DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Forum Feedback and Support (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support-4/)
-   -   Explain to me the fascination of "blind buy" DVD threads (merged) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support/264567-explain-me-fascination-blind-buy-dvd-threads-merged.html)

The Bus 01-17-03 03:14 PM

Originally posted by DarthMarklar
No, that's like going into the sports forum and saying "Oakland Raiders - any good?"

Re-read. I was refering to GuessWho's thread, not blind buy threads.

Everyone will have thier own opinion as to what is good. Just because I LOVED "Lord of the Rings" doesn't mean that everyone else will, so I don't see how my opinion would matter to everyone else.
So if your opinion doesn't matter, why are you so opinionated on this issue, and do we care? :D ;)

GuessWho 01-17-03 03:22 PM

Originally posted by The Bus
The film is the film. The DVD is also the film. Hence, discussions about the DVD contain discussions of the film.
In reviewing a film, you discuss story, plot development, characters, direction, and quality of acting.

When you review DVD disc, discussing veer towards the DVD-ish aspects of it in addition to the above. Additions include technical audio & video specs and special features.

To pose "Is Barbershop really that funny? I may get it as a blind buy" is asking for the former, not the latter.

DarthMarklar 01-17-03 03:35 PM

So if your opinion doesn't matter, why are you so opinionated on this issue, and do we care? :D ;)
Well, movie opinions are soely 'individualistic', whereas DVD Forum rules and regulations aren't.

The Bus 01-17-03 04:08 PM

Originally posted by GuessWho
In reviewing a film, you discuss story, plot development, characters, direction, and quality of acting.

When you review DVD disc, discussing veer towards the DVD-ish aspects of it in addition to the above. Additions include technical audio & video specs and special features.

To pose "Is Barbershop really that funny? I may get it as a blind buy" is asking for the former, not the latter.

From the DVD Talk Forum: Is Barbershop a good blind buy?

Two comments on the DVD, "Great movie and it has plenty of extras jump on it for 14.99." and "In a funny DVD bonus [scene], we find out...". Also, seven people reference the DVD ("I'm picking it up" vs. I returned it") which means they are talking about the overall value of the product, as opposed to "It's not a funny movie."

This should be, and is, a DVD Talk Thread. They are talking about the DVD.

Now, I don't mind short responses to threads. But how excited would you be if the "reviews" in DVD Reviews were like this: "Yes. Very good movie." or "Nope don't buy it. Yuck." These comments don't belong in DVD Reviews, because those aren't reviews!

From the Movie Forum: What's so great about "Barbershop"?

Comments on the DVD: 1, regarding the price. The rest was on the structure of the movie and how it was handled upon its theatrical release. This thread sprang up after the release of the DVD.

This should be, and is, a Movie Talk Thread.

Last one now. DVD Talk had a thread called: Disappointed by "Barbershop". Total posts? 4. Two were saying the DVD wasn't that good, one mentioned, "I had high hopes for it though, some pretty decent extra's on it made up for the disappointment with the movie." One just said they saw the movie in the theatre.

So would you honestly put any of these in DVD Reviews?

purplechoe 01-17-03 04:14 PM

Here's my opinipon why these threads are pretty much worthless when deciding if something is a "good blind buy". Most of the people will not go into a movie discussion in those threads, and will simply say "I loved it", "I hated it", "it was ok". How the hell does that tell you if its a good blind buy? If you seriously want to consider buying something you haven't seen, go to the movies forum where pretty much every mainstream movie is talked about pretty extensively. Very rarely do these "good blind buy" threads have even anything regarding how good of a dvd it is. People are asking wheather the movie itself is good.

Dvd Talk forum should not be clogged with peoples opinions of movies - that should be done in the movie or a review forum!!!!

SOME PEOPLE JUST HAVE A HARD TIME UNDERSTANDING THAT THERE ARE 10+ OTHER FORUM ON DVDTLAK!!!

Store questions don't go into the dvdtalk forum, they should be in the Store Forum. Opinions on movies should be in the Movie Forum. etc...

REMEMBER EVERYBODY, THE "SEARCH" FEATURE IS YOUR FRIEND, NOT AN ENEMY!!!

The Bus 01-17-03 04:20 PM

Originally posted by purplechoe
Here's my opinipon why these threads are pretty much worthless when deciding if something is a "good blind buy".
If they were worthless, why would people start them?

DarthMarklar 01-17-03 04:31 PM

Originally posted by purplechoe
Dvd Talk forum should not be clogged with peoples opinions of movies - that should be done in the movie or a review forum!!!!
That's why I keep suggesting (to the Mods) for a "Blind Buy" category. It should make everyone happy.

1) It'll keep the "Blind Buy" threads from popping up in this forum and
2) It'll offer easy access to people who want to know if they should buy a certain movie blindly.

p.s. I guess no one wants to challenge my point about the Moderator saying this thread isn't a good place for "Blind Buy" topics? :D

DarthMarklar 01-17-03 04:32 PM

Why do they make Pan and Scan DVD's? ;)

jarsim 01-17-03 04:34 PM

I suppose people who ask this question have their reasons. As for myself, I have a pretty good gut instinct on "blind buys". I've rarely ever went wrong . . . sometimes I don't like a DVD the second way through, so I trade them, sell them - whatever - no problem.

Some DVDs are definitely worth asking the question, is it a good blind-buy and I'm specifically speaking of Criterions. If you're going to spend at the very least $20 for a DVD, you're going to want to know if your money will be well spent or not.

DarthMarklar 01-17-03 04:48 PM

Originally posted by jarsim
I suppose people who ask this question have their reasons. As for myself, I have a pretty good gut instinct on "blind buys". I've rarely ever went wrong . . .
And what if EVERYONE says it's a "Great" blind buy? Does that mean you will think it's great? Not necessarily, I had SO many people tell me that Spiderman was a GREAT DVD, but I hated it, so how would've a blind buy topic helped me out?

And to make the argument: "You should talk with people who have the same tastes as you", well my friend and I have almost the EXACT same tastes and, when he ranted and raved over Spiderman, I bought it because I trusted him...I was WRONG!

Post them if you must, but I gotta agree with those who don't understand how they help.

p.s. If you're REALLY that concerned about $20, then should you be making "Blind Purchases" in the first place????? -ohbfrank-

purplechoe 01-17-03 05:23 PM

I guess for the same reason people ask when is Seinfeld, etc.. coming out on semi-weekly basis. Why do the newbies refuse to read the forum rules before posting, etc, etc...

eXcentris 01-17-03 05:26 PM

I'm waiting for someone to ask if Modern Times or Metropolis are good deaf buys.

El-Kabong 01-17-03 06:19 PM

Theatre: as low as $1-5, as high as $10 (or $20 with a date).
DVD: as low as $5-7, as high as $200.

Good lord! 5$ for a theater? Where the hell do you see your movies?!? Around here its 10 bucks - even for an early show! And that's without popcorn and parking.

Might i put forth the suggestion that we steal a page from animeondvd's forum? Change the reviews forum to "Reviews and Recommendations" - where all the "Hey is Series X any good?" threads go.

Groucho 01-17-03 06:24 PM

Well, I had this thread recommended to me, and thought I'd try as a blind read. It started out great, but turned into nothing special. I'm putting it up at Half.com.

DarthMarklar 01-17-03 06:41 PM

Originally posted by El-Kabong
Good lord! 5$ for a theater? Where the hell do you see your movies?!?
I saw "The 6th Sense" & "Me, Myself & Irene" at one of those $5 theaters...To quote Comic Book Guy (The Simpsons) "WORST movie experiences EVER!"

The image on screen was washed out, the sounds was crackly, not only were the floors sticky, but so were the seats!!!! :eek:

Corky 01-17-03 06:51 PM

So, I'll troll you in return: "Saw a movie you didn't like? See it twice more, same price as a DVD!" :rolleyes:
rotfl

Personally I like how these blind buy threads are handled...

1) I feel I can trust a general concensus from peers and come down to a judgement, yes even based on "I love it/I hate it" comments alone..

2) I know most DVDtalkers are smart enough to use spoilers when necessary so I won't get screwed reading a review.

3) DVDtalkers expect the most from dvds so when there is a strong "buy" concensus, that means a lot more than a "two thumbs up" verdict from some critic schmoe that's on a payroll.

4) I don't throw my money away which means I haven't had to sell a bad buy yet... which in turn means I wouldn't know where to start if I had to ebay something to hedge my losses.. It's a viscious cycle!!

Peace.

Axorr 01-17-03 06:52 PM

Furthermore, I bought over 100 DVDs in the past year. However, I only saw 25 movies in the theatre. My investment in DVDs was somewhere north of $2000 (I bought box sets and Criterion OOPs). My investment in the movies was around $200. So, yes, I am a bit more careful about how I spend $2000 as opposed to $200. Woudln't you be?

Well, I guess so, but buying traits are not at issue here. If you are asking if a DVD is a good blind buy - according to your logic - you are basically asking if the movie is worthwhile enough in order to determine if you should spend your hard earned $$$ on it. You are asking for a REVIEW of the DVD (movie). Thus, the threads DO belong in the DVD Review or possibly the Movie Review areas.

[/B]So, CLIFF NOTES:

- People asking about blind buys do not necessarily spend $50/week on movies in the theatre. They may spend more on DVDs than on movies in the theatre, so are more careful about this. You would be more careful with relatively bigger ticket items, right?

- People can say their thoughts in DVD Talk. If they have a full-blown review, they can go to DVD Reviews. [/B]

So, you are saying that the phrase "I think the DVD is great!" does not qualify as a "review" merely because it is not "full-blown" enough? That's a pretty fine hair you're trying to split!

As for me, I spent zero dollars in the theater last year. Zip. Yet I spent more than my wife would like acknowledge on my little collection. If I'm ever skeptical about a "blind buy" purchase, I don't get it. If I'm leaning the other way on the disc, I'll get the silly thing. It's a DVD - a means of entertainment. I don't think I'd go quite so far as calling it an "investment", considering you'd lose money if ya sold all the ones you watched - save for the FEW OOP titles that folks are crazy for...

All in all, it's a moot discussion that the admins will deal with in their own time, I'm sure.

Have a day.

Axorr 01-17-03 06:55 PM

Originally posted by El-Kabong
Might i put forth the suggestion that we steal a page from animeondvd's forum? Change the reviews forum to "Reviews and Recommendations" - where all the "Hey is Series X any good?" threads go.

That's probably the best idea out of this thread yet!

RyoHazuki 01-17-03 07:30 PM

I really don't have a problem with blind buy topics. Most of my dvds are blind buys. Dvdtalkers (well, some) care what other Dvdtalkers think aboot a dvd. They don't want to go to imdb and hear Johnny 11 year-old say how xXx was the best action movie since Tango and Cash. I believe that most people here have more of a knowledge of dvds and motion pictures than most people. When we want to know if an action movie/dvd is good you'll be comparing it to The Killer, Hard Boiled, or Iron Monkey and not just The Matrix, Mummy and xXx. And as for reading critics reviews I can't say that works either. They don't review the dvd and they tend to hate most American movies that cost money to make.

The Antipodean 01-17-03 08:10 PM

Nobody has yet explained how a thread titled "Is Barbershop a blind buy" is any different from the "Review wanted: Barbershop" type threads you see in Reviews. Therefore all these clutter Blind Buy threads should be in reviews. There's just not much of a difference to me IMHO. Why else do we HAVE a reviews forum?

Khan 01-18-03 12:34 AM

I REALLY hate those blind buy threads.

Annoying Person: 'Should I buy a dvd? I'm incapable of finding information for myself. Or thinking much. Sheep outscore me in IQ and personality tests.'

Random Person A: 'Buy it! At any price!!! It's the greatest dvd in the history of the universe.'

Random Person B: 'I would rather gargle sulphuric acid than have that DVD in my house.'

<repeat with minor variations until everyone finally gets bored>

Annoying Person. 'Great! Ok, thanks. Hasn't this thread been a great experience for all of us?'

Dumb and pointless.

Music 01-18-03 02:03 AM

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another was just posted now about Angel Seaon 1.

Can we have a One and Only Blind Buy thread?

Blade 01-18-03 03:19 AM

First, why isn't this in the Feedback Forum? ;)

Second, and just to be clear, I'm not an Admin here anymore so this isn't "official" policy or anything.

Third...it seems to me that the reason they exist and why they aren't moved is twofold...one, because some people like to get a feel for what others thought of a movie/DVD before they buy it, and two, because they don't fall neatly into a single forum...it's not necessarily just asking for everyone's take on the movie (Movie Talk) or the DVD (DVD Reviews), but rather for both.

I could see limiting the number of these threads on the main page, but forcing them into forums they don't fit in or just getting rid of something that's not really that intrusive seems a bit much. Of course, they never really bothered me either. :)

Music 01-18-03 03:28 AM

Ahhhh.... Blade.... I shall miss thee.....

Edith_in_LA 01-18-03 04:43 AM

Watch all your 'unwatched' DVD's first

NO! Go home and watch all your 'unwatched' DVD's before you buy/rent anymore ;)
:hump: