DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Forum Feedback and Support (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support-4/)
-   -   Why is &partner_id=59826076 being appended to a link in my signature? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support/435237-why-partner_id%3D59826076-being-appended-link-my-signature.html)

Morf 08-23-05 01:14 PM

Why is &partner_id=59826076 being appended to a link in my signature?

Thrice I have edited it, and each time, DVDTalk puts "&partner_id=59826076" into a link in my signature. What gives?

The Bus 08-23-05 01:26 PM

It thinks it's people.

pilot 08-23-05 01:32 PM

it's because of the automatic replacement we have set for dvdempire, certain combinations of characters will trigger a replacement

kvrdave 08-23-05 01:38 PM

Thanks, pilot&partner_id=59826076 :up:

Morf 08-23-05 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by pilot
it's because of the automatic replacement we have set for dvdempire, certain combinations of characters will trigger a replacement

It may be time to make this auto replacement smarter. Each time I edit my signature, it appends another partner_id entry. When I first noticed it, I had 6 partner_ID variables being passed through to another website. Shouldn't be too hard to at least look at see if the variable is already there, and not re-add it if it is...

pilot 08-23-05 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Morf
It may be time to make this auto replacement smarter. Each time I edit my signature, it appends another partner_id entry. When I first noticed it, I had 6 partner_ID variables being passed through to another website. Shouldn't be too hard to at least look at see if the variable is already there, and not re-add it if it is...

don't think it's smart enough to realize if it's already there..it just adds on ..not sure it's something we could "make smarter" ..it's probably something the company who writes the forum software would need to write to make it smarter..

Otto 08-26-05 03:42 PM

What's the exact character string being matched? Because in his case, it's adding the partner_id to a link to ratebeer.com, not to dvdempire.

Perhaps the matching string needs to include the actual site as part of the match.

Edit: My testing shows that anything with the word userid followed by an equals sign gets changed to partner_id=59826076&userid, followed by an equal sign. This seems like overkill.

Example: userid=
Yeah, all I types was userid-equals. You can test it yourself, it gets replaced just by previewing a post.

pilot 08-26-05 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Otto
What's the exact character string being matched? Because in his case, it's adding the partner_id to a link to ratebeer.com, not to dvdempire.

Perhaps the matching string needs to include the actual site as part of the match.

Edit: My testing shows that anything with the word userid followed by an equals sign gets changed to partner_id=59826076&userid, followed by an equal sign. This seems like overkill.

Example: partner_id=59826076&userid=
Yeah, all I types was userid-equals. You can test it yourself, it gets replaced just by previewing a post.

yes, it's what you quoted (user(i)d=whatever)...Geoff set it originally..he set everything in a dvdempire url to automatically be replaced for dvdtalk affiliate links..

unfortunately you can't specify a specific site to make it change, it's generic..any site that has useridEQUALSIGN will change..

Breakfast with Girls 08-31-05 08:47 PM

unfortunately you can't specify a specific site to make it change, it's generic..any site that has useridEQUALSIGN will change..

Well, you <i>can</i>... you just need to use a regular expression instead of the forum filter to do it.