DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Forum Feedback and Support (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support-4/)
-   -   Rudeness getting out of hand (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support/341177-rudeness-getting-out-hand.html)

DavidH 01-14-04 11:44 AM

Rudeness getting out of hand

I have noticed an increasing trend of rudeness and hostility on the forum. I have been receiving it much more lately --- when I have been doing nothing in the way of insulting or attacking anyone (though I will repsond to someone who starts such a thing with me). Maybe it's time the moderators start cracking down on such individuals. I do know this forum is more free than others, but it seems the trend of rudeness is getting worse.

Mopower 01-14-04 11:55 AM

Sometimes you just have to shrug it off and take everything with a grain of salt. It's hard to convey what attitude someone is in with words. It's easy to take things the wrong way especially when something is met to be a joke. I hope your not talking about the "Other" forum. Rudeness is a fine art in there. :lol:

Josh H 01-14-04 12:57 PM

I've noticed it as well. Just ignore it, don't reply to it and make matters worse, and use the "report this post to a moderator" and hope they start dealing with it more severly.

DavidH 01-14-04 01:15 PM

I'm usually in the software forum and that's where I've noticed it lately.

neiname 01-14-04 01:17 PM

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=272503

Josh H 01-14-04 01:22 PM

That threads a good start, it just needs spread to the rest of the forums, as plenty (myself included) don't go in Other, and rudeness is a major problem in several other forums.

Alyoshka 01-14-04 02:24 PM

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
That threads a good start, it just needs spread to the rest of the forums, as plenty (myself included) don't go in Other, and rudeness is a major problem in several other forums.
I think that overall (amount of positive posts compared to rude or attacking posts) the "Other" forum probably has the best community and is the friendliest out of all the forums. There is a huge problem in many of the other forums.

chanster 01-14-04 03:06 PM

I think a lot of people's patience are wearing thin for a lot of subjects:

My personal pet peeve is folks posting thread about obvious bootlegs and asking if it is legit. I would say, based on previous posts of members, they KNOW it is NOT LEGIT. Its a joke, and I am not sure why people continue to post these threads.

I think people asking questions like that should be suspeneded immediately.

Josh H 01-14-04 03:18 PM

I see your point chanster.

Like every problem there are two sides to this in most cases.

A lot of rude replies, are due to flame bait type original posts.

Both need to be dealt with to resolve the issue.

Bandoman 01-14-04 09:37 PM

**** that.

joltaddict 01-14-04 09:41 PM

Bando brings up a good point. [nods sagely]

Static Cling 01-14-04 10:14 PM

Originally posted by chanster
I think a lot of people's patience are wearing thin for a lot of subjects:

My personal pet peeve is folks posting thread about obvious bootlegs and asking if it is legit. I would say, based on previous posts of members, they KNOW it is NOT LEGIT. Its a joke, and I am not sure why people continue to post these threads.

I think people asking questions like that should be suspeneded immediately.

What's obvious to some (like us) isn't obvious to others. Someone new on the DVD scene might just think that he found a good deal on some sort of box set, but he's wisely skeptical, so he registers an account and starts a thread. I know, some people who start threads on these things are more regular participants here, and maybe should know better. But if there are certain types on here that are within the rules of the forum but still really bug you, I suggest that you just ignore them and try not to think about them.

Preacher 01-14-04 11:17 PM

Use the ignore button. It will drive those who are trying to annoy you insane. ;)

I set someone on it and life is a lot easier. To me they do not exist at all.

Mutley Hyde 01-14-04 11:42 PM

Originally posted by BandoButters
**** that.

Originally posted by joltaddict
Bando brings up a good point. [nods sagely]
http://sysapps.nevada.edu/sysappsite...cartman_bg.gif

Screw you hippies, I'm goin' home! :p

Okay, okay, in all seriousness, I agree with you in principle, David, but I reserve the right to be a smart-ass to my fellow Otters... they expect nothing less of me. :D

Buford T Pusser 01-14-04 11:48 PM

Originally posted by Preacher
Use the ignore button. It will drive those who are trying to annoy you insane. ;)

I set someone on it and life is a lot easier. To me they do not exist at all.

Can you see my post Preacher? :p

Rudeness makes a religous head honcho cry. :(

das Monkey 01-15-04 08:42 AM

Yeah, don't be afraid of your Ignore List. There are a lot of people here; you can afford to ignore 1 or 30 of them. If someone attacks me personally and not my opinions, I just add him to my Ignore List and move on. If only people wouldn't quote these fools so much ... :p

das

Groucho 01-15-04 08:44 AM

I think the rudeness would lessen if less dipshits posted here.

G. Noel Gross 01-15-04 10:28 AM

Originally posted by Grouch094820 & 5/17
I think the rudeness would lessen if less dipshits posted here.
Or if said dipshits posted under their real names rather than SmackyTheFrog04. 10-4, good buddy.

Groucho 01-15-04 10:31 AM

I actually know SmackyTheFrog04 in real life, and believe it or not that is his real name! :eek: I agree that he's a dipshit, though.

The Antipodean 01-15-04 11:47 AM

I put groucho, jack and rypro on my ignore list once but then the forum was just one big blank page. :D

mllefoo 01-15-04 03:05 PM

Bando has a point. *nods sagely*.

Bandoman 01-15-04 03:26 PM

I had no ****ing point. **** off.

kvrdave 01-15-04 03:53 PM

Am I still in the Other Forum? -confused-

Phil L. 01-15-04 04:10 PM

Jeez, I expected to see a lot of replys in this thread... but nothing.

Humm...weird.

Bushdog 01-15-04 04:34 PM

Originally posted by kvrdave
Am I still in the Other Forum? -confused-
I hold you and make you feel safe. Err, I din't say that. :o