Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

DVD Talk Joins Internet Brands

Old 10-29-07, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Woulda shoulda coulda. We'll see where this goes. Thanks for everything over the years, Geoff!
Old 10-30-07, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm a member of several other forums that were acquired by IB and haven't noticed any difference in how they're run.

Congratulatiosn Geoff, good to see your hard work pay off!
Old 10-30-07, 10:17 PM
Internet Brands

Hi! My name is John and I'm the general manager of the Travel & Leisure Division of Internet Brands. We are very excited to have DVD Talk join our family of online communities. We're enormously impressed by the site and community Geoff, the moderators, reviewers and participants have created.

We do not have plans for big changes to the site. We were attracted to it because we like what it is right now. We'll look to Geoff and the moderator team to continue guiding the personality of the forums. We don't foresee any significant changes in terms of the kinds of advertising running on the site.

While we aren't going to be embarking on significant changes to the site, we do hope to make a series of improvements to it. In particular, we want to move the site to more powerful computer servers and upgrade the software used to run the site.

Geoff is staying actively involved with DVD Talk, and we'll be working together on the site. I look forward to getting to know many of you. I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have about Internet Brands and our involvement with sites such as DVD Talk.

On a personal note in case it's of any interest, my favorite films include A Room With A View, A Trip To Bountiful and Princess Bride.
Old 10-30-07, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Welcome to the community, <b>McG</b>. Big fan of <i>Charlie's Angels</i>!

das
Old 10-30-07, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Welcome, John. As you can see, we're a tightly knit bunch here. Some have probably had a longer relationship with DVD Talk than they've had with real-world people. It's like that one place you can always count on... no matter how crappy life can be.

Anyhow I was curious if there is a timeframe you're looking at as to the conversion to the updated software and migration to the bigger servers?
Old 10-31-07, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Some people have gotten MARRIED from here.....scary, huh?

Will there be any cross-promoting or infusion of other brands of IB into DVDTalk? I'm concerned with this place becoming a shill for other forums and vice versa.

-p

ps. Cidade de Deus, Chasing Amy, and Full Metal Jacket.
Old 10-31-07, 06:57 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
<---- Stll not changed to Enormous Genitals.
Old 10-31-07, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is there going to be a "getting hitched party"?
Old 10-31-07, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Does this mean the forum freezing up multiple times a day for the past few years will finally stop?
Old 10-31-07, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by das Monkey
Welcome to the community, <b>McG</b>. Big fan of <i>Charlie's Angels</i>!
McG? I hope you run websites better than you direct.
Old 10-31-07, 03:56 PM
Internet Brands

To answer a few of the questions posted here...it will probably be a couple months for both the new servers and the software upgrade, though the latter may take a little longer. This won't eliminate all slowdowns of the site, but it will certainly improve the performance.

Regarding cross-promoting other Internet Brands sites on DVD Talk, this is not something we do much of. In general, we leave the advertising on each site to be whatever is most well-targeted to the users of that site. This is usually a combination of things relevant by topic (movies on a film site, etc.) and in some cases other categories that are a good match for the demographics of users (financial planning on a business travel site, etc.) Because the biggest ad network used by us and most other sites is Google, their targeting algorithm often determines what ads get displayed on a given site.

If you have other questions, please let me know.

-- John
Old 10-31-07, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Do you like crackers?

Do you believe in hippos?
Old 10-31-07, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by JohnMcG
To answer a few of the questions posted here...it will probably be a couple months for both the new servers and the software upgrade, though the latter may take a little longer.
Whew! For a second there, I thought things were going to change

Old 11-01-07, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Will this result in a loss of power for the President and Vice President of Otterville? I'd hate to see them relegated to a mere figurehead status.
Old 11-01-07, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cool, maybe this will make it easier to get my user name changed ... since, well, now it seems only favorited members are allowed this access. Score 1 for the corporations!!

But enough about my personal indulgences, good luck to Geoff and the rest of the DVDTalk team. ... it's an excellent site, one which I hope stays mostly untouched for a very long time.

Last edited by visitor Q; 11-01-07 at 09:08 PM.
Old 11-01-07, 09:07 PM
Banned by request

Why would you want to change your username? Visitor Q is an amazing piece of work.
Old 11-01-07, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Why would you want to change your username? Visitor Q is an amazing piece of work.
Oh I hear you, Dan! And thanks for the notice. It's just the point. Just like the film, it can swing opinions two opposite ways. I was thinking something of a name more subtle and attempted this in the past a couple of times only to go ignored. It was a little discouraging, but hey ... I got over it. Sort of.

It just seems to me favoritism at play .. which is fine to a point. Such as life. But to a site where I've been a member for quite some time ... and, I'd like to think that I've contributed in some minor ways to help some fellow members ... just to fall on deaf ears when I've made such a "simple" request ..... well, it's a little off-putting. No big deal I suppose. I'd rather the access than the alternative ... so.
Old 11-01-07, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by visitor Q
Oh I hear you, Dan! And thanks for the notice. It's just the point. Just like the film, it can swing opinions two opposite ways. I was thinking something of a name more subtle and attempted this in the past a couple of times only to go ignored. It was a little discouraging, but hey ... I got over it. Sort of.

It just seems to me favoritism at play .. which is fine to a point. Such as life. But to a site where I've been a member for quite some time ... and, I'd like to think that I've contributed in some minor ways to help some fellow members ... just to fall on deaf ears when I've made such a "simple" request ..... well, it's a little off-putting. No big deal I suppose. I'd rather the access than the alternative ... so.
I don't think there's any favoritism in it. Most people who qualify to get their name changed haven't made much of an impression at all given the guideline that you need to have under 1,000 posts. You just need to make sure the request gets to the right person and, as there's not really a formal process to make the request, it seems as though the requests can fall through the cracks sometimes.
Old 11-02-07, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

A 50 under the table doesn't hurt either. "Oh, look... what's this I just found in my left pocket? Why, It's visitor Q's name change request!"
Old 11-02-07, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by visitor Q

Most of the people that have usernames changed past the 1k post mark are for obvious personal reasons (full proper name, marriage/divorce, etc.). A change just because you are bored with it is not and should not be allowed.
Old 11-02-07, 08:24 AM
Banned

Now this purchase has made the news! As a top story!!! From Home Media Retailing:

Review Site DVDTalk Sold
Author: CHRIS TRIBBEY
[email protected]
Posted: November 1, 2007
Email this Story to Friend

DVDTalk.com, one of the top DVD review sites in the United States, has been sold.

California’s Internet Brands, which owns numerous automobile and housing Web sites, purchased the site as its first home media site.

“Users of our sites are passionate about their hobbies, and DVDTalk users live and breathe DVDs,” said John McGant, GM of the travel and leisure division of Internet Brands. “We think that DVDTalk’s thriving community and vast content make it an ideal fit within the Internet Brands family.”

DVDTalk, founded in 1999, has more than 20,000 DVD, HD DVD and Blu-ray reviews, mostly done by regular contributors to the site. Regular podcasts are featured on DVDTalk Radio, and numerous columns discussing film genres are updated each week. User forums attract thousands of posts daily.

“We’ll use [Internet Brand’s] resources to enhance the DVDTalk experience for our users, keep pace with the fast-changing home entertainment industry, and continue our leadership role with consumers for the next-generation high-definition formats,” said DVDTalk founder Geoffrey Kleinman.
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/ind...2&newsid=11473
Old 11-02-07, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Congrats Geoff and good luck with the IPO.
Old 11-02-07, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hoping this acquisition goes well. To be honest I like the site exactly how it is now (with the exception of the Adult Forum spinoff), but if the changes aren't too dramatic I'm all for them.
Old 11-02-07, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Bandoman
<---- Stll not changed to Enormous Genitals.
if you beat them, they may swell
Old 11-02-07, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by WallyOPD
I don't think there's any favoritism in it. Most people who qualify to get their name changed haven't made much of an impression at all given the guideline that you need to have under 1,000 posts. You just need to make sure the request gets to the right person and, as there's not really a formal process to make the request, it seems as though the requests can fall through the cracks sometimes.
the easiest way to get your name or title changed.. is to make fun of the mods

of course, you may not be happy with what you get changed to

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.