

The Store Forum has always been used to log/discuss complaints about specific site/stores, and the DVD Bargains threads are usually limted to discussion of the sale itself, not the practices of the site/store.

benedict 11-19-07 10:22 AM

One man's heavy-handedness is another man's fair warning.

GuessWho 11-20-07 02:42 PM

A discussion of pricing seems more fitting in a Bargains forum than the usual "look what i got" bragging.

RyoHazuki 11-21-07 01:05 AM

DDD makes an assload off money of this site. I don't think its too hard to figure out.

pilot 11-21-07 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
DDD makes an assload off money of this site. I don't think its too hard to figure out.

That has nothing to do with it. I simply get tired of DD threads turning into threadcraps'r'us and having 50 posts reported because everybody can't play nice. It makes things easier on the admins and mods if people don't piss each other off in the big thread which turns it from people asking questions, posting what they buy and recommending other stuff, into arguments up the ass. So, I simply ask that those who wish to question the company, prices, etc to post in the store forum.