DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Forum Feedback and Support (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support-4/)
-   -   What's up with this "New Review" pic? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support/329553-whats-up-new-review-pic.html)

Numanoid 11-12-03 10:22 AM

What's up with this "New Review" pic?

This is the pic of the Dick Van Dyke set which appears in the New Review spot on the banner from time to time:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/covers/B00009VRF0.jpg

As you can see, the pic is kinda "widescreen" while the New Review spot is more 4:3ish. When displayed, the pic suffers from some serious squeeze issues, as such:

http://www.dpg.devry.edu/~carlsond/dvd.jpg

You can't even read the name of the DVD in that pic, IMO.

Is this a subtle commentary on letterboxing? :D

Adam Tyner 11-12-03 10:53 AM

All of the review images have a hardcoded width/height. If I don't directly specify a width/height, it has a tendency to intermittently break the layout. I could put the width and height in the Javascript that renders that random review link, but that .js file is already larger than I'd like, and including that additional information would make it larger still. I can do it, though, if there's any interest.

Numanoid 11-12-03 11:34 AM

I don't think it's going to bug people enough for that, it just always catches my eye as being really out-of-whack whenever it comes up.

Maybe it's a useful attention getting device. :D

Numanoid 11-12-03 11:36 AM

Actually, if you just cropped off the right-hand element (the back of the box) from the original pic, it would fit much better and be far less skewed. Let's face it, who's needs the tiny picture of the back of the box?

Adam Tyner 11-12-03 11:46 AM

Those pictures are automatically imported. They aren't touched by hand, though I suppose they could be.

DonnachaOne 11-12-03 12:26 PM

Originally posted by Numanoid
Actually, if you just cropped off the right-hand element from the original pic, it would fit much better and be far less skewed.
J6P!!!! FOOLSCREEN IS SUCKEKEKEKE!!!
;)

El Scorcho 11-13-03 10:57 AM

Hey there buddy. Just because bold and font size increases are available doesn't mean you gotta use them!

Buford T Pusser 11-13-03 07:50 PM

I thought there was a major booboo when I saw that pic.

The guy whose initials spell DVD surely deserves better.

DonnachaOne 11-17-03 10:31 AM

Originally posted by Buford T Pusser
The guy whose initials spell DVD surely deserves better.
Why did that make me laugh...

Buford T Pusser 11-17-03 02:02 PM

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Why did that make me laugh...
Hmmm. Must have been cuz I wrote it or maybe that it was funny or better yet, both reasons. :o

Sorry that wasn't so funny

Kinyo 11-18-03 06:43 PM

Why is everyone worried about ONE pic???

Buford T Pusser 11-18-03 08:22 PM

Because it's Dick Van Dyke!

Get with it Spielberg. This is the American Graffiti of 60's family TV!

Numanoid 11-19-03 03:14 PM

You know, his real name is Penis Von Lesbian.*

*Thanks to Mary Tyler Moore.

Buford T Pusser 11-19-03 05:35 PM

I've heard that, but this isn't PVL Talk so I don't care!

Bill Geiger 12-03-03 02:50 PM

A man walks into the Los Angeles office of a famous booking agent and tell the fellow he is an aspiring actor and would like help in landing some television roles. The agent says "we'll say what we can do. First I'll need to know your name." THe man says "My name is Penis Von Lesbian." The agent laughs and says "What a horrible name! YOu will never get a job as an actor with that name! YOu must change it." Penis VOn Lesbian replies "this name was my father's name, and his father before him, and HIS father before him, all the way down the line as far as anyone can remember. I simply will not change it." The agent tells mr. Von Lesbian that he cannot help him and shows him to the door. A few years later, the agent sits in the green room of a famous talk show. In walks Penis VOn Lesbian. "Hey man!" the agent says "what are you doing here?" Penis VOn Lesbian replies "why, Im here to be a guest on the show." THe agent looks at him in disbelief. "You actually got famo! us with that horrible name of yours?" "No" says Penis Von Lesbian, "about three months ago I took your advice and changed my name." "Oh really?" says the agent. "So what did you change it to?" The man formerly known as Penis VOn Lesbian smiles at the agent and says "My name is Dick Van Dyke"

Buford T Pusser 12-03-03 03:38 PM

Originally posted by Bill Geiger
A man walks into the Los Angeles office of a famous booking agent and tell the fellow he is an aspiring actor and would like help in landing some television roles. The agent says "we'll say what we can do. First I'll need to know your name." THe man says "My name is Penis Von Lesbian." The agent laughs and says "What a horrible name! YOu will never get a job as an actor with that name! YOu must change it." Penis VOn Lesbian replies "this name was my father's name, and his father before him, and HIS father before him, all the way down the line as far as anyone can remember. I simply will not change it." The agent tells mr. Von Lesbian that he cannot help him and shows him to the door. A few years later, the agent sits in the green room of a famous talk show. In walks Penis VOn Lesbian. "Hey man!" the agent says "what are you doing here?" Penis VOn Lesbian replies "why, Im here to be a guest on the show." THe agent looks at him in disbelief. "You actually got famo! us with that horrible name of yours?" "No" says Penis Von Lesbian, "about three months ago I took your advice and changed my name." "Oh really?" says the agent. "So what did you change it to?" The man formerly known as Penis VOn Lesbian smiles at the agent and says "My name is Dick Van Dyke"
[creakyquiveryoldmanvoice]An oldie but a goodie.[/creakyquiveryoldmanvoice]