DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Forum Feedback and Support (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support-4/)
-   -   PArty bashing in "Other" is getting offensive and out of hand...AGAIN! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support/269003-party-bashing-other-getting-offensive-out-hand-again.html)

minifigg 02-05-03 01:26 PM

PArty bashing in "Other" is getting offensive and out of hand...AGAIN!

OKay. Seriously. We have gone over this before. I know I am outnumbered here. FINE. BUT lately, ANY thread is being used for political purposes. When I click on a thread titled "Richard Gere can kiss his career goodbye."
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...15#post3274915
I expect to find perhaps:
Insider news of American Gigolo II...the Sunset Years
or
The new script info on "Autumn in New York" the extended Director's cut, with 2x more Winona.
or
Even MORE Gerbling!
BUT...what do I get???
LIBERAL BASHING!!!!
It is out of control. Please fix it.
Thank you.
mini

BigPete 02-05-03 02:19 PM

I don't see it ... but I stopped reading at your post.

Groucho 02-05-03 02:23 PM

You've gotta FIGHT, for your RIGHT, to PARTY-BASH!

minifigg 02-05-03 02:34 PM

Originally posted by BigPete
I don't see it ... but I stopped reading at your post.
:hscratch: WHAT???
Read bhk's FIRST COMMENT under the story:

Originally posted by bhk

How can he say that when Clinton did his own AIDS research. He personally tested the theory that one can have unprotected oral sex and not get infected.

WHAT does that have to do with that story? OR with FACTS at all?
NOTHING. BUT it was a wonderfully convenient way to liberal bash.
Again.
mini

BigPete 02-05-03 02:39 PM

That has nothing to do with a liberal at all. It's a guy getting a BJ. It doesn't matter what party Clinton is or was, he was stupid enough to get a BJ from an intern and get caught. If there were any way to make a joke about Eddie Murphy picking up a transvestite or Hugh Grant getting a hooker, I'm sure that would be here, too. Hell, maybe we can sneak in a Marv Albert ass-biting joke.

They are making fun of the man, not his ideals.

GuessWho 02-05-03 02:43 PM

Well said, BP

AndyCapps 02-05-03 02:47 PM

Originally posted by minifigg
BUT it was a wonderfully convenient way to liberal bash.

:hscratch: I guess I see liberal bashing as different from Clinton bashing. I saw it as a Clinton bash. Gere mentioned Clinton by name, bhk made a Clinton joke. I don't care if Clinton is a Republican, Democrat, Reformist, Communist, or a Jackass.

minifigg 02-05-03 02:53 PM

Originally posted by BigPete
That has nothing to do with a liberal at all. They are making fun of the man, not his ideals.
I disagree. It is a notion that is prevalent now in "Other" look at the other remaks it inspired. And how many were liberal/Dem bashing? Most. But YMMV.

minifigg 02-05-03 02:55 PM

Originally posted by AndyCapps
:hscratch: I guess I see liberal bashing as different from Clinton bashing.
Fine, there we disagree. BUT look at how much bashing is going on in "Other" these days. It is disgusting.
mini

minifigg 02-05-03 02:57 PM

Oh, and if Bush or another prominent Rebpub got caught getting a BJ, do you think bhk would have used him instead?
I think not.
mini

minifigg 02-05-03 03:26 PM

Here is the deal, I could post a "Hey! My Cheetoz look funky today" thread and I bet in the first 10 posts there would be a slur. If I choose to go into a political thread and get bashed, my bad. If I enter a thread about something seemingly unrelated (as the title implied) and get bashed, that is another thing.
The bashing (on both sides) need to stop in unrelated threads.
mini

das Monkey 02-05-03 03:56 PM

IBAmP

das

<I>In Before Another minifigg Post</I>

P.S. Not counting this example, party bashing is pretty bad around here. Seems like all of society's problems are conveniently dismissed as evil acts from those damn liberals or those damn conservatives.

Rogue588 02-05-03 04:10 PM

Should we even introduce "organized religion" to this combustible mix? ;)

das Monkey 02-05-03 04:14 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE> • Quoth Rogue588 •<HR SIZE=1>Should we even introduce "organized religion" to this combustible mix? ;) <HR SIZE=1></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, but they deserve it. :D

das

Static Cling 02-05-03 04:16 PM

NOTHING. BUT it was a wonderfully convenient way to liberal bash.
Again.

The story was about Richard Gere and his comments about Bill Clinton. bhk's coments were about Richard Gere and Bill Clinton. It's bhk's opinion/joke that Gere won't get the Oscar... I don't think he presented that as fact. And the Clinton thing was a joke about the fact that while Monica Lewinsky was a White House intern, she performed oral sex on him while he was President. I don't see where he referred to the Democratic party or even a liberal worldview... if you can quote something from him that does, please do.

Are you upset about the constant stream of "Bush is a moron" comments, too, or just Clinton jokes?

benedict 02-05-03 04:31 PM

<small>

:hscratch: WHAT???
Read bhk's FIRST COMMENT under the story:
NOTHING. BUT it was a wonderfully convenient way to liberal bash.<font color=red> Again</font>.
mini

</small>If you think that the same thing <i>has </i>been done repeatedly then the point would be made more effectively if you post a link to a number of such threads, summarise the article used to start each "conversation" and quote the bashing remark that accompanies it.

It all depends whether you believe it is worth the effort but, IMNSHO,<i> that</i> would be more difficult to rebut than citing a solitary example.

X 02-05-03 04:37 PM

This was a thread in Other, after all. A forum not exactly known for positive celebrity news. That niche is better served by E! or Entertainment Weekly.

Actually, I can't remember an Other celebrity thread that ever discussed their next costar, next movie or even their current movies. Those threads would be in the Movie Talk Forum.

If this thread were located in the Movie Talk Forum I would agree that the comments about the news story could be inappropriate. But it seems right at home in Other. And, if they think of it, you'll probably be hearing the same comment from David Letterman or Jay Leno.

As for all the political bashing going on, yes I agree. The recent election and an impending war seems to have stirred people up.

Bushdog 02-05-03 04:49 PM

effin' Reoublicans.

friggin' Democrats.

Ranger 02-05-03 06:19 PM

Originally posted by Bushdog
effin' Reoublicans.

friggin' Democrats.

How could you forget those bleeding heart liberals?!!

mini, you're right that party-bashing is out of hand in Other. One of my own thread in other the grasshopper and the ant wasn't offensive but some people just took it the wrong way and twisted it in racism, but the thread ended right away after I posted another forum member's response that summed up the story quite well.

Its fair to blame it on the mere number of political threads. My God, there must be at least ten active political threads in Other right now! Some people feel strongly about their position and ideals and feel compelled to give their take of the story. The specific example you used isn't even offensive, it was just the truth, but some people can't handle the truth!. Party bashing isn't exactly a violation of the rules so what do you expect the moderators to do? I woudn't mind having political discussions banned altogether.

So c'mon and being the fun back to the forum!

joltaddict 02-05-03 07:52 PM

Whats a Reoublicans?

Whats a nubian?

Bushdog 02-05-03 09:56 PM

Originally posted by joltaddict
Whats a Reoublicans?

Whats a nubian?

Blow me:p

joltaddict 02-05-03 10:04 PM

Originally posted by Bushdog
Blow me:p
Last time all I got was that lousy t-shirt.

RoQuEr 02-05-03 11:05 PM

[Pm to mini] I get equally angered when "certain people" have to tell me how badly they want to kill arabs in every thread. I find that equally offensive. [/PM]

Static Cling 02-06-03 06:05 AM

Originally posted by joltaddict
Last time all I got was that lousy t-shirt.
You're lucky... I didn't even get that.

Er, wait...

Dead 02-06-03 09:23 AM

Re: PArty bashing in "Other" is getting offensive and out of hand...AGAIN!

BUT...what do I get???
LIBERAL BASHING!!!!
It is out of control. Please fix it.
Thank you.
mini

Uh, does the word "Shrub" mean anything to you? ;)