DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Forum Feedback and Support (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support-4/)
-   -   Deleting threads... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support/461419-deleting-threads.html)

LurkerDan 04-06-06 11:28 AM

Deleting threads...

So, a thread from yesterday was deleted, apparently. There was nothing offensive in it, so I can only assume that the thread starter deleted it (or perhaps asked a mod/admin to do it). I know that thread starters used to have the ability to delete their own threads, and I assume that power still exists.

I would like to ask, in the strongest terms possible, that this power be taken away. Once a thread is started, once we post, it becomes ours just as much as theirs. Sure, if something in the thread is offensive, or extremely personal/sensitive, I think it's ok to delete it if requested. But the thread starter should not have the unilateral power to delete, and if they request a mod/admin to delete, that mod or admin should only do so if there's a very good reason.

It's extremely annoying to put time and energy into responding to a thread numerous times, only to have someone decide for whatever arbitrary reason they don't want to play anymore.

The Bus 04-06-06 11:35 AM

I agree. Maybe set the post limit to 2 or 3 posts, but once it gets to a certain length, it shouldn't be removed unless it needs to be.

Which thread was it?

LurkerDan 04-06-06 11:44 AM

The property line dispute.

I am seriously annoyed that I took the time and effort to give the issue some serious thought, and to compose answers that tried to provide good advice, and all that time goes "poof" because the OP decided, for whatever reason, that he no longer wanted the thread to exist.

tonyc3742 04-06-06 11:47 AM

I'd agree with that. If he didn't want it to exist, either don't post it in the first place or delete it quickly. If he didnt' want to participate, then stop participating.
He can always go back and edit it too, as an option.

LurkerDan 04-06-06 11:52 AM

Here's a reason why I think it is wrong. Many people went through the effort to discuss "adverse possession" as a concept. Let's say 6 months from now, someone wants to know about adverse possession, and does a search. The posts that we made should show up. We took the time to write them, and they should not disappear, they should become part of the "knowledge base" that exists on these forums. If the OP doesn't like what people are saying, he's more than welcome to edit out his posts, but he shouldn't have the power to take our time and effort and expertise and make them disappear.

Bandoman 04-06-06 11:53 AM

I'm with LurkerDan on this - unless there is something offensive, such as a personal attack or other violation of forum rules, a thread should not be deleted on the say-so of the OP, especially if people other than the original poster have made some investment in the thread/issue. It shouldn't be up to the OP to simply delete a thread just because he/she doesn't like the way it's going.

kitkat 04-06-06 12:48 PM

I completely agree with this. I'm still P.O.'d by the loss of the 2,000+ post long Buffy thread.

Josh H 04-06-06 01:18 PM

I agree as well, but nothing was done in past issues.

I really think we need a forum rule that no threads over XX posts can't be deleted by the OP. Warning first offense. Suspension Second. Banning third.

Groucho 04-06-06 01:23 PM

The idea that a thread starter "owns" a thread makes no sense to me at all. If they can delete it, why not give them full moderation powers over the thread? (Suspension, banning, etc). :lol:

das Monkey 04-06-06 02:56 PM

LurkerDan

Let's say 6 months from now, someone wants to know about adverse possession, and does a search. The posts that we made should show up.

With our "search", chances are it still won't show up. ;)

<b>LurkerDan</b>, I think just about everyone here agrees with you on this issue, and we've complained about it many, many times over the years.

It's close to the point where I'd support vigilante justice on this issue. Once someone is caught doing this, he should go on a public shaming list, and the community should just never respond to any threads he ever starts again. I don't normally condone such behavior, but this happens way too often, and we need to find a way to stop it. Whenever I catch someone doing it, he immediately goes on my Ignore List as a reminder. Deleting the posts of other forum members (unless it's a mod/admin enforcing a rule violation) is just about the most disrespectful thing you can do on a forum like this, and IMO, it's far worse than the dreaded "personal attack", for which we have many rules.

I'm guessing the reason this has never been fixed is that vB does not have a built-in setting to accommodate this need?

das

NotThatGuy 04-06-06 03:03 PM

I didn't spend nearly as much time as LD did in the thread, but I did find the information contained within to be really useful, and now people won't be able to reference it if/when it comes up again.

-p

Josh H 04-06-06 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by das Monkey
I'm guessing the reason this has never been fixed is that vB does not have a built-in setting to accommodate this need?

That might make it tough to pull the thread back up, but in no means precludes having a rule against doing it.

Groucho 04-06-06 03:10 PM

I like the idea of a "Public Shaming List." :lol:

LurkerDan 04-06-06 03:18 PM

Ok, add Struz to the public shaming list then.

But seriously, why can't the mods, admins, and or the big cheese weigh in on this? Like Josh says, just because the forum software doesn't handle it doesn't mean there can't be a rule against it...

dork 04-06-06 03:19 PM

Another vote for a pubic shaving list. :up:

LurkerDan 04-06-06 03:19 PM

With our "search", chances are it still won't show up. ;)

that thought did occur to me! :lol:

mbs 04-06-06 03:19 PM

It does seem quite odd that one can delete a long post, but cannot edit the title of said post.

Perhaps the mods can undelete the post in question.

dork 04-06-06 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Warning first offense. Suspension Second. Banning third.

Poor Thor. He'd better hope this isn't applied retroactively.

LurkerDan 04-06-06 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by dork
Poor Thor. He'd better hope this isn't applied retroactively.

I remember that! :lol:

But deleting your posts isn't a problem. It's deleting a thread that is the problem (which I guess means the only post you shouldn't be able to delete is the original one, that one you can edit to nothing if you so choose).

pilot 04-06-06 07:41 PM

first I don't think there's any type of "built" in protection. we can either allow people to delete, or not delete. there's no "do not allow to delete after X amount of posts or time" we allow people to delete threads, because people make mistakes, people decide to delete a thread after they've sometimes asked a question and got the answer they want.. sometimes people will notice a mistake and just delete their post and make it again etc..there might be some addon... if you notice a thread that's got useful information, email a mod or admin and it can be undeleted, but if it's just some useless thread where it turned for the worse and you people just want to see the funny comments or throw shit at the original poster, and they delete it..well..maybe that's a hint that it went too far..anyways this only happens a few times a year so i'm not sure it's something that will be changed..

LurkerDan 04-06-06 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by pilot
first I don't think there's any type of "built" in protection. we can either allow people to delete, or not delete. there's no "do not allow to delete after X amount of posts or time" we allow people to delete threads, because people make mistakes, people decide to delete a thread after they've sometimes asked a question and got the answer they want.. sometimes people will notice a mistake and just delete their post and make it again etc..there might be some addon... if you notice a thread that's got useful information, email a mod or admin and it can be undeleted, but if it's just some useless thread where it turned for the worse and you people just want to see the funny comments or throw shit at the original poster, and they delete it..well..maybe that's a hint that it went too far..anyways this only happens a few times a year so i'm not sure it's something that will be changed..

Then take away the power entirely. It shouldn't fall upon people to have to ask a thread be undeleted. If a person wants a thread deleted, they can email a mod/admin for that. If they make a mistake, they can always edit out their posts too. It happens all the time. Or, in the alternative, as Josh has pointed out, just because the software doesn't allow for something doesn't mean DVDTalk can't make a rule about it. Nothing in the software prevents personal attacks or multiple accounts, yet DVDTalk has strict rules against those.

Nothing in the thread I am talking about "went too far". I honestly don't know why the OP felt the need to delete it. I do know that lots of people were giving good advice and he was ignoring the advice and worse, getting annoyed that some people weren't giving him the advice he wanted to hear. But there was nothing exceptional about the thread, there was nothing that would make an objective person think it needed to be nuked.

In any case, a number of people here have stated a rather strong opinion, and apparently this opinion has been expressed before. It is extremely frustrating to put time and effort into answering a question then have it all go poof. I don't think you should be so dismissive about it.

LurkerDan 04-06-06 08:46 PM

It's close to the point where I'd support vigilante justice on this issue. Once someone is caught doing this, he should go on a public shaming list, and the community should just never respond to any threads he ever starts again. I don't normally condone such behavior, but this happens way too often, and we need to find a way to stop it. Whenever I catch someone doing it, he immediately goes on my Ignore List as a reminder. Deleting the posts of other forum members (unless it's a mod/admin enforcing a rule violation) is just about the most disrespectful thing you can do on a forum like this, and IMO, it's far worse than the dreaded "personal attack", for which we have many rules.

das

If, as pilot suggests, DVDTalk doesn't care about this issue, then they shouldnt care about a public shaming list, right? I mean, if people have the right to delete threads with no repercussion, then we should have the right to inform others.

Pilot or someone else, I don't want to get into trouble, so I'll ask for permission: any objections to a public shaming list? It would just be a thread, and people get added if they do this. Those of us who care can have a link to the thread in our sigs...

IDrinkMolson 04-06-06 08:52 PM

LurkerDan is going to delete this thread, isn't he?

pilot 04-06-06 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
Then take away the power entirely. It shouldn't fall upon people to have to ask a thread be undeleted. If a person wants a thread deleted, they can email a mod/admin for that. If they make a mistake, they can always edit out their posts too. It happens all the time. Or, in the alternative, as Josh has pointed out, just because the software doesn't allow for something doesn't mean DVDTalk can't make a rule about it. Nothing in the software prevents personal attacks or multiple accounts, yet DVDTalk has strict rules against those.

Nothing in the thread I am talking about "went too far". I honestly don't know why the OP felt the need to delete it. I do know that lots of people were giving good advice and he was ignoring the advice and worse, getting annoyed that some people weren't giving him the advice he wanted to hear. But there was nothing exceptional about the thread, there was nothing that would make an objective person think it needed to be nuked.

In any case, a number of people here have stated a rather strong opinion, and apparently this opinion has been expressed before. It is extremely frustrating to put time and effort into answering a question then have it all go poof. I don't think you should be so dismissive about it.

Yes we have rules against attacks, etc.. This doesn't really fall in line with that in my opinion ..People here have the option to delete a thread if they don't like it, because we give people that ability... Just because other people don't like it doesn't mean it shouldn't be allowed... I'm not being dismissive, but we give people the right and permission to delete a thread.. Like I said before, it's easier on the mods & admins to allow people to delete, instead of not allowing.. It's too much trouble on our part to delete threads that people screw up all the time..and like I said before, this doesn't happen *that* often to warrant a change in my opinion.. I understand that people may not like it, but everybody can't have their way..Maybe X can chime in here but I don't think it's going to change..

pilot 04-06-06 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
If, as pilot suggests, DVDTalk doesn't care about this issue, then they shouldnt care about a public shaming list, right? I mean, if people have the right to delete threads with no repercussion, then we should have the right to inform others.

Pilot or someone else, I don't want to get into trouble, so I'll ask for permission: any objections to a public shaming list? It would just be a thread, and people get added if they do this. Those of us who care can have a link to the thread in our sigs...

I did not suggest we do not care about this issue. And a "public shaming" list is not advised. That will just create further problems. People will delete threads for fun just to piss off others. And it's not fair to be "publicly" ridiculed for something they are allowed to do by the forum rules, while it maybe annoying to some..