DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Forum Feedback and Support (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support-4/)
-   -   TWO bleeping pop-unders????? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support/327007-two-bleeping-pop-unders.html)

Jim in Cincy 10-29-03 08:09 PM

TWO bleeping pop-unders?????

:grunt: Ok Geoffrey, you know how I and others hate the pop-unders. And we've been patiently waiting for the pay-method, but now you're resorting to TWO pop-ups when I come here? What gives? Not getting enough money? Hurry up and get the blasted new servers running. :grunt:

Rogue588 10-29-03 08:16 PM

weird..

only ONE of my pop-unders bleeped..

guess i'm not special enough.. :(

Adam Tyner 10-29-03 08:26 PM

Re: TWO bleeping pop-unders?????

Originally posted by Jim in Cincy
Hurry up and get the blasted new servers running. :grunt:
The yet-to-be-released final version of vBulletin 3.0 is the hold-up, not new servers. Geoff has no control whatsoever over when the next version of vBulletin makes it out of beta.

mikehunt 10-29-03 11:16 PM

the second one is acting as a pop up for me. some stupid amc holloween thing I think, I've been closing it before it finishes but at least once it was an amc thing

Jim in Cincy 10-30-03 06:11 AM

Re: Re: TWO bleeping pop-unders?????

Originally posted by ctyner
The yet-to-be-released final version of vBulletin 3.0 is the hold-up, not new servers. Geoff has no control whatsoever over when the next version of vBulletin makes it out of beta.
Got this from a 10/22 post by Geoff at this thread http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...5&pagenumber=5

Originally posted by gkleinman
Here's the current status. We're working on getting in some upgraded servers to move to the new version of the forum software which has the new features built in. This should happen in the next couple of weeks.

I've also toyed with the idea of rolling it out BEFORE the new servers get in, but there are a number of things I need to deal with before I can make it happen.

The point is that this site is now causing TWO pop-ups/unders to happen. Geoff has been talking about going to memberships for quite some time. Get it going Geoff!!! My money is burning a hole in my pocket (or maybe it's the tacos I had for lunch burning the hole......)

GeoffK 10-31-03 12:25 PM

For 1 week and 1 week only we're running a campaign which includes a few pop-ups. But this time around we've got the cookie control MUCH better taken care of thus we're finding that people aren't getting pop-city on every page.

The bad news is that the RC of the next version of the forum is now slated for the END of Novmeber, so I'm probably going to be doing a PLAN 'B' and rolling out the membership program with the current version some time in the next 2 weeks!

Patman 11-02-03 09:41 AM

My CPU utilization skyrockets to over 75% due to IEXPLORER when the pop-unders try to get "served" when I go and refresh a DVDTalk page after some time of inactivity, and renders my IEXPLORER sluggish for a good couple of minutes for other webpages as well. This is annoying.

Canis Firebrand 11-03-03 09:28 AM

The halloween popup totally freezes my IE program until it displays.

I can't switch to another browser window that I had up previously or do anything else until it displays.
I'm not as anti-popup/popunder as others. But I can't wait for the halloween popup to disappear.

Jim in Cincy 11-03-03 10:23 AM

Originally posted by Patman
This is annoying.

Originally posted by Vryce
I can't wait for the halloween popup to disappear.
Yeah, but Geoff is making money!!!!! :D

Seriously Geoff, there are other good websites that don't have this much pop-unders. Such as http://www.fark.com/ for "Other" type threads, http://forums.anandtech.com/ for "Hot Deal" type threads, should I list others?

Josh H 11-03-03 11:30 AM

Well, if you don't like the ads there, you're free to just visit those forums. ;)

Jim in Cincy 11-03-03 12:03 PM

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Well, if you don't like the ads there, you're free to just visit those forums. ;)
I assume you mean the ads here.

Thank you Mr. Obvious ;)

And I do visit those sites. ;)

But that's not the whole point. Geoff keeps saying he's going to change things like going to membership but he hasn't. And now he's increased the pop-unders. I and others have a right to complain. OK?? ;)

Josh H 11-03-03 12:06 PM

I don't mind the ads. It lets me enjoy this great site for free.

Geoff is working on the membership, give him a break. Be greatful he puts so much work into this site, and is lucky if he even breaks even on it.

Jim in Cincy 11-03-03 12:42 PM

I don't mind the ads. It lets me enjoy this great site for free.
Your feeling, and I respect that. Myself and others get tired of the pop-unders.

Geoff is working on the membership, give him a break.
Yes, he says he is working on the membership, but he keeps missing his promised dates.

Be greatful he puts so much work into this site, and is lucky if he even breaks even on it.
This site is a business. One with a theme he happens to have an interest in. I don't owe him anything for his creation of this site (sorry Geoff). If he is not breaking even (and he has been or the site wouldn't still exist unless he's a bad businessman and doesn't know when to get out) he'll move on to something else. Sorry, but no sympathy/gratefulness here.

AndyCapps 11-03-03 01:03 PM

If he is not breaking even (and he has been or the site wouldn't still exist unless he's a bad businessman and doesn't know when to get out) he'll move on to something else.
That's a bit harsh. If you have to at least break even to have a site, the Internet would be a lonely place. I don't think Geoff's in this for the business aspect. The business aspect is here to offset a small percentage of the cost of this hobby.

Jim in Cincy 11-03-03 01:08 PM

Originally posted by AndyCapps
That's a bit harsh. If you have to at least break even to have a site, the Internet would be a lonely place.
Sites have been dropping like flies. The dream to make money off the internet is waaaay over. As a matter of fact CNN has a report today on how many dead sites there are on the internet.

Originally posted by AndyCapps
I don't think Geoff's in this for the business aspect. The business aspect is here to offset a small percentage of the cost of this hobby.
Do you really think that? So Geoff is independently wealthy and will keep this site running even if it's in the red? I don't think so. Geoff is here for the money and the personal kick he gets in being master of his domain.

Weigh in any time Geoff. I know you're reading this section. I saw your post on another thread.

Josh H 11-03-03 01:27 PM

Well, for one Geoff's wife runs a cosmetic site/business and Geoff may do other stuff besides run this site.

GeoffK 11-03-03 01:33 PM

Sites have been dropping like flies. The dream to make money off the internet is waaaay over. As a matter of fact CNN has a report today on how many dead sites there are on the internet.

Do you really think that? So Geoff is independently wealthy and will keep this site running even if it's in the red? I don't think so. Geoff is here for the money and the personal kick he gets in being master of his domain.

Weigh in any time Geoff. I know you're reading this section. I saw your post on another thread.

Jim, if you really understood what it takes to run this site I think you'd be taking a very different tact with your feedback here.

The truth of DVD Talk is that at it's core... it's me. We have a ton of people who help contribute to the site, and the site wouldn't be here without them. But when it comes to making major changes, dealing with ads, moving servers, or anything that fundamentally effects the site, the task falls on my shoulders.

If you look over my posts about Membership, we've never set a hard date, the intent has always been to

a) Upgrade our servers
b) wait for the forum software with built in paid membership to be released

This past week we got word that the first Release Candidate for VB3 wouldn't be out until the END of November. If you've been following it at all, the development time for it has been amazingly slow. Last week I threw my hands in the air and decided we can't wait for it to be released, so I started work on integrating it with the current software. This is not a trivial task and one that takes some time.

I know advertising like pops are annoying, but the advertisers demand that it be part of their campaign in order to even get the campaign.

DVD Talk isn't here to stroke my ego, ask anyone who helps with the site if there's ANY EGO at work from my end and they'll tell you the way it is. Also it's not here to make me or anyone else rich. Running an online site it an extremely difficult job, one that takes more time and effort than comparable jobs in other fields, If you do a search on all my posts and look at the way I run this site you'll see it's been with a consistant vision and the guiding principle of the big importance of our readers and members.

I can understand your frustration about the pops, and I always encourage member feedback, but you're really crossing a line here from expressing frustration to attacking me and the site. Ultimately we do everything we can to make DVD Talk a great place to spend online time at, but if we're not meeting that for you then as it's been mentioned, we're not the only kid on the block.

AndyCapps 11-03-03 01:45 PM

Yes, I absoultely think that. If he was just in it for the money, this site would have been gone years ago. I would be completely shocked if there's ever been a time when the site has broken even. I see it as a hobby that started out small and has grown over time.

Jim in Cincy 11-03-03 02:09 PM

Jim, if you really understood what it takes to run this site I think you'd be taking a very different tact with your feedback here.
True, but this site if FULL of people with opinions and that's mine, even if it is totally wrong. Thanks for the enlightenment. I'll try to take you for your word.

The truth of DVD Talk is that at it's core... it's me. We have a ton of people who help contribute to the site, and the site wouldn't be here without them. But when it comes to making major changes, dealing with ads, moving servers, or anything that fundamentally effects the site, the task falls on my shoulders.
True. The glory and the failure is on you.

If you look over my posts about Membership, we've never set a hard date, the intent has always been to

a) Upgrade our servers
b) wait for the forum software with built in paid membership to be released

This past week we got word that the first Release Candidate for VB3 wouldn't be out until the END of November. If you've been following it at all, the development time for it has been amazingly slow. Last week I threw my hands in the air and decided we can't wait for it to be released, so I started work on integrating it with the current software. This is not a trivial task and one that takes some time.

While you haven't been specific you have noted in general terms (weeks) that such and such was going to happen. After awhile, and with the increase of pop-unders, you start sounding like someone who is stringing me and other along.

I know advertising like pops are annoying, but the advertisers demand that it be part of their campaign in order to even get the campaign.
Other "quality" sites don't need multiple pop-ups. If your advertisers demand it of you but don't get away with it from other sites, then sorry but that falls on you as a failure.

DVD Talk isn't here to stroke my ego, ask anyone who helps with the site if there's ANY EGO at work from my end and they'll tell you the way it is. Also it's not here to make me or anyone else rich. Running an online site it an extremely difficult job, one that takes more time and effort than comparable jobs in other fields, If you do a search on all my posts and look at the way I run this site you'll see it's been with a consistant vision and the guiding principle of the big importance of our readers and members.
What is your motivation? What do you get from running this site? Be honest. It's either money now or potential money in the future, or in some way running this site makes you feel good about yourself.

I can understand your frustration about the pops, and I always encourage member feedback, but you're really crossing a line here from expressing frustration to attacking me and the site. Ultimately we do everything we can to make DVD Talk a great place to spend online time at, but if we're not meeting that for you then as it's been mentioned, we're not the only kid on the block.
I am frustrated. And if that bothers you, too bad, or you can show your ego and get your feelings hurt and ban me. Or you can be a man and take some constructive criticism about what you haven't done that you've said you were going to do. And I see I got under your skin. It shows with your comment reminding me of what I said about other sites being out there. Reminding people of the obvious is weak Geoff.

Josh H 11-03-03 02:12 PM

Jim, you better drop it or you won't have to worry about ads or when the membership will start anymore.

Jim in Cincy 11-03-03 02:17 PM

Jim, you better drop it or you won't have to worry about ads or when the membership will start anymore.
Thanks for the "advice" Josh, but I'll speak for myself. Who are you anyway, Geoff's bodyguard? Back off.

Oh, by the way, when the membership is offered I intend to be one of the first to subscribe. I do like this site.

Josh H 11-03-03 03:00 PM

I was just pointing out that he said you already crossed the line, and ignoring that and continuing to argue wasn't a good idea if you want to stick around here. :D

Adboy151 11-03-03 03:06 PM

I am frustrated. And if that bothers you, too bad, or you can show your ego and get your feelings hurt and ban me. Or you can be a man and take some constructive criticism about what you haven't done that you've said you were going to do. And I see I got under your skin. It shows with your comment reminding me of what I said about other sites being out there. Reminding people of the obvious is weak Geoff. [/B]
There's criticism, there's constructive criticism and then there's the venom directed in the above statement.

Is really worth getting so heated over a few pop-ups?

Jim in Cincy 11-03-03 03:16 PM

Originally posted by Adboy151
Is really worth getting so heated over a few pop-ups?
No, of course not. But what does that have to do with this site's pop-ups? We're talking about month after month of pop-ups offset by Geoff's statements that he's going to give us an option to not have the pop-ups. It's like TORTURE.

Message to all, I am sincerely sorry about my attitude. I'm stressing. Life is beating me down. Depression. Anger. Not your fault. Sorry.

big whoppa 11-03-03 03:57 PM

I'll gladly take a couple of pop-unders over paying a membership fee.