DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Forum Feedback and Support (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support-4/)
-   -   Explain to me the fascination of "blind buy" DVD threads (merged) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support/264567-explain-me-fascination-blind-buy-dvd-threads-merged.html)

GuessWho 01-17-03 01:32 PM

Explain to me the fascination of "blind buy" DVD threads

More and more lately, I'm seeing threads such as:

"Is (movie title) a good blind buy?"

What is the fascination with polling others about buying a DVD of a movie you haven't seen & needing others' approval to do so?

My 2 main points of view:

1) You're arguing over $15 or so. Isn't seeing a movie in the theater the same darn thing as a 'blind buy'???? Yet people have no problem dropping $25-30 (2 tics, popcorn) on a so-called 'blind buy' that way. Tell me the difference.

2) I think many of you are asking this question and looking for nothing more than a movie review (Is the film good?) that bottom line have nothing to do with the DVD product (Reviews Forum for that anyway). I have some new ideas: read Ebert or another critic you like, post your query in Movie or Reviews Forums here, or check out other movie review sites.

pdjennings 01-17-03 01:33 PM

exactly. dvd's are cheap for a reason.

JonTurner 01-17-03 01:34 PM

(applause) 'nuff said

chsidwel 01-17-03 01:35 PM

Preachin' to the choir. Most of my dvd purchases a "blind buys". Doesn't bother me any. I just can't get to the theatre as much anymore (11 month old now occupies most of my free time).

siberianhusky 01-17-03 01:36 PM

Well I think people want a movie review. The diffrence however is that the review is not coming from these putzes that do it for a living and have no clue what a good movie is. They want to hear what normal people have to say and go from that.

GuessWho 01-17-03 01:38 PM

Originally posted by siberianhusky
Well I think people want a movie review.
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/forumdi...?s=&forumid=17

Next counterpoint?

GuessWho 01-17-03 01:43 PM

And wouldn't "what are your best blind buys?" be the same as:

"What are movies you saw in the theater and liked that you didn't see in the theater already beforehand?"

Silly, right?
Buying a theater ticket is a blind buy, yet most make that blind buy without hesitation from a commercial/trailer, and not intense online research.

"I'm buying a LOTR:TTT theater ticket tonight, is it a good blind buy?"

Gimme a break.
I'm still looking for the difference.

duy37 01-17-03 02:01 PM

Yeah some people are just lazy to research or read the DVDTalk Reviews

good sites to check out

imdb.com and mrqe.com

DarthMarklar 01-17-03 02:08 PM

I've asked the Mods to either move those threads into the "Reviews" category or Make an entire "Blind Buy" topic area.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...79#post3208479

Since blind buys are really asking for a review of the DVD, I never understood why they ended up in "DVD Talk" when there's a "DVD review" category underneath it.

El-Kabong 01-17-03 02:08 PM

How about this - the dvd encompasses more than just the movie. How is the transfer. How is the sound - how are the extras and that sort of thing. That's an important consideration in my purchases at least.

bboisvert 01-17-03 02:14 PM

I used to mention this in "blind buy" threads about a year ago and people didn't see my point, so I gave up.

It appears that most people wanted to know what "fellow DVDTalkers" thought about the film. Personally, I still don't understand.

For 99% of the films that are being asked about, you can go to the IMDb and read 100+ online reviews, in addition to dozens of user comments. If that can't give you a sense of how much you'll probably enjoy the movie, I don't know how a thread in DVDTalk is going to help you...

But, different strokes, I guess...

DarthMarklar 01-17-03 02:14 PM

Originally posted by El-Kabong
How about this - the dvd encompasses more than just the movie. How is the transfer. How is the sound - how are the extras and that sort of thing. That's an important consideration in my purchases at least.
Hence the "DVD Review" category. I doesn't say "Movie review of DVDs". I would think it would be appropriate to discuss all aspects of the DVD process, in addition to the movie itself.

GuessWho 01-17-03 02:16 PM

Originally posted by DarthMarklar
Hence the "DVD Review" category. I doesn't say "Movie review of DVDs". I would think it would be appropriate to discuss all aspects of the DVD process, in addition to the movie itself.
And you can discuss the movie itself in our Movie Talk forum.

My point? These review threads are taking attention away from the genuine news & information threads -- the "meat" of DVDTalk

(just because people either can't remember a film's commercials from its theatrical release just months ago -or- they need our permission to buy something)

GuessWho 01-17-03 02:20 PM

Buy the damn blind buy, and if you didn't like it, throw it in the garbage.

You heard me, throw it in the garbage... and just pretend you saw it in the theater. You wouldn't have had anything sitting on your shelf after a theater trip anyway.

Brian McHale 01-17-03 02:21 PM

Even though I've never initiated a "blind buy" thread, I think I can understand why people start them. I often find myself trying to figure out whether I want to buy or rent. I'll look through many online reviews, but sometimes it's just not that easy.

When someone asks if a disc is good as a blind buy, I think they're asking for a very specialized review. A lot of people will love a movie, but they can still recognize that it wouldn't be for everyone. There are a lot of movies I would recommend to rent, but not to buy it blind. When I read through one of these threads, I think I can get a pretty good idea of the general consensus.

As far as "it's only $15," if I blind bought everything I thought I might want, my wife would leave me. (And take all the DVDs!)

GuessWho 01-17-03 02:27 PM

Originally posted by Brian McHale
As far as "it's only $15," if I blind bought everything I thought I might want, my wife would leave me. (And take all the DVDs!)
My "only $15" comment was in a comparison to going to the theater because unless you're a Star Wars or LOTR fanatic seeing Episode 37 for the 8th time, everything you see in the theater is a blind buy, yet people often choose what they'll see based on a commercial or simply by seeing what starts next at the multiplex (vs polling online forum members first )

DumDum 01-17-03 02:31 PM

Originally posted by GuessWho

You heard me, throw it in the garbage... and just pretend you saw it in the theater. You wouldn't have had anything sitting on your shelf after a theater trip anyway.

:lol: I would have to agree with the majority. These threads definitely belong in the reviews forum.

El-Kabong 01-17-03 02:31 PM

(they need our permission to buy something)
That reminds me - can I stop at the video store on the way home and get a disc?

GuessWho 01-17-03 02:32 PM

No. Go home and straight to your room, young man!

MJKTool 01-17-03 02:34 PM

For once I agree with GuessWho! -ptth-

DarthMarklar 01-17-03 02:44 PM

NO! Go home and watch all your 'unwatched' DVD's before you buy/rent anymore ;)

The Bus 01-17-03 02:55 PM

What is the fascination with polling others about buying a DVD of a movie you haven't seen & needing others' approval to do so?

I don't know, DVDs are cool. Cinema is cool. Flicks are cool. This seems like a pure forum-crap. That's like me going into sports and saying "Why do you guys talk about sports and ask for advice on who to bet on?"

You're arguing over $15 or so. Isn't seeing a movie in the theater the same darn thing as a 'blind buy'???? Yet people have no problem dropping $25-30 (2 tics, popcorn) on a so-called 'blind buy' that way. Tell me the difference
Your logic is flawed in that you assume those who ask about blind buys also spend $30 in the theatre. I ask about blind buys. I don't spend more than $8 in the theatre, and I try to catch the $5 matinees.

Furthermore, I bought over 100 DVDs in the past year. However, I only saw 25 movies in the theatre. My investment in DVDs was somewhere north of $2000 (I bought box sets and Criterion OOPs). My investment in the movies was around $200. So, yes, I am a bit more careful about how I spend $2000 as opposed to $200. Woudln't you be?

2) I think many of you are asking this question and looking for nothing more than a movie review (Is the film good?) that bottom line have nothing to do with the DVD product (Reviews Forum for that anyway). I have some new ideas: read Ebert or another critic you like, post your query in Movie or Reviews Forums here, or check out other movie review sites.
So you're saying that we're looking for "a movie review that, bottom line, [has] nothing to do with the DVD product" -- I'm confused. In your viewpoint, the movie itself has nothing to do with the DVD? A bad movie on a DVD is less attractive than a good movie on a DVD. Therefore, the quality of the movie ("Is it good?") is very important to a lot of people, and therefore, an integral part of the DVD (along with video, audio, and extras).

Originally posted by siberianhusky
Well I think people want a movie review. The diffrence however is that the review is not coming from these putzes that do it for a living and have no clue what a good movie is. They want to hear what normal people have to say and go from that.
While I wouldn't call all reviewers "putzes" I do want to hear what some of the members on the board think of a movie. Opening up a thread that asks, "Should I buy Bourne Identity?" is not "needing other's approval" to buy a movie. I don't need anyone's approval to buy a movie. Otherwise, I wouldn't own Captain Ron, Tremors 3, and Freddy Got Fingered.

It's asking for opinions from many different voices, and an ensuing discussion of the film and/or DVD will ensue. I can't discuss a DVD with Ebert. It's a one-sided conversation. So, while I value his input, I don't rely only on him (or anyone else for that matter) exclusively.

And wouldn't "what are your best blind buys?" be the same as:

"What are movies you saw in the theater and liked that you didn't see in the theater already beforehand?"

No, you can't "blind buy" a theatre admission. That question can be rephrased as, "What movies which you had never seen before did you like the most when you bought them blind on DVD?" It's shorthand. That question does not apply to theatrical showings, which are mostly "blind showings" anyways.

Silly, right?
Buying a theater ticket is a blind buy, yet most make that blind buy without hesitation from a commercial/trailer, and not intense online research.

I'm still looking for the difference.

Theatre: as low as $1-5, as high as $10 (or $20 with a date).
DVD: as low as $5-7, as high as $200.

DVDs are investments. The person that asked whether or not they should spend $15 on Signs might not have the budget to simply spend $15 at will. They might not even go to the theatre. One can't assume that everyone drops $30 "without hesitation" in the theatres. I know I don't. The people that don't are also more likely to research DVDs. Find me someone who brags that they see two movies a week in the theatre at $20 a pop, and then later is hesitant at buying a $12.99 DVD. Even if you do find them, I will find more people that don't go to the theatre a lot and wait for the DVD.

Originally posted by DarthMarklar
Since blind buys are really asking for a review of the DVD, I never understood why they ended up in "DVD Talk" when there's a "DVD review" category underneath it.
A lot of people simply post 3rd-party reviews or their extensive reviews on a DVD in the Review forum. If you only have a thought or two ("I'll buy Red Dragon, I want all Edward Norton's performances on DVD") and they can't/won't/don't want to write a full review, it would look silly to have that be a thread right?

Originally posted by bboisvert
For 99% of the films that are being asked about, you can go to the IMDb and read 100+ online reviews, in addition to dozens of user comments. If that can't give you a sense of how much you'll probably enjoy the movie, I don't know how a thread in DVDTalk is going to help you...
Reading reviews = one-sided conversation. You can't ask the reviewer anything. Thread = multiple-parties involved. You can ask, "How are the CGI effects in Signs? How's the script in xXx?" You can debate ("The Ents looked terrible!") -- you can't do that reading a review. It's like saying, "Why do you ask me my opinion about Iraq? There's people on TV talking about it."

they need our permission to buy something
If they do, it's a minority.

Good, nice job of trolling AND flame-baiting at the same time.

Cheapest:

Theatre trip, second-run theatre, no snacks: $2
DVD, pre-viewed, old movie: $6

Most expensive (for a regular person):
Theatre trip, at night: $10
DVD, special limited edition / Criterion, at retail store: $30

DVDs are still more expensive than going to the theatre. A DVD (for me) is like two or three theatre trips. So, I'll troll you in return: "Saw a movie you didn't like? See it twice more, same price as a DVD!" :rolleyes:

Originally posted by DumDum
:lol: I would have to agree with the majority. These threads definitely belong in the reviews forum.
From the DVD Discussion section.
DVD Talk: Talk about DVD's and Movies on DVD.
DVD Reviews: Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Since when are blind buy threads full reviews of movies? Most people will post a few comments but rarely is there a full review, which is what the DVD Reviews section is for, as it states on this site.

So, CLIFF NOTES:

- People asking about blind buys do not necessarily spend $50/week on movies in the theatre. They may spend more on DVDs than on movies in the theatre, so are more careful about this. You would be more careful with relatively bigger ticket items, right?

- People can say their thoughts in DVD Talk. If they have a full-blown review, they can go to DVD Reviews.

GuessWho 01-17-03 03:03 PM

Originally posted by The Bus
So you're saying that we're looking for "a movie review that, bottom line, [has] nothing to do with the DVD product" -- I'm confused.
ie: Discussing the film and giving you my opinion of story, plot development , characters, direction, and quality of acting has NOTHING to do with the DVD disc. I could've seen it in the theater, on TV, on a plane. The film is the film.

DarthMarklar 01-17-03 03:09 PM

Originally posted by The Bus
That's like me going into sports and saying "Why do you guys talk about sports and ask for advice on who to bet on?"
No, that's like going into the sports forum and saying "Oakland Raiders - any good?"

Everyone will have thier own opinion as to what is good. Just because I LOVED "Lord of the Rings" doesn't mean that everyone else will, so I don't see how my opinion would matter to everyone else.

That's A lot of people simply post 3rd-party reviews or their extensive reviews on a DVD in the Review forum. If you only have a thought or two ("I'll buy Red Dragon, I want all Edward Norton's performances on DVD") and they can't/won't/don't want to write a full review, it would look silly to have that be a thread right?
No. What's wrong with asking for a review of a DVD in the "DVD Review" category????

Since when are blind buy threads full reviews of movies? Most people will post a few comments but rarely is there a full review, which is what the DVD Reviews section is for, as it states on this site.
To quote an Administrator:

Originally posted by Static Cling
It does seem like there are a lot of these threads. If it keeps up... and it probably will... I'll probably start moving them to DVD Reviews. Because if you're asking if a disc is a good blind buy, you're basically asking how good the disc is.
You can't argue with that. :D

The Bus 01-17-03 03:11 PM

ie: Discussing the film and giving you my opinion of story, plot development , characters, direction, and quality of acting has NOTHING to do with the DVD disc. I could've seen it in the theater, on TV, on a plane. The film is the film.
The film is the film. The DVD is also the film. Hence, discussions about the DVD contain discussions of the film.