Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

TV Talk: Threads Discussing Bootlegs, Torrents, Illegal Downloads

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

TV Talk: Threads Discussing Bootlegs, Torrents, Illegal Downloads

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-07, 10:47 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I love how a member takes it upon himself to stage a "sting operation" and then complains here when the entrapment works.
Old 07-31-07, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dignam, you should read Dead's signature.
Old 07-31-07, 02:57 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dignam
There are quite a few posts mentioning illegal downloads and torrents. I started this thread hoping to avoid seeing torrent discussions again, but I guess that can't be stopped, and anyone discussing them can do so knowing the only thing that will happen is their post might be removed. From what I've read (and seen myself by not getting emails through the Exchange forum), the forum 'send email to' feature is very hit and miss. So unless someone reports it (and that report is actually received by someone), everyone is free to discuss illegal content.

Sorry for wasting anyone's time, I guess I should have left this issue alone and recognized the truth when I saw it:

"Welcome to <s>illegal internet download</s> TV Talk."
He cleared out the threads and, as is standard DVDTalk forum practice for years, asked you to notify him of any threads you see that violate policy. What more do you want? It's not like he gets paid to do this. The mods/admins here are all unpaid volunteers. I doubt there are many forums with moderators that read every single thread that gets posted, and it's expected that the members police themselves and help out where possible. They get to the stuff when they can and are notified.

Why not just do as he asked and you'll get what you want instead of insulting people who donate their private time to try and make the forums a useful and pleasant resource to use?

Also, just because a thread is reported doesn't necessarily mean that action will be taken on it. The moderators may feel that there weren't any rules broken or that the thread serves a purpose that justifies it's continued existence. And sometimes a forum's moderator had to take an unscheduled break. That's life.
Old 07-31-07, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 416 Posts
This thread is a joke, right? Dignam is just kidding, right? Nobody could possibly be that self-righteous, right?
Old 07-31-07, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by LurkerDan
This thread is a joke, right? Dignam is just kidding, right? Nobody could possibly be that self-righteous, right?
Calling out the other members like that by name is just way, way uncool for an online community.
Old 07-31-07, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Calling out the other members like that by name is just way, way uncool for an online community.
Oh the irony. and please, spare me. I didn't call him out anymore than the post of the high horse or SonOfAStu's post. Nor did I call him out any more than your post called me out. Is the issue that I used his name? What the hell difference does that make? When you see a post you don't like, or one you disagree with, you have posted in response. You have even -- gasp -- used their screen name (here's an example from yesterday: "Your ridiculous claims of threadcrapping aside, your are totally and completely wrong . . . . Sorry matta, you lose"). How's it feel to be way, way uncool?
Old 07-31-07, 05:52 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Yeah, but what are you going to do? Forget it, Josh: it's LurkerD*n.
Old 07-31-07, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by LurkerDan
Oh the irony. and please, spare me. I didn't call him out anymore than the post of the high horse or SonOfAStu's post. Nor did I call him out any more than your post called me out. Is the issue that I used his name? What the hell difference does that make? When you see a post you don't like, or one you disagree with, you have posted in response. You have even -- gasp -- used their screen name (here's an example from yesterday: "Your ridiculous claims of threadcrapping aside, your are totally and completely wrong . . . . Sorry matta, you lose"). How's it feel to be way, way uncool?
Hmm, when I saw DVD J*sh's response, I thought he was agreeing with your comment on the OP.
Old 07-31-07, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So did *.

das
Old 07-31-07, 10:32 PM
Banned

What happened to the Demonoid thread in Tech Talk? Skipped over locking it and just deleted the whole thing huh? That embarrassing that it existed for over 5 months?
Old 07-31-07, 10:50 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by SonOfAStu
What happened to the Demonoid thread in Tech Talk? Skipped over locking it and just deleted the whole thing huh? That embarrassing that it existed for over 5 months?
I didn't know what Demonoid was. I saw a reference to it in this thread, checked it out, noticed how many new members were signing up just to ask for invites and determined that it was inappropriate for the forum.

I also find your insuations and accusations in this thread uninformed and insulting.
Old 08-01-07, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ranger
Hmm, when I saw DVD J*sh's response, I thought he was agreeing with your comment on the OP.
really? I didn't read it that way at all, obviously, but if that was the way it was intended, Josh, I apologize.
Old 08-01-07, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I always wondered about discussion of torrents and stuff too, particularly the allusions to it in TV Talk as well as Music Talk, where albums are leaked early all the time and poster's have mentioned it.

Personally, I agree with the original poster for most instances as people are more then open about mentioning how they got certain media "from the ususal places" or mentioning them being leaked.
Old 08-01-07, 06:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by X

I also find your insuations and accusations in this thread uninformed and insulting.
Uninformed? Really? Please elaborate. Everything I've said is based on actual events and real threads that can still be used as a reference (well, except for one).
Old 08-03-07, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
From this week's EW:
Some of the fall's big new series are already playing illegally on a computer screen near you. So why aren't the networks fuming?

Piracy-or publicity?

Last week, a handful of buzz-generating fall pilots - like NBC's Bionic Woman, ABC's Pushing Daisies, and the CW's Reaper - were mysteriously leaked for illegal download on the Internet. And surprisingly, the networks aren't all that upset.

Though they continue to head off piracy by watermarking pilots that are sent to critics and advertisers months before the shows premiere, TV insiders admit that online leaks - even the unauthorized ones - aren't exactly the worst thing that can happen to a network. At a time when it's getting harder than ever to attract viewers (this fall, 29 new series will elbow their way onto the schedule), the common sentiment is that any kind of early attention is better than no attention at all. Which explains why studios including Warner Bros. screened the first hours of new shows like NBC's Chuck and FOX's the Sarah Connor Chronicles at Comic-Con.

While TV industry legal teams pull leaked pilots from the Web when possible, one network marketing chief admits to seeing a bright side: "Those alpha bloggers are a very influential group of people. It's important to get the message out there." The key, of course, is timing" A pilot that leaks too close to its premiere date could attract a smaller audience when it hits the airwaves. Still, the nets have no plans to keep ahead of pirates by streaming the pilots on their own websites - not yet, at least. "There's a sense of discovery online that consumers like," argues the marketing chief. "That sense of adventure would be lost if we started [posting]."
Old 08-03-07, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well if we can provide free advertising and marketing to TV networks, I'm all for it.
Old 08-03-07, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

SonOfAStu, how many times did you report that thread?
Old 08-03-07, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 724 Likes on 529 Posts
Unless you get a screener, and it's not available legally through the network's website, where else are they getting the episodes?
They screened the pilot of Reaper at Comic Con during the Kevin Smith panel (there was also a Pushing Daisies screening). I've been invited to numerous pilot screenings for focus groups (much like advanced screening for theatrical releases). And I've been to actual tapings of pilots (the last being "Americana" which never aired.)

I guess I'm out of the loop on using bit torrent to view episodes.
Old 08-03-07, 07:58 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Rogue588
From this week's EW:
Some of the fall's big new series are already playing illegally on a computer screen near you. Last week, a handful of buzz-generating fall pilots - like NBC's Bionic Woman, ABC's Pushing Daisies, and the CW's Reaper - were mysteriously leaked for illegal download on the Internet.
So the article is clear that despite comments from networks, the torrents are still illegal downloads. A 'network marketing chief' discussing a possible benefit from the illegal activity for an interview doesn't make those illegal downloads legal.
Old 08-04-07, 08:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Venusian
SonOfAStu, how many times did you report that thread?

You must be mistaking me for someone else. I haven't been sent on any crusades.
Old 08-05-07, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
So the article is clear that despite comments from networks, the torrents are still illegal downloads. A 'network marketing chief' discussing a possible benefit from the illegal activity for an interview doesn't make those illegal downloads legal.
A possible benefit? He said they won't post them because people like the "discovery" aspect of torrents. He says that the early downloaders are "very influential." He all but says, "please download our shows. We make so many shitty ones that if you show any interest we practically have an orgasm."
Old 08-05-07, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 08-07-07, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like the people involved with the shows are glad they got "leaked".

An anonymous Warner Brothers Television executive has admitted he helped leak the pilot of “Pushing Daises“, an upcoming TV show. His reason? He wanted to make sure the show “got out there,” and wanted to “help the cause.” The executive didn’t upload it himself; he got his neighbour’s kid to do it. And the kid was delighted to, because it pushed up his ratio on some private network.

Further evidence of TV studios embracing BitTorrent can be found in an interview with Jenji Kohan, the creator of ‘Weeds‘. The third season of Weeds was leaked around a month before it was to be aired on TV. Although another week is left before season three is broadcast to the world, hundreds of thousands of people from around the globe have already downloaded and watched episodes of it. And what does Kohan think of this? She’s glad her show’s gaining a larger audience: “Revenue aside, I don’t expect to get rich on Weeds,” she told Advertising Age jubilantly. “I’m excited it’s out there. Showtime is great, but it does have a limited audience.”
http://torrentfreak.com/television-s...ce-bittorrent/
Old 08-07-07, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
If you don't like the way a website is run, don't visit it. That goes for Torrent sites and here. The mods have always been "fair" about discussions and LIMITING actual knowledge of acquiring the boots.
Old 08-07-07, 10:40 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
If you don't like the way a website is run, don't visit it. That goes for Torrent sites and here. The mods have always been "fair" about discussions and LIMITING actual knowledge of acquiring the boots.

Read TV Talk. There are multiple threads and posts where people make no secret of their illegal activites. OPs even state the threads are "a heads up to let you know the episodes are out there. " This isn't a black and white issue, illegal downloading is illegal even if a marketing exec does an interview.

Search "torrent" by post, you'll get 478 results. Now imagine how many posters winkwinknudgenudge when asked how to view a pilot episode early, it's alot more than that.

If you don't like the laws of a country, don't live in it. Are your bags packed yet?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.