DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Forum Feedback and Support (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support-4/)
-   -   This thread is NOT about free speech (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support/317081-thread-not-about-free-speech.html)

Trigger 09-11-03 03:48 AM

This thread is NOT about free speech

I'm not gonna play the "free speech" card here, but I want to make a request...

I'd like to be able to say the "s" word... yeah, that's right... the one that means "poo". I'd like to be able to say that without being sensored. I just think this forum should go by the same censorship rules as American television. They can say p i s s and s h i t and d i c k and a s s now. I'm fine with keeping the "f" word censored - cuz it's just a naughty word and too easy to throw around in anger against someone. But the "s" word is so useful. It's not the type of word that people would use against each other (unless when calling someone a piece of). I think the "s" word is a happy word. I think we're all adult enough here to hear it. They said it in Goonies - and millions of children heard it. It's just such a harmless word - I feel like the forum is trying to make me wear a diaper and say "goo goo ga ga".

X 09-11-03 03:56 AM

I believe the "s" word is pretty much censored by American TV as it is here. Except for the "f" word, the other examples you gave are not censored here.

kvrdave 09-11-03 05:24 AM

Vulva

Looks like my top choice is still okay.

Groucho 09-11-03 07:37 AM

You can slip the s-word in this way:

trigshitger

AgtFox 09-11-03 09:23 AM

Actually, the "s" word can be uttered on American TV. Chicago Hope was the first one to use it. Since then ER has used it (in Dr. Greene's last episode), South Park has used it (remember the "s" word based episode where they spoke it over 100 times, possibly over 200 times?), the FX channel has used it (Nip/Tuck and the now cancelled Lucky) and I'm sure others have as well.

Now you could argue it is relegated to only the 10pm ET slot, in that case you're right. However the fact is broadcast TV and basic cable both are able to say the "s" word.

Now I don't care if it stays censored or not, just wanted to give some examples so people are better informed before just blowing off the argument.

das Monkey 09-11-03 09:44 AM

Broadcast TV can air whatever the **** they want; they just choose not to.

Anyway, as I've noted before, our fascination with swearing is as childish as -- if not more than -- our fascination with nudity. Who the **** cares? If you swear too much, you might look like an idiot, but you're not harming anyone. It's silly, but it pales in comparison to the silliness of the hypocrisy of our made-up swearing counterparts.

Still, as long as society continues to be boneheads about this issue, it's reasonable to expect DVD Talk to play along. While there's no logic in getting offended over a word like "****," the fact remains that people do, and I guess you have to take them into consideration. I just ****ing swear anyway and let the censor do whatever it's going to do. Context should be good enough for you to know what I mean.

das

tonyc3742 09-11-03 10:06 AM

I agree....While the board ownership has the right to block or allow whatever words or topics they want, I wouldn't mind the right to use certain words. But I'm not running away and pouting or going up in arms because they're not [I'm not implying you are, but that's a usual response when someone gets *****'ed.]
But also like dM says, there are some people who might get offended at certain words, and this is meant to be a 'family-friendly' board, I guess, and more people might be offended at seeing certain words, than would be offended at not being able to see certain words.
All too often the ability to use certain words hampers intelligent discussion, and leads to flame wars or arguments--I never found Andrew Dice Clay funny, and that was pretty much his whole shtick. We share opinions on this board and of course everyone would like to convince everyone else that his opinion is right, but it's too easy to toss in a bunch of four letter words, at which point there are two reactions: Grow up, then the observers quit watching the thread; or Hey! You watch **** movies too, dumb****! which of course is of no use to anyone.

It's funny, I'm on another board that is not well trafficked [we have maybe 50 members and 5-20 posts a day], and it was a place for intelligent discussion with respectful disagreement/debate. Someone just joined up, who instantly called someone a name [something like You like that? You're a ****]. I checked this guy's profile, and he had a blog, which read like a Tarantino movie. Any opinions he might have had in there that might have gone to convince anybody, were totally outweighed by the multiple curses [and I do mean multiple, I think something like 5% of his post was four letter words] in the posts. The general tone was just one of bitter hatred and vitriol, combined with the foot-stamping attention-getting antics of a grade schooler. Basically someone who wants attention, and the easiest way to do it is to use some 'forbidden words.'

If banning certain words keeps wastes of oxygen like that guy from these boards, I'm all for it. I'm not against those words, I have been known to curse rather often sometimes, but there's a time and a place for everything, and by using those words too often, they will lose their power as emotional expressions.

Oh--I think the most obvious example of 'those words' on tv is Gary the Rat. Not sure if it counts, because it's on TNN/Spike late night [2200?], but as the opening credits wind up, Gary the Rat looks at himself in a mirror and says, 'Gary the Rat.....****.'

AndyCapps 09-11-03 10:12 AM

poochuckin mofo

das Monkey 09-11-03 11:53 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE> • Quoth AndyCapps •<HR SIZE=1>poochuckin mofo <HR SIZE=1></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sheeet, Negro ... that's all you had to say.

<b>dtcarson</b>, be careful not to confuse swearing with attacking. A personal attack is bad regardless of the language used. "That was so ****ing funny I just **** my pants" is harmless. "You're a complete loser, and I hope you die" is not. While people often swear in their attacks, the two don't necessarily go hand in hand.

das

tonyc3742 09-11-03 12:43 PM

Originally posted by das Monkey
<BLOCKQUOTE> • Quoth AndyCapps •<HR SIZE=1>poochuckin mofo <HR SIZE=1></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sheeet, Negro ... that's all you had to say.

<b>dtcarson</b>, be careful not to confuse swearing with attacking. A personal attack is bad regardless of the language used. "That was so ****ing funny I just **** my pants" is harmless. "You're a complete loser, and I hope you die" is not. While people often swear in their attacks, the two don't necessarily go hand in hand.

das

Absolutely, and I didn't mean to mislead. I guess what I've seen [not necessarily here, but other places across the net] is a lot of the people who are most avidly expressing their 'right to curse' [as they see it] tend to be the most likely to 'attack' rather than 'argue' or 'debate'. And using both of those, attacks and cursing, is a sure way to tick off the very people you're trying to convince. One does not require the other by any means, I've just seen them coincide rather often.
And I would rather see and frequent a board where people say things like 'That movie was ******* awesome! How about the scene where...' than stuff like 'You liked Gigli? You're such a stupid idiot.' Of course, while the second is unacceptable, the first [the language thereof] isn't really necessary.

GeoffK 09-11-03 01:27 PM

OK. I'm willing to give a shit a try for 1 week, see how it goes.

If it's abused, it's gone.

(How do I know that this is going to become at least 1 person's signature)

das Monkey 09-11-03 01:28 PM

Holy shit. Define "abused." :D

das

GeoffK 09-11-03 01:32 PM

I DON'T want to see it in thread titles or used in personal attacks even jokingly

das Monkey 09-11-03 01:37 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE> • Quoth gkleinman •<HR SIZE=1>I DON'T want to see it in thread titles or used in personal attacks even jokingly <HR SIZE=1></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that's more than fair.

das

ViewAskewbian 09-11-03 01:38 PM

This is the shit!

AndyCapps 09-11-03 01:52 PM

I can't believe that Trigger asked for shit, and got it. :eek:

chrisih8u 09-11-03 01:58 PM

Now whenever I think of 9/11, I will think of it as the day the word shit became uncensored.

X 09-11-03 02:04 PM

Originally posted by chrisih8u
Now whenever I think of 9/11, I will think of it as the day the word shit became uncensored.
Is this another indication that freedom has prevailed or did terrorists get Geoff's password?

MonkeyG 09-11-03 02:09 PM

Now someone go over and post the new word in the Other forum and watch everyone shit in their pants. :lol:

Bandoman 09-11-03 02:23 PM

Holy defecation.

Trigger 09-11-03 02:32 PM

Originally posted by AndyCapps
I can't believe that Trigger asked for shit, and got it. :eek:
Holy shit - I can't believe it either... -eek-

Trigger 09-11-03 02:36 PM

:lol: someone on a mission?

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/search....archid=1353248

The floodgates have been opened.

Bandoman 09-11-03 03:00 PM

I just hope that one person who abuses the shit out of this privilege doesn't ruin it for the rest of us. :lol:

tonyc3742 09-11-03 03:15 PM

Originally posted by Bandoman
I just hope that one person who abuses the shit out of this privilege doesn't ruin it for the rest of us. :lol:
Someone probably willl...shit happens : (

someone on a mission?

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/search...earchid=1353248

The floodgates have been opened.
Wha-hey? It looks like every message that was typed that used to show **** now has the word instead?

chanster 09-11-03 04:28 PM

Anybody know where I can get German shit videos?