Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Politics and news forum

Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Politics and news forum

Old 11-08-05, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Is someone (other than me) deleting my posts in this thread?
Old 11-08-05, 10:49 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nemein
It's been 2 days... hardly enough time to make a judgement IMHO.
I think they were talking about the politics forum in general. Rather than this new change.

That it had pulled in more of the posters they don't like, rather than just isolating the political posters that were posting in other before it's inception.
Old 11-08-05, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I will probably visit Other a lot less if news was taken out of it.
Old 11-08-05, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by X
Removing those posts kept this thread open.
My bad. I just didn't even know that was what was happening... I thought it might have been a problem with my login cookie last night or something since I wasn't sure if the posts actually got posted or not, but I was pretty sure. I wouldn't have posted a second time if I'd known the first was removed. Thanks for the heads-up now, I'll refrain from jokes in feedback.
Old 11-08-05, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gkleinman
I don't think there's a real fundamental change here for Politics. I think general interest news should still go to Other. But Iraq/War/Senate/Supreme Court/Etc of course go into Politics and World Events.

I'm of the 'if it aint broke, don't break it' school of thought, and I think this name change was made to accomidate the fact that some threads which discuss heated issues outside of direct politics were making their way into that forum.
Why not just call it the Heated Issues forum, that wasy the goofy news stories can still be in Other to be ridiculed? And yes X, I am dead serious.
Old 11-08-05, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
This move sucks for all the reasons Dan went into.
Old 11-08-05, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, there is also the idea that a thread can be moved into Politics if it takes that turn. I've seen that happen before, particularly in between the Movie Talk and DVD Talk forums.

It seems like, when that happens with a news story thread in Other, the normal lifecycle of the thread is:

1) News story posted
2) News story appropriately discussed
3) Ideas related to the news story discussed
4) General political ideas discussed.

In most cases, everybody has gotten the news related aspects of the thread by the time that it's gotten to late in stage 3 or stage 4.

If a thread follows this pattern, I don't see why the story couldn't just be moved over to the Politics Forum when it was appropriate. If it doesn't (i.e., it stays on the actual news topic), then it stays in Other.
Old 11-08-05, 12:43 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
I have no problem with moving news stories to the Politics forum, but I do agree with those who have suggested that the moderation could be a little more heavy-handed in there.
Old 11-08-05, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I hate the idea of moving all news stories to the politics forum, because the politics forum needs some serious cleaning of house. As others have said, nearly every thread is just another reason to take cheap shots at the other side. No logic, no reason, no willingness to listen -- just vitriole. I was talking with one of my friends who also frequents DVDtalk and he said he can't even go in the politics forum any more. I understand that politics by its nature can get angry, but that's why there are mods and admins in the forum. There are 5-10 people -- on both sides of the aisle -- who should have been suspended several times each already, IMO. Getting rid of the repeat offenders would go a long way toward making it a useful forum again.
Old 11-09-05, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I don't have anything to add here, other than that I agree with the sentiment of the Political forum being a place not to wander into often, and that news should be kept in Other to keep it grounded.
Old 11-17-05, 02:20 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Politics forum keeps on keeping on with intelligent discussion of world events:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=445611
Old 11-17-05, 02:29 PM
Retired

Yeah, shit like that is nothing but out and out trolling needs to result in an instant suspension.

Especially when it's from long time members who keep doing it repeatedly.

We have a no thread crapping rule across forums, and no console bashing rule in video game talk, why not a no party bashing rule in Politics?

This wouldn't affect discussion, but just weed out clear troll posts like that one.
Old 11-17-05, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
We have a no thread crapping rule across forums, and no console bashing rule in video game talk, why not a no party bashing rule in Politics?

This wouldn't affect discussion, but just weed out clear troll posts like that one.

I second this. It should only upset people who can't have a discussion without saying "Democrats and liberals suck" or "Republicans and conservatives blow," and they should be kicked out, anyway.
Old 11-18-05, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
Politics forum keeps on keeping on with intelligent discussion of world events:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=445611
I honestly don't understand why anybody would want to go in there.
Old 11-18-05, 08:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dork
I honestly don't understand why anybody would want to go in there.
Because some of the discussions are actually fun and informative (and it's still leagues above what you find elsewhere IMHO). Each to their own I guess as personally I usually find the main Other forum a bit banal at times w/ too many cliques and inside jokes.
Old 11-18-05, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
I imagine this arose from the few individuals who feel the need to put a political spin on every single news story (usually in the form of a pot shot against the other side). Almost every news discussion lately gets derailed into a political discussion because of this.
I blame the left for this eventhough the right may have had a hand in it.
Old 11-18-05, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 560 Likes on 404 Posts
Originally Posted by nemein
Because some of the discussions are actually fun and informative (and it's still leagues above what you find elsewhere IMHO). Each to their own I guess as personally I usually find the main Other forum a bit banal at times w/ too many cliques and inside jokes.
and putting news in with politics just makes Other more so that way, and many of us (like dork) have no desire to "discuss" a news story the way people in the politics forum like to "discuss" things.
Old 11-18-05, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by uberjoe
I hate the idea of moving all news stories to the politics forum, because the politics forum needs some serious cleaning of house. As others have said, nearly every thread is just another reason to take cheap shots at the other side. No logic, no reason, no willingness to listen -- just vitriole. I was talking with one of my friends who also frequents DVDtalk and he said he can't even go in the politics forum any more. I understand that politics by its nature can get angry, but that's why there are mods and admins in the forum. There are 5-10 people -- on both sides of the aisle -- who should have been suspended several times each already, IMO. Getting rid of the repeat offenders would go a long way toward making it a useful forum again.
I agree with this 100%.

I was one of the stronger advocates for the creation of a Political Forum, as I assumed that I would be in there 95% of the time. It quickly became apparent that it was nothing more than a place for a handful of individuals to spout their party talking points and blind hatred of the opposition. To make matters worse, that kind of nonsense seems to go completely undealt with by the mods. Now, on average, I visit maybe once or twice a week and rarely post there.
Old 11-22-05, 08:28 PM
Retired

Another example of the dumbass party/ideology bashing thread craps that need to be banned.

"The purpose of welfare is to keep people dependent on it so liberals can feel happy about how much they care."

There's way to much of this kind of crap that is nothing but flame bait and adds nothing to the discussion. And as others have said, 95% of it is from blatant repeat offenders.
Old 11-22-05, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I opposed that forum and it became what I feared. I think it needs to be folded back into other and moderated with a strong hand. But then, just my opinion.
Old 11-22-05, 11:29 PM
Retired

I think it could be a fine forum, it just needs to be moderated (as you said) with a strong hand.

It was fine when it first started, but now there's just too many posts that are just pot shots at the opposing party/ideology and the mods are doing little about it.

There is some good discussion in the forum, but it often gets drug down by that kind of crap. And it could easily be improved by starting suspending people for such comments and banning repeat offenders.
Old 11-22-05, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I think some things would improve if "non-news" threads were discouraged.

Non-news threads would be like: Clinton's still a perv, the origin of the Democrats' donkey, news bias, CNN doesn't like Dick Cheney, etc, etc.
Old 11-22-05, 11:47 PM
Retired

I agree, as a lot of those are just party/ideology bashing type posts anyway.

But they don't bother me as much as the random bashing like I posted above as one can just avoid those whole threads by not clicking on them.

It's more disruptive when you have people bashing in a good discussion thread.
Old 11-23-05, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Another example of the dumbass party/ideology bashing thread craps that need to be banned.

"The purpose of welfare is to keep people dependent on it so liberals can feel happy about how much they care."

There's way to much of this kind of crap that is nothing but flame bait and adds nothing to the discussion. And as others have said, 95% of it is from blatant repeat offenders.

I don't see why blanket statements like that are permitted.
Old 11-23-05, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It should really be the Politics and Religion sub forum.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.