Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Circuit City lawyers complain about ad prices posted in DVD Bargain Forum.

Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Circuit City lawyers complain about ad prices posted in DVD Bargain Forum.

Old 08-12-07, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good luck to dvdtalk..man i hate lawyers!! there is nothing going on that's wrong!!!
Old 08-12-07, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by ANT
Actually Bestbuy don't do that they only match the price but no 10% perk. Walmart has 110% policy but most time they don't even carry the same stuff as Circuit City or Bestbuy. On the other hand, not only do Circuit City 110% match competitor's price, but they also 110% match their own pirce within 30 days. So for me, Circuit City has become the best place to shop ever since I found this forum.
Come on kid. It takes 30 seconds to double-check your facts, why do you post baloney? Bestbuy does pricematch 110%.
BestBuy Store Price Guarantee
If you are about to make a purchase and discover a lower advertised price offered by a local retail competitor on the same available brand and model, let us know and we'll match that price on the spot.

Already bought? We'll refund you the price difference, plus an additional 10% of that difference up to 30 days after your purchase.
If you have really been getting 110% of the difference from CiCi on CiCi purchases, then your store is not following corporate policy. Your story is starting to smell fishy.
Circuit City Price Guarantee
Q: Will Circuit City match its own prices?
A: Yes, if you purchase an item from us (in-store or on circuitcity.com) and we advertise the same item at a lower price within thirty days of your purchase, we will refund you 100% of the price difference. Bring the advertisement and your original sales receipt to your local Circuit City for the refund.
Old 08-12-07, 07:49 AM
ANT

Originally Posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
Come on kid. It takes 30 seconds to double-check your facts, why do you post baloney? Bestbuy does pricematch 110%.
If you have really been getting 110% of the difference from CiCi on CiCi purchases, then your store is not following corporate policy. Your story is starting to smell fishy.
Read again! Bestbuy only match the price at the time you purchase while CC beat the price by 10% (go to any CC store, the 110% match policy is on their wall)

Last edited by ANT; 08-12-07 at 07:54 AM.
Old 08-12-07, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The 110% at BestBuy is for prior purchases only, and sometimes Best Buy will invoke that portion of the clause, other times they won't. So I guess BestBuy does technically require another stop if you will at the Customer Service line. For DVD buyers, that 10% is usually not even worth being argued about because it works out to like 10 - 20 cents usually.

Speedy's first amendment rights (and DVDTalk's ability to be a place for him to express those rights) could be a defense to whatever Shitty is cooking up after they get his name, so the fact that Circuit Shitty is not a state actor is irrelevant - this case does involve First Amendment rights
Old 08-12-07, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

On another note, I'm sure Circuit Shitty knew about these ads for a long time, it was probably Sony that threatened to withold product or advertising support because of the PS3 price drop scan (that I don't even think originated here) So Shitty is doing this probably to appease Sony, thats about it.

Shitty is got enough to worry about instead of spending money on a legal suit that will land up costing them some big bucks in legal fees that going after Speedy. So I blame Sony and you should too.

Last edited by chanster; 08-12-07 at 08:21 AM.
Old 08-12-07, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think that the position that DVDTalk should now assume is that this is no longer about accepting the conditions of a Cease and Desist order as they might have if that were the course of action that CC choose. Fatwallet fought this issue earlier and won (permitting hand keyed entries of advance sales info), so DVDTalk can realize the same outcome if they take this matter to court and sounds like that's their intention.

On 110% price match: I've rarely had any success at getting anything more than a 100% PM at BB and to try to get the additional 10% would require a trip to the Customer Service counter. At CC if I bought something early and the price drops, when I go to the CSR, I'm usually given 110% automatically without having to ask for the extra 10%.

As for buying up all the Wiis at CC with a 110% PM and flipping them on E-bay: A lot of "kids" seem to take advantage of the system and I think that the retailers should find a better way to manage their sales but that's their problem. At BestBuy a while back I was in line at opening on a Sunday to buy a laptop and there were two kids in front of me. The one was just a stand-in and the first kid wanted to pay for both laptops with the same E-bay credit card. They refused to let him do it so he then pulled out $500+ in cash. They let him complete the purchases.
Old 08-12-07, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What a bummer. It sucks that things ever have to come down to this. It just doesn't make any sense. I'm not going to lie--I will probably continue to shop at CC (mostly for their video game price drops), but when I can, I do shop elsewhere (mostly due to the same complaints everyone else has--poor organization, having to check out at Customer Service, etc.). I don't understand why CC would take the course of action that they have chosen, because obviously, it's only going to hurt business. If we don't get a Sunday paper, and I don't have an ad in-hand or have the knowledge of a particular sale/price-drop exclusive to CC, then I'm just not going to take the time to bother. If anything, DVD Talk and speedy were doing them a service and getting people out to their stores. Ugh.
Old 08-12-07, 11:53 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
the CC by me, which is only yards away from BB is utter crap. it used to be real good especially for DVD's. now, they have like 2 or 3 aisles of mismatched, un-alphabetical dvd's that are so not taken care of. this might just be my store, but the whole atmosphere in there is stale and it doesn't help that the ac doesn't work most of the time. it is kept like crap, you feel like crap in there, and yet i keep buying the crap. prob the only reason i went there was bc i saw the ads here posted prior and knew what to expect. now i don't even want to bother rummaging the paper on sunday to find out. what a world!
Old 08-12-07, 11:55 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by billrubin
So now that it's after midnight can someone post the deals? Is Madden being sold for less than list price?
Why in the world would anyone key them in on Sunday? All of us can just go to the websites and see all store ads.
But if you think it would be useful go for it.
Old 08-12-07, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
Why in the world would anyone key them in on Sunday? All of us can just go to the websites and see all store ads.
But if you think it would be useful go for it.
exaclty. it would take even less time to get this...actually go to the store and get an ad for yourself to enjoy. have at it!
Old 08-12-07, 12:47 PM

I was thinking about going to CC today and ended up not going because of the bad taste in my mouth about this whole thing. And it occured to me, although I know not everybody would stay strong and keep it up, but if we all pledged to stop going there, as much as we all buy, we might actually make a difference in their bottom line.
Old 08-12-07, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by ANT
Read again! Bestbuy only match the price at the time you purchase while CC beat the price by 10% (go to any CC store, the 110% match policy is on their wall)
Which has absolutely nothing to do with the scheme you posted which was to pre-buy large volumes using the information that speedy posted and then come back for the 110% pricematch once the sales went into effect.

I'm really getting the feeling that your claims to have done this many times are fallacious considering this is the second continuity error you've made.

Last edited by Jah-Wren Ryel; 08-12-07 at 02:48 PM.
Old 08-12-07, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Vendetta-AKK
I was thinking about going to CC today and ended up not going because of the bad taste in my mouth about this whole thing. And it occured to me, although I know not everybody would stay strong and keep it up, but if we all pledged to stop going there, as much as we all buy, we might actually make a difference in their bottom line.
I was thinking the SAME exact thing as you......word for word. I've already stopped going there for months because it's very far from my house.
Old 08-12-07, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I pledge to keep on going there. Viva la revolution!
Old 08-13-07, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by videophile
A couple of years ago Best Buy and other stores send "cease and desist" letters to many web sites. DVDTalk complied and in their forums people are no longer allowed to post those ads early. ...

So it has been shown that a simple request is enough to stop action that they do not like. Yet they didn't even try that, and that's what has many people in this thread angry.
I wonder if that decision to comply was made without the attorneys in DVDTalk's case. If so, could that action provide a basis for CC saying they are right? If an entity stops an action based on a demand letter, are they indirectly agreeing to the accusation held therein? After all, early ads at any time are no different than Black Friday ads.

I wonder if that Black Friday decision (if done with no legal input) has now jeopardized any footing DVD Talk wants to take now.
Old 08-13-07, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by cwwallace
I could occasionally overlook the poor lighting and organization, the bad dvd selection and horrendous cd selection, the empty cashier stations, and the employees with zero product knowledge and actually shop at a CC. Then there's the maze of wireless communication accessories that seem to form a line near the only place one can "check-out" in the store--the customer service area. The same line that accepts returns, exchanges, in-store pickups, and warranty information. Why wait in line for 15 minutes to save sometimes $1.00 to $2.00? Screw CC.
Exactly! This situation with Speedy is just another reason I won't shop at CC.
Old 08-13-07, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
It should be safe to key them in on Friday or Saturday. A lot of people get Sunday circulars days before the Sunday paper.

A long time ago I worked at a newspaper and would always see next week's circulars hanging around. The information is in enough hands that it can't possibly be contained. I guess we'll see more "Guaranteed Lowest Price!" ads coming.
Old 08-13-07, 01:20 PM

Any news regarding a possible lawsuit targeting our hero speedy1961?
Old 08-13-07, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Why would someone be able to get a 110% pricematch on a Wii, that doesn't make sense because I don't think anyone else is selling it for below $249.99.
Old 08-13-07, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by wilky61
Any news regarding a possible lawsuit targeting our hero speedy1961?
They most likely don't want Speedy. They want the people behind Speedy.

Unless of course Speedy is his own source.

Or maybe, there is no Speedy.
Old 08-13-07, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've avoided CiCi as much as possible since the whole DIVX fiasco. This certainly won't help bring me back into the store.
Old 08-13-07, 05:51 PM

I would not be surprised if more stores start complaining about the bargains forum in the future. It's not so much the advance posting of prices, which I think is more of an annoyance than something they really consider a big problem. The resulting threads from the advance pricing often develops into issues that would really irritate the stores.

For example:

1) The PS3 price drop advance notice led to some people going out to buy early and then pricematch with 110% price guarentee later.
2) The Best Buy price misprint on the Die Hard DVD collection led to a whole thread on pricematching/reaming CC to get the set for roughly a 70% discount from the correct store price.
3) Currently, the thread of the free Superbad movie ticket with select DVD purchases has people trying to come up with ways to return the DVD and get the movie ticket essentially for free.

Even without the forums, the stores have to deal with these types of things happening regardless. However, the forums really organize and spread the information causing the stores to have to deal with these situations more. With situations like #2 and 3, the stores are partly to blame for letting people exploit them, however, the bargains board threads often go into detail about tactics to use, which stores haven't caught the mistake yet, which stores have the stock to take advantage of, etc. While individual cases of these exploits will always happen, the bargains threads certainly make it more widespread. In some causes, some thread posters practically encourage the activity and help others justify taking advantage of the exploits.

I just can't see any of the stores being happy about threads going that far.
Old 08-13-07, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by lgchan
I would not be surprised if more stores start complaining about the bargains forum in the future. It's not so much the advance posting of prices, which I think is more of an annoyance than something they really consider a big problem. The resulting threads from the advance pricing often develops into issues that would really irritate the stores.

For example:

1) The PS3 price drop advance notice led to some people going out to buy early and then pricematch with 110% price guarentee later.
2) The Best Buy price misprint on the Die Hard DVD collection led to a whole thread on pricematching/reaming CC to get the set for roughly a 70% discount from the correct store price.
3) Currently, the thread of the free Superbad movie ticket with select DVD purchases has people trying to come up with ways to return the DVD and get the movie ticket essentially for free.

Even without the forums, the stores have to deal with these types of things happening regardless. However, the forums really organize and spread the information causing the stores to have to deal with these situations more. With situations like #2 and 3, the stores are partly to blame for letting people exploit them, however, the bargains board threads often go into detail about tactics to use, which stores haven't caught the mistake yet, which stores have the stock to take advantage of, etc. While individual cases of these exploits will always happen, the bargains threads certainly make it more widespread. In some causes, some thread posters practically encourage the activity and help others justify taking advantage of the exploits.

I just can't see any of the stores being happy about threads going that far.
are you, in fact, a CC lawyer?
Old 08-13-07, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,066 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by lgchan
You would think that the two or more weeks of discussion on that very topic here & elsewhere would have prepared BB & CC for that mistake.
Old 08-13-07, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598
are you, in fact, a CC lawyer?

Heh no. Several years ago, I'd probably would have been among those looking for those "morally grey" discount methods I mentioned. It's not something I do anymore though and CC is one place I don't shop at anymore since wasting 4+ hours there on a Black Friday due to their extra long lines leading to registers that would close or go "out of service".

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.