Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Circuit City lawyers complain about ad prices posted in DVD Bargain Forum.

Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Circuit City lawyers complain about ad prices posted in DVD Bargain Forum.

Old 08-03-07, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
as many have noted... this heat has to be because of the PS3 news coverage... in addition the reason they are pissed off is noted above... it gives the consumer a serious edge in purchasing loss leader product. example:

i know from this forum 10 days in advance that a 42" TV is going to be on sale for 20% off - i then go into the store and purchase the tv for full price. i then go back on the first day of the sale and get a price match. since i have already secured the merchandise i have an unfair advantage over other customers - and cause a disruption in their financials... i am now taking profit back out of a sale that they have written as sold.

in addition - while some say this does not give competition a completive edge because their ad is also already printed and done by the time this info is published here - in some respects this is true because you can not beat their price in the paper - however it gives the competition time to adjust (suspected low price) dvd titles, and potentially adjust online store prices to beat the advertised price. this can drive customers into retail stores or generate online revenue by beating their price.

i can understand why they would not this info leaked. as far as speedy goes - from his posts i "assume" he works for some type of paper distribution - as he has access to many different ads. hopefully he has not signed any documents with his employer that can cause him trouble from this.
Old 08-03-07, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 532 Likes on 378 Posts
Well, I'm lucky if I get a CC ad once a month in my Sunday paper. I've never figured out why (any other Springfieldians notice this in the SJ-R?). Occasionally an ad will be missing, but I can count on CC to be there only once a month. If I don't see Speedy's posts I won't bother. I'm not messing with looking ads up on their website. If it isn't convenient for me to see it here or in my Sunday paper, it isn't convenient for me to go there. I never "blind shop" for anything. If I don't have an idea of who has it and what it will cost me then I don't go there randomly looking for it.

As for the arguments in favor:

"A customer can purchase something two weeks ahead knowing that he can get a price adjustment." Whether or not I know it will be on sale two weeks from now does not affect me getting the price adjustment. I would get the same adjustment either way. The company loses no more or less money. If they didn't have enough product to go around in the first place (the "secured merchandise" argument) then they shouldn't be running the ad in the first - this tactic is merely bait and switch which is illegal in all states. But hey, what protection can we really get?

As for the bonus 10%, have you ever tried to get a company to live up to that guarantee?! In all reality my local CC was very good about giving the 10% - only a few times did I have to complain. But most stores are not so easy to deal with.

As for the "competitive edge" argument, in the day and age of price matching that argument is as viable as nipples on males. It doesn't matter if I know 2 weeks ahead or 2 hours ahead, almost every major retailer still price matches. (See "Store Policies argument immediately below.)

But that leads into the same "cherry pick the loss leaders" argument -- nobody forces these stores to sell products at the costs that they do. Nobody forces them to have a 110% price match policy. This is the same flimsy candy-ass crap that BB did with their "Devil Customer" campaign: Don't make the rules and then whine and bitch when people play by them! If you don't want to lose money selling "300" for $13.99 then don't! I'll by it somewhere else and you will be happy since you didn't lose money. If you don't want to give up the extra 10 cents then eliminate YOUR policy.
Old 08-03-07, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 532 Likes on 378 Posts
Originally Posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
Wal-mart backed down on similar threats:
http://news.com.com/2100-1023-976296.html
From that article: ... Wal-Mart claimed copyright on a compilation of facts, an approach the U.S. Supreme Court rejected in the 1991 Feist v. Rural Telephone Service case. The 9-0 opinion said that republishing facts "cannot constitute infringement" under copyright law.

Good thing, otherwise I just infringed on the Supreme Court!
Old 08-03-07, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
How stupid. They pay money to have their ads in the paper. They're posted here free, and many of us buy a lot, and they actually complain about it. I won't be going there anymore (easy to say, they are a terrible store and I only ever go there when I see something Speedy posted I find irresistible).
Old 08-04-07, 12:05 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is something that should be sent to the news outlets. Is almost unbelievable that Circuit City is threatening with legal action a site that gives them free publicity and business through its members. What bunch of inept businesmen are running that store? And the fact is that Circuit City doesn't have a leg to stand if they follow with a suit, since nobody at DVDTalk has posted pics of their ad in the forum.
Old 08-04-07, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

im not sure if all the speculation, criticism, cursing, and so on really help any. but oh well imho...

Originally Posted by JoN8282
...it gives the consumer a serious edge in purchasing loss leader product. example...
that sounds like a great point. but i am hesitant to guess that thats the sole reason. i might be wrong, but im thinking this aint a significant problem that circuit city is trying to deal with.

Originally Posted by Ginwen
How stupid. They pay money to have their ads in the paper. They're posted here free...
i actually think this may have something more to do with it. i think maybe. possibly. since circuit city has ads in the newspaper, im thinking circuit city must depend on and believe in those ads to drive customers in store. it kinda makes sense to me in a weird way.
Old 08-04-07, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hindolio
i actually think this may have something more to do with it. i think maybe. possibly. since circuit city has ads in the newspaper, im thinking circuit city must depend on and believe in those ads to drive customers in store. it kinda makes sense to me in a weird way.
I almost commented on the newspaper ads in a CC complaint thread yesterday. I get the Sunday paper every week, and I'd say on average per month I get 1 CC ad in the paper.

On the other hand, maybe 1 or 2 times a year the BB ad doesn't show up.

I've contacted the paper about this and they say the problem is with the store chain itself.

I can't speak for other paper subscripers, but the unreliable nature of CC ads reflects greatly on how the place is run once you step in the door.
Old 08-04-07, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think it still needs clarification, in the sense of...are we allowed to post early prices still?
Old 08-04-07, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

CC is a dump anyway. The will list a loss leader price on an item, then have like 1 in stock in the store. After their getting rid of compitent sales people debacle, this just adds another reason not to go there.
Old 08-04-07, 02:17 AM
Registered

Again I ask patience. I'm working our side of this whole thing and hope to have more clarity on what the next steps are in the next week or so.
Old 08-04-07, 02:35 AM

Thanks Geoff.

Hey, at least you have the supreme court on your side in a 9-0 ruling.
Old 08-04-07, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Now I have to shop at Best Buy on principle. I may just stick to online stores.
Old 08-04-07, 02:54 AM

^ Honestly, best place to shop.
Old 08-04-07, 02:56 AM
Cool New Member

HEY CIRCUIT CITY! This was ACTUALLY helping you GAIN customers. By showing us weeks in advance that you had the best price, we planned to spend our money in YOUR store.

Now, we can only compare Target and Best Buy. Guess you lose out.
Old 08-04-07, 03:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I used to never go to Circuit City due to them having a crappy selection. But thanks to Speedy's posts; I have actually been over to Circuit City recently. Getting to read the ads early has helped me budget easier the next week or two. This Tuesday will be my last day going to Circuit City to get TMNT with the bonus action figure. I would of started now, but I promised my brother that I would get him the one with the figure for him. Unless Speedy is allowed to post the info on the ads again I WILL NEVER SHOP AT CC AGAIN!!!
Old 08-04-07, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Now I have to shop at Best Buy on principle. I may just stick to online stores.
I agree

Cir.... no I'm not going to advertise for them, that other electronics retailer just died in my mind!!!!
Old 08-04-07, 04:09 AM

I hope the lawyers and CC reps are reading this. The only reason I come into this store is because of these ads posted on this website. I donít get a newspaper. I hate going into your store it is a joke. Trying to find anything is basically a waste of time, nothing is in order and no one is around to help. Not to mention only one check out line is ever open.

Do something about your poor store performance before you try to stop someone from providing a service that will generate interest in your merchandise. This is free advertisement for CC.

Another reason for me to shop else where.
Old 08-04-07, 04:28 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 144 Likes on 117 Posts
I hope this won't affect the early posting of Circuit City's going-out-of-business sale prices
Old 08-04-07, 05:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
I wonder if this is fallout from speedy's posts a few weeks back breaking the PS3 pricedrop news... I remember a lot of publicity from that.
It probably is, but the irony is that Speedy's thread motivated me among others to purchase a PS3 at Circuit City that week. What a joke.

Dear Circuit City, the consumers are not your enemy.
Old 08-04-07, 05:19 AM

by default i only buy dvds through the internet and i do not get any newspapers or bb/cc/target ads in the mail. so the only way i ever buy anything at those places is through speedy's posts.

even if bb/cc/target posted their ads on their own webpages, which i think they do, i wouldn't go there to view them. the pages are bloated, ugly and aren't apart of my regularly visited pages. dvdtalk's forum is.

basically it's here or nowhere that i see their prices. their loss $$$, not mine. it'll essentially be like those stores don't exist to me.
Old 08-04-07, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by allstater4by800
I hope the lawyers and CC reps are reading this. The only reason I come into this store is because of these ads posted on this website. I donít get a newspaper. I hate going into your store it is a joke.
Same with me. I hadn't stepped foot inside a CC for about a year until I started routinely checking speedy1961's postings of the CC weekly ads (which, I might also add, was the entire reason why I made this account and joined this forum). But over the past five months of browsing the weekly ads posted here, I figure that I've bought 16 movies (of my 190 total, almost 10%) from CC, and I expect I'll be heading there again this Sunday to buy probably 5 more (that I, of course, learned about from the "illegal copyrighted" postings in question). Last year I was a freshman in college and my university doesn't really permit freshmen to have cars on campus, so I'd have to plan special trips to ride the city's public transportaiton system to get to my local CC, and speedy1961's advance heads-ups were invaluable to me.

By the way, Geoff, I know I ain't anybody but I'd like to state my support for you, whatever ends up happening, because I understand the position you're in and I appreciate the site.

Last edited by wilky61; 08-04-07 at 06:39 AM.
Old 08-04-07, 07:06 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts
Bring on "Carboard Castle"!!!
Old 08-04-07, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If I were Circuit City, I'd be more concerned about Best Buy kicking my ass in sales as opposed to a few DVD Talk members finding out which $3.99 dvds will be on sale a week early.
Old 08-04-07, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Many people in this thread are saying that they only go to CC because of the sale ads listed on this website. But if you only go to CC to purchase loss-leaders, then CC is losing money due to you. I doubt they want your business.
Old 08-04-07, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 184 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Goldblum
Many people in this thread are saying that they only go to CC because of the sale ads listed on this website. But if you only go to CC to purchase loss-leaders, then CC is losing money due to you. I doubt they want your business.
So it's our fault that CC put something on sale at a price they chose, we bought it and CC is losing money??? Boo-hoo. Don't sell loss-leaders then.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.