Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Are we not allowed to have negative opinions and express them about attempts at art?

Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Are we not allowed to have negative opinions and express them about attempts at art?

Old 09-16-04, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 572 Likes on 413 Posts
Originally posted by Bushdog
I am smart enough to listen when someone says something strongly.
Bushdog, shut up and go to your room!
Old 09-16-04, 07:30 PM
Premium Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doing the best I can.

I still think that the post I made there we the right call. I know I used heavy language but I know most everyone in the thread and it was the mature so I though it was cool. But now I guess the heavy words maybe it made the point way too strong.

But the big picture is people should not say well its the internet its OK to be uncool to someone else.

And I totally agree that we have big issues in politics.
Old 09-16-04, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

to brett's comments. I'm very surprised that no bans/suspensions resulted (that I'm aware of).
Old 09-16-04, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

bfrank, FWIW, I skimmed through sarafina's thread after it got locked and I was glad to see you lay the smack down at the end.

To me, that thread was just a classic example of how one jackhole can turn what was a fun, risque thread into a huge argument.
Old 09-17-04, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 572 Likes on 413 Posts
Originally posted by bfrank
Doing the best I can.

I still think that the post I made there we the right call. I know I used heavy language but I know most everyone in the thread and it was the mature so I though it was cool. But now I guess the heavy words maybe it made the point way too strong.

But the big picture is people should not say well its the internet its OK to be uncool to someone else.

And I totally agree that we have big issues in politics.
bfrank, FWIW, I too didn't find your language heavy handed at all. And I completely agree with your stand.
Old 09-17-04, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by LurkerDan
bfrank, FWIW, I too didn't find your language heavy handed at all. And I completely agree with your stand.
You are so sucking up. Obviously we have another moderator wannabe in our midst.

-I gotta tell you it was alot of fun to start the day with the word "midst" for some reason.
Old 09-17-04, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by belboz
bfrank, FWIW, I skimmed through sarafina's thread after it got locked and I was glad to see you lay the smack down at the end.

To me, that thread was just a classic example of how one jackhole can turn what was a fun, risque thread into a huge argument.
You're telling me. It's sad, really. But sad enough to laugh at.

Anyway, you don't have to always be positive and like everyone and everything posted. But you do have to follow the rules of this board, and that states that personal attacks are prohibited. This doesn't mean you have to be nice and always compliment people. It doesn't mean you have to be friends with everyone.
It means just use plain common sense and if you think you're gonna post something that borders on a personal attack- don't do it.

And if you're gonna say something rude, do it the 'right way' and make it very vague. That seems to work for most people...

Constructive criticism over destructive criticism.
Old 09-17-04, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll just repeat what I wrote in the other thread. You have a right to state your opinion - my opinion wasn't particurly mean nor offensive. Yet I get the "white knights" of the forum, trying to tell me that my opinion isn't allowed. Get real, if you are going to post pictures of yourself on the Internet, you are looking for comments.

Except it seems that some people have taken it up themselves to believe that their opinion is the correct one and everybody else's opinion, whoever contrary to the original poster, is an abodinimation, a horrible name call and the such. Get real.

Ok it was better when we didn't see faces

Which first of all isn't a direct attack on anybody..I didn't call anybody ugly or whatever...then I get obsessive fanboys attacking me with comments like:

From RocShemp:

That was just mean, chanster.
From krkuhl:

chanster--if ever there was a more rude, completely heartless and hurtful inappropriate comment made on this forum, i havent seen it.
From Mr. Salty:

Your previous comment was one of the shittiest things I've read around here in a while.
Then you get people who say they know my intentions with the post. After that line of reasoning was exposed as the fraud it is, then they just say anything contrary to "OH MY GAWD, SO HOT" is a threadcrap. Makes 0 sense.

Last edited by chanster; 09-17-04 at 07:53 AM.
Old 09-17-04, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And you know, no one seems to give a shit that sarafina posted intimiate photos of somebody that didn't give their OK either. But thats lets just sweep that under the rug while you are at it.
Old 09-17-04, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
It means just use plain common sense and if you think you're gonna post something that borders on a personal attack- don't do it.
I wish people would use some common sense when posting subject that may be considered unsuitable. Say posting images of yourself on the interent that are half nude. Hey, who would have thunk that it would have gotten some sort of reaction. Both good and bad

Common sense would have told you that Homegrown would lead to drama. But hey, we haven't had any sort of experience in the past right.. I mean weren't you part of a little tiff against another member when they questioned your bust size? Seems like we have been down this road before. When will we realize that this sort of stuff doesn't end well?

Constructive criticism over destructive criticism.
Problem is.. any sort of criticism is considered destructive criticism, as chanster points out in the above post. It's a no win situation. And "OMG HAWT" is just the same as "OMG NASTY" because they are not adding much of anything to the discussion and if you said "OMG HAWT" to a co-worker at your work place, you would most likely be fired for sexual harrassment on the spot. Constructive criticism indeed.

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 09-17-04 at 07:49 AM.
Old 09-17-04, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
I wish people would use some common sense when posting subject that may be considered unsuitable. Say posting images of yourself on the interent that are half nude. Hey, who would have thunk that it would have gotten some sort of reaction. Both good and bad

Common sense would have told you that Homegrown would lead to drama. But hey, we haven't had any sort of experience in the past right.. I mean weren't you part of a little tiff against another member when they questioned your bust size? Seems like we have been down this road before. When will we realize that this sort of stuff doesn't end well?

Problem is.. any sort of criticism is considered destructive criticism, as chanster points out in the above post. It's a no win situation. And "OMG HAWT" is just the same as "OMG NASTY" because they are not adding much of anything to the discussion and if you said "OMG HAWT" to a co-worker at your work place, you would most likely be fired for sexual harrassment on the spot. Constructive criticism indeed.
This has nothing to do with me or any past tiffs. No need to make this personal, Jack. I wasn't insinuating anything or remarking about you in any manner.

I'm not going to get into a point/counter-point debate on this with you.

Because common sense says if I actually type out what I'm thinking, I'll be riding aboard the Banned Train...
Old 09-17-04, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I'm not trying to make it personal, I'm trying to state facts and situations where home grown pictures have lead to forum drama.

Ha, I see what you did there. You are thinking such nasty thoughts about me that you would get banned for such comments.. cause from what you posted above, it seems like you wouldn't have posted them anyways because as you said it:

"Constructive criticism over destructive criticism."

Riiiiiight?

Simply put. I'm not trying to get personal with you, I'm trying to point out that Homegrown pictures should be tossed out. This means forum users posting pictures of themselves nude or in situations that can be Not work safe for the simple matter that it leads to all sorts of drama.

then again, the forum could use more drama
Old 09-17-04, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
I'm not trying to make it personal, I'm trying to state facts and situations where home grown pictures have lead to forum drama.

Ha, I see what you did there. You are thinking such nasty thoughts about me that you would get banned for such comments.. cause from what you posted above, it seems like you wouldn't have posted them anyways because as you said it:

"Constructive criticism over destructive criticism."

Riiiiiight?

Simply put. I'm not trying to get personal with you, I'm trying to point out that Homegrown pictures should be tossed out. This means forum users posting pictures of themselves nude or in situations that can be Not work safe for the simple matter that it leads to all sorts of drama.
You know, I remember this time when a guy had a picture of himself and his girlfriend linked into his signature. Another member remarked stating the woman in the picture was 'fugly.' The person with the signature got extremely pissed and the shit hit the fan. Remember that?
Oh, I see what you're saying. As long as it's other people that *you* don't have a vested interest in, they deserve whatever insults they get. Now that makes sense.

Also, you've misinterpreted my post.. but that's okay. I'm not going to elaborate anymore because if you don't comprehend it now, you are never going to.
Old 09-17-04, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

HA HA HA HA. oh man whogirl. you are lame. Perhaps you should get your facts straight. I had hotaru in my signiture and the person randomly said something about her when they were trying to personally attack me (see, it was them trying to insult me... against forum rules rite rite?) and then I laughed about it, linked carrie to it and she laughed about it and we joked about it with the person that called her ugly. It was a laughing matter.

It was a fuck'n joke. You realize that? I doubt it, or you might have thought twice about mentioning it here because that example just does not apply. But really, if you want to try. Go for it. Once you get tired of that you may want to bring in something new and valid to throw at me for bringing in your little tiff with DTSC, which might I add was different. the guy who called carrie ugly wasn't given a time out from the forum because it was all a laughing matter. Where as you got pretty defensive about someone questioning your statement and they got a month off. See a difference? it's pretty fuck'n huge one.. isn't it? No action to a regular poster getting close to banned.

And as for your subtle little personal attacks. Just shut up already for fucks sake who. Oooh, I don't comprehend it now ooooooh ooooooooh, so you wont elaborate anymore? huur hurrrr Yeah, that really falls under your "Constructive criticism" bullshit double standard. You might as well grow some balls and actually just come out and say what you are trying to say instead of doing these stupid little subtle personal attacks.

I already made my statements about this plenty of times. You aren't getting what I'm trying to say and I wont change your view on it, nor do I give a crap to.

You want to insult me? DVDTALK may not have PM's, but a certain island does. Go ahead, you want to tell me off, You got some shit to tell me?.. knock yourself out. I'll be waiting for that pm. If not, then knock it off here. I'm trying to make a point here about homegrown pictures. I'm not trying to drag you into it, but you are one of the examples I remember where pictures posted on the net lead to forum drama. I would much rather not talk about you cause I really want nothing to do with you. But for the discussion, your SITUATION (get it, NOT YOU) comes to mind as a good example. But if you want to talk your shit, go for it. you know the pm address.

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 09-17-04 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-17-04, 10:36 AM
Registered

Closing this thread. It's gotten ugly fast.