Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

My friend would like to know why he's suspended

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-04, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You may know him -- Deftones -- he was suspended Friday night and nobody knows why. Some problems persist:

* Emailing mods -- not possible to acquire mod email addresses while suspended

* I emailed you guys (all the admins with ban/suspend power) on his behalf 36 hours ago with his email address just in case the one he had in his account was incorrect. Still no email.

* He emailed Geoff too. Still no answer.

Normally I wouldn't create a thread in feedback, but I have gone through proper channels and so has he and there has been absolutely no response.

Lock this as you see fit, but it had to be put forth in the open that Deftones has been trying to get a reason out of the staff here for two days now and has been ignored for some reason. I think two days is adequate time for a response, especially given that I've seen all the admins posting on the board in Other during this time.

I hope this is just a weekend oversight or an email that never made it and not an intentional thing.

Thanks.
Old 04-26-04, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was wondering, too. I didnt see anything worthy of suspension. I figure Barry Bonds had something to do with it.
Old 04-26-04, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Someone was supposed to email him, but I am guessing that did not happen. I will send him an email now.
Old 04-26-04, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by RandyC
Someone was supposed to email him, but I am guessing that did not happen. I will send him an email now.
Thanks Randy, you are super mega awesome.
Old 04-26-04, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Please. Just mega will do.

Old 04-26-04, 11:10 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: My friend would like to know why he's suspended

Originally posted by El Scorcho
I hope this is just a weekend oversight...

That appears to pretty much have been it. X left me a note asking that I send Deftones a message, but evidently X didn't realize that I was going to be gone for the weekend.

Sorry for the confusion. If he didn't get anything from Randy, let me know and I'll contact him... or if he's reading he can contact me at dead_dvdtalk @ yahoo.com
Old 04-26-04, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You have a friend?
Old 04-26-04, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Re: My friend would like to know why he's suspended

Originally posted by Dead
That appears to pretty much have been it. X left me a note asking that I send Deftones a message, but evidently X didn't realize that I was going to be gone for the weekend.

Sorry for the confusion. If he didn't get anything from Randy, let me know and I'll contact him... or if he's reading he can contact me at dead_dvdtalk @ yahoo.com
Why aren't these notes already made up and sent simultaneously with the suspension instead of these "suspend first, send emails when we get a chance" scenarios.

IMO, it makes you guys look bad when situations like this occur. I think it'd be better if you typed up whatever email you felt like you needed to send to the offending user, pressed the send button, and then immediately went over to your control panel and switched the suspension on.

Especially when the suspension involves something minor like a forum censor aversion.

Just my four cents.
Old 04-26-04, 01:32 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Re: Re: My friend would like to know why he's suspended

Originally posted by El Scorcho
Why aren't these notes already made up and sent simultaneously with the suspension instead of these "suspend first, send emails when we get a chance" scenarios.
In general, the person doing the suspension and the person sending the email is a different person. Usually a mod writes the email but only Admins can suspend. It would be a little silly to send out an email with "you'll be suspended when an Admin gets a chance to do it" rather than wait until after the suspension happens.
Old 04-26-04, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Are any of these really any better or worse than the other?

Randy Johnson is a ****ing loser
Randy Johnson is a fudging loser
Randy Johnson is a (imagine the f word spelled out her)ing loser

The meaning is identical in each one. Why do we censor words? Meaning is what is at issue, no?

Fudge you! is a personal attack
as is
**** you!

On the other hand

**** yea! Is an exclamation of strong happiness or agreement

Wouldn't context matter?

If you'd rather not address this topic in this thread, I'll be happy to start over as a new topic.
Old 04-26-04, 01:44 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
Can you test it out on El Scorcho? Please?
Old 04-26-04, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

fudge you bandoman!
Old 04-26-04, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mmmmmm... fudge.
Old 04-26-04, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I see where Bushdog's coming from re: profanity but frankly it really doesn't matter to me all that much. What I am concerned about though is policing ticky tack stuff like filter circumvention when there are people on this forum that are far more detrimental to the enjoyment of this forum by others.

I suppose it is significantly easier to hand out suspensions over things like filter circumvention or spamming because they're obvious infractions, whereas determining whether someone is a troll or not is a subjective decision.
Old 04-26-04, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't really curse, but I'm curious how the mods watch for violations of the swear filter - same way as personal attacks? Observation and "Report this post etc." Is the whole issue about members that get around the filter by typing a code between the word like xx[b.] [/b]xx or putting spaces between the letters. Or are the mods somehow able to see behind the ****?
Old 04-26-04, 05:24 PM
Mod Emeritus

Re: Re: Re: Re: My friend would like to know why he's suspended

Originally posted by AndyCapps
In general, the person doing the suspension and the person sending the email is a different person. Usually a mod writes the email but only Admins can suspend. It would be a little silly to send out an email with "you'll be suspended when an Admin gets a chance to do it" rather than wait until after the suspension happens.

Yup, that was exactly the case here. I couldn't actually flip the switch to start the suspension, but I was supposed to send the E-Mail notifying him about it. When the switch did get flipped, I wasn't around to do my part... the other mods thought it had been sent though.
Old 04-26-04, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by chrisih8u
I was wondering, too. I didnt see anything worthy of suspension. I figure Barry Bonds had something to do with it.
Just a guess but T H I S is probably why.
Old 04-26-04, 05:45 PM
Mod Emeritus

From 18 months ago....

.... http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=240889
We will begin issuing warnings for getting around the filter in this way. Repeated infractions may result in a suspension, or worse if you already have strikes against you. Profanity such as "BARK YOU" used as a personal attack will still result in an immediate suspension.
Old 04-26-04, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ok, you've shown me something written from 18 months ago. You've sufficiently proven what? Could you also list the number of such suspensions that have followed from this rule?

For that matter, if there are 10,000 of these suspensions, how does that address my question about why you care about a 'swear' word used in a non-attacking context? I think you've proven my point, which is context and meaning ought to matter, not what the word is, in and of itself. Or am I missing the meaning of your quote?
Old 04-26-04, 06:14 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I think it's not the word fudge, but how you use it:

I feel fudging great today! = OK

I feel like fudging goats today! = NOT OK
Old 04-26-04, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I still think the mods are concerned about both the use of swear words and their content. I doubt they would give a free pass to a member that said STF***U rather than STFU regardless as if it was a joke.
Old 04-26-04, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So we're saying that some words ought not to be used, even if in a benign context? A particular set of letters, in and of themselves is always inappropriate under all circumstances? Wow. Shit. I get it.
Old 04-26-04, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is just bringing up the censorship complaint. "Why do they (BLEEP) stuff out when it's obvious I could figure out what was said or read their lips?"

I get it. Take your foul-mouth agenda elsewheree, Bushdog!
Old 04-26-04, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My comment wasn't meant to be wiseassed to you. I was trying to work "shit" in naturally to make a point, btw.
Old 04-26-04, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What about when the swear word actually is essential to the story? Here's a true story:

I was teaching artificial intelligence techniques to foreign Procter & Gamble employees in 1987 while in Brussels, Belgium. Most of them spoke pretty good English, but you could tell it was school learned English.

While teaching some programming skills to the Italian employee, he realized that some of his code would simply not work. I looked at him and said, "Nope, it won't work at all."

So he replied, "So I guess I'm ****ed."

I said "WHAT did you say?"

He said, "I guess I'm ****ed."

I thought a minuted and said, "Oh, wait, you mean you're SCREWED?"

He replied, "That's what I just said!"

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.