DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Forum Feedback and Support (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support-4/)
-   -   A warning about the FreeDVDs popunder (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support/273417-warning-about-freedvds-popunder.html)

Wizdar 02-22-03 02:59 PM

A warning about the FreeDVDs popunder

In spite of their “privacy policy” which states otherwise, I believe this site [FreeDVDs.com] collects email addresses for the purpose of selling to spammers.

A coupla months ago I made the mistake of signing in (giving my email addy) to a popunder for yourfreedvds. Couldn’t tell for sure if it came from DVDTalk, not that it matters. Before that, I was relatively spam free. Any more, checking email SUX.

With yourfreedvds, you register, then you get a list of offers that, if you participate (such as changing your long distance company), you get a free DVD. This site also has a “privacy policy” and an anti-spam logo on one of their pages.

FreeDVDs is making what seems to be a similar deal, only they give points for participation and I assume you cash them in for discs.

If you like spam, make sure you sign up. I’ve just registered Freedvds.com with yourfreedvds and vice versa. It’s the least I could do for having an inbox is never empty.

tommy28 02-22-03 06:13 PM

In spite of their “privacy policy” which states otherwise, I believe this site collects email addresses for the purpose of selling to spammers.

if dvdtalk can make some $$$ selling my email thats ok with me:)

although i don`t think Geoff would do such with-out asking/telling...

GeoffK 02-22-03 06:49 PM

Thanks for advising me that you got a FreeDVDs pop-under, we use an ad network for some of our pop-unders and I'll make sure that it's removed immediately.

A reminder that DVDTalk's privacy policy clearly states that we DO NOT sell or disclose our email lists to anyone and we clearly mark all mailings that come from us as being from DVDTalk!

Wizdar 02-22-03 09:18 PM

:hscratch: I hope it's understood that I was not talking about Geoff or DVDTalk. In case it's not clear, I've edited my first post.

In spite of getting popunders [in general] every time I come here (which I understand shouldn’t happen), I firmly believe that Geoff is trying his best to run an honest site and still keep it going.

Geoff, it’s obvious to me now that a privacy policy, yours or otherwise, means squat. Is there any law that says a privacy policy is binding? I think not, even if abuse could be proved. But I’ve been here long enough to know that your word is good enough for me.

BizRodian 02-23-03 03:35 AM

I seem to get more spam when I start becoming active in the forums (I often go away for a few months, then post for a few months... then go away.. ect.)

Probably just a coincidence, but it is something that I noticed...

RandyC 02-23-03 04:40 AM

I am guessing it's coincidence. I have a unique email for this site and I get almost zero spam on it.

BizRodian 02-23-03 07:56 AM

Guess so then. I probably tend to go to other forums when I go to these ones, so maybe it's another one.

GeoffK 02-23-03 02:18 PM

Actually privacy policies mean quite a deal. They are legal agreements which bind the company collecting information to a certain set of rules and procedures. There are some companies out on the net who may not be taking them seriously, but I can ensure you that in the next few years we'll see stronger and stronger adherance to these policies as companies get sued for violating them.

The way I see it, I have a personal email address myself which I value very much, I HATE spam and resent when any company uses that address beyond what they've told me they'd us it for and so DVD Talk has a very clear and protective privacy policy, we're very focused on making sure everything we send from DVD Talk is clearly identified and has a high level of relevance and value to our members and most importantly we never permit anyone else to use our names.

Spam may be running rampant on the net in general now, but there will be a break point where legistlation and technology make it extremely difficult for anyone to send someting to an email address which is unsolicited. I look forward to that day as in the end it benefits everyone.

BizRodian 02-23-03 08:21 PM

God, me too. My penis is big enough thank you very much Mr. Shocking News.

ClarkKentKY 02-23-03 10:52 PM

Originally posted by gkleinman
Spam may be running rampant on the net in general now, but there will be a break point where legistlation and technology make it extremely difficult for anyone to send someting to an email address which is unsolicited. I look forward to that day as in the end it benefits everyone.
Perfectly Stated.